Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #31
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Both cars have the same ZF 6HP26 model tranny.
I stand corrected
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #32
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
I stand corrected

No worries :hihi:
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #33
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTp001
Why are the Ford diffs so tall? I didn't get a GT for good fuel economy.

GT> Grand Tourer, It was never made as a strip weapon it is a open hwy runner which i am sure it does fabulously.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #34
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Unless the two were raced back to back at the same strip, the times are worth 0.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #35
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
Some important numbers...

FPV GT

Power: 302kW
Torque: 540Nm
Gearbox: ZF 6 Speed
Weight 1855kg

0-100km/h: 6.4
0-400m: 14.5

Maserati GranTurismo

Power: 298kW
Torque: 460Nm
Weight: 1880kg

0-100km/h: 5.2
0-400m: 14.3

*Figures attained from Wheels Jan08 edition*

So why is it that the heavier and less powerful Maserati attains better performance times using the same ZF 6 speed (except for the addition of paddle shifters and a different software calibration)?
there was a new maserati at the drags about a month ago, best it could do was a 14.9 in 34 degress.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #36
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:

FPV GT

Weight 1855kg

Maserati GranTurismo

So why is it that the heavier and less powerful Maserati attains better performance times using the same ZF 6 speed (except for the addition of paddle shifters and a different software calibration)?

One vital statistic you forgot to mention, PRICE

FPV GT starts from $62,210
Maserati Gran Turismo starts from $292,800

With such a massive price difference there's no wonder the Maserati is a lot quicker, with that much sticker price per unit, they can afford to spend big on getting the car as fast as possible (even if a large portion of that extra sticker price is taxes and duties).

As we all know, there is a lot more to straight line speed than just simple power/ weight figures. There is gearing ratios, aerodynamics, traction and a raft of other contributing factors.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #37
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
One vital statistic you forgot to mention, PRICE

FPV GT starts from $62,210
Maserati Gran Turismo starts from $292,800

With such a massive price difference there's no wonder the Maserati is a lot quicker, with that much sticker price per unit, they can afford to spend big on getting the car as fast as possible (even if a large portion of that extra sticker price is taxes and duties).

As we all know, there is a lot more to straight line speed than just simple power/ weight figures. There is gearing ratios, aerodynamics, traction and a raft of other contributing factors.
I left price out because its irrelevant to this performance argument.

Aerodynamics.... The difference in drag co-efficient between the FPV and Maserati would be absolutely miniscule in terms of affecting 0-100 performance. It must be down to the grip of having sticky 285s on the back of the Maserati vs the FPVs 245s. The car might also have a certain type of launch control programmed into it where you can build the revs and let it rip to achieve these types of 0-100 times. The FPV GT with the ZF launches off the line HARD in first gear and first is extremely short so I dont think gearing is a problem in the ZF equipped cars. You can see that the FPV claws its way back over the 0-400m where its rolling acceleration is superior.

The times i've quoted seem to be some of the worst out of any FPV GT tested in either Motor or Wheels. Which is strange seeing as though its the new 302 motor.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #38
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
It should be getting updated with the 4.7 V8 stroker engine found in the Alfa Romeo 8C sometime.
That should be an absolute ripper of an engine and really what the Gran Turismo should have been launched with in the first place.

On another note i've noticed that everywhere online is saying 5.2 seconds for the 0-100km/h (0-62mph) dash, which is Maseratis quoted performance figure from their website and brochure. This to me seems like when HSV quoted its new E-Series R8/GTS to do 4.9 0-100km/h and nobody has been able to replicate it. Maybe Wheels didn't actually test the performance and just stuck the official Maserati times in like so many other places have.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

FPV GT

Weight 1855kg

Maserati GranTurismo

Because Wheels can't drive?

Both cars should be around one second faster down the quarter then they managed.

The outgoing Maserati Coupe, the GranSport, with 295kW 451Nm and the not-so-good Maserati Cambiocorsa sequential manual gearbox did 0-100 in 4.7 and the 1/4 in 12.8. So you're telling me a car with a better gearbox, 3kW more power and 9Nm more torque, whilst being mostly the same, is gonna drop 1.4 seconds off its 1/4 time? Yeah okay then...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #40
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Because Wheels can't drive?

Both cars should be around one second faster down the quarter then they managed.

The outgoing Maserati Coupe, the GranSport, with 295kW 451Nm and the not-so-good Maserati Cambiocorsa sequential manual gearbox did 0-100 in 4.7 and the 1/4 in 12.8. So you're telling me a car with a better gearbox, 3kW more power and 9Nm more torque, whilst being mostly the same, is gonna drop 1.4 seconds off its 1/4 time? Yeah okay then...
The same edition of Wheels (Jan 08) as I got those figures for the FPV and GranTurismo from claims the Maserati GranSport does 0-100km/h in 4.9 seconds, however it doesn't give a time for the 0-400m. According to Wheels its also carrying 150kg less weight, weighing in at 1730kg.

The official Maserati Brochure quotes the weight as 1680kg and I'd be more inclined to believe that. That takes the weight saving to a total of 200kg.... which is ALOT. It's like throwing the Boss 302 in an E-series falcon! So you can expect the GranSport to perform alot better than the GranTurismo.

Just to add to that Maseratis claimed weight for the GranTurismo is 1870kg so Wheels is basically spot on with the weight.

My thoughts on the whole thing now is the Maserati GranTurismo is really a 6+ second 0-100 car contrary to what Maserati have lead people to believe.

http://www.maserati.com.au/media/pdf..._gransport.pdf
http://www.maseratigranturismo.com/index.html?lang=us

Last edited by 5.4 GT; 07-02-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #41
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

i'd say the stock rubber is going to be a factor, the maserati is going to come with pirelli p-zero rosso's at a guess, which are going to be a lot better than the factory dunlop items on the falcon, and wider as already mentioned.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #42
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

The handling dynamics are quite fantastic in the Maserati- I cannot make a fair comparison as I have never driven an FPV GT but having driven other XR models, which I (rightly or wrongly) imagine are fairly similar handling wise, the Maserati is a far superior beast at high speeds- and so it should be!
The set up in the suspension is very good but the older Cambiocorsa shift was really poor.

As has been said already, neother are designed as drag track machines.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #43
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
i'd say the stock rubber is going to be a factor, the maserati is going to come with pirelli p-zero rosso's at a guess, which are going to be a lot better than the factory dunlop items on the falcon, and wider as already mentioned.
Rossos rock... Much better than the Dunlops.. but then at twice the price you'd want them to be.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #44
KenP5coupe
JG70

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
The handling dynamics are quite fantastic in the Maserati- I cannot make a fair comparison as I have never driven an FPV GT but having driven other XR models, which I (rightly or wrongly) imagine are fairly similar handling wise, the Maserati is a far superior beast at high speeds- and so it should be!
The set up in the suspension is very good but the older Cambiocorsa shift was really poor.

As has been said already, neother are designed as drag track machines.
But how does the Maz compare with the mighty Landau?
KenP5coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post