Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
ayy_youu
low profile

Default hey newbie here au q's

hey guys

ive currently got a xf ute but im selling it now as ive spent too much money than it deserves (plus im an apprenctice )

i plan to get a 99-2001 au falcon , standard in white , im sick of getting hassled about having a modified car by the cops so im unna have a dead stocker for a while and maybe throw some cash at the motor ,
so the plans would be some where around the lines of , full exhuast and extractors ssv cold air and tb bigger injectors, and a remap or a capa motec thing (cant remeber name)

what rwkw would i expect from this, and what would i need to get say, around 165rwkw or better without resulting to blowers turbos or nos (p plater)

, is there any standard aus out there that came as manual ? cant find one anywheres

second is is there much diffence between au xr6 motor and normal motor?

the plan is for a clean sleeper with enough poke to scare the ricers and holden boys

any help appreciated

ayy_youu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
chubbyba
1tuphute

man no idea about the the kws but the engine should be a difference. the xr6s n the ghia all have the tickford engines, which had about 164kw(xr6) and 168kw(ghia). the stock forte had 157kw. someone can correct me if im wrong.

but if i was u id wait n look for an xr6 manual. hard 2 find but worth it, power, options, plus they hold there value a little more.

it took me 14months 2 find my car, but it was worth it! lol

and with the mods, extractors and exhaust should get u about 10-12rwkw.
u can get a pod? get and edit, flash tunner?(not cheap tho, unless u no sum1 or can do it urself) ahhh n yeh bigger intake.

if u wna worry about the take off u can always change the diff? i wouldnt tho, fuel consumption. but if u wanted to u can put 3.9s or 4.11s. stock is 3.08s? n the xr is 3.45s? again someone tell me if these are wrong.

neways man goodluck n have fun with it, im slowly doing things 2 mine 2, just need the funds
chubbyba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

If youre after a manual, Id be looking for an 'S' model - these came in factory manual guise and have a bit more poke than your base model Fortes etc. They werent made in huge numbers but it should be possible to find one.

165rwkw is pretty easy to do without bringing too much attention to yourself, the basics like exhaust and headers, air intake, cam and an edit would get you there, or very close anyway. All of that is insurance and cop friendly provided you dont go and get a stupidly loud exhaust etc.
Old 22-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Oh and just to answer your question about the difference between XR6 and normal motors - there's basically three types of 6 cyl motor in the AU.

4.0 Intech - basic motor you find in base models, 157kw and needs work to get it moving fairly well.

4.0 Intech HP - found in XR6's, different head and cam to your normal Intech engine, around 164kw from memory. Goes well but again work brings them alive.

4.0 Intech VCT - found in XR6 VCT, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane - has variable cam timing, 172kw but can be tricky to mod if you dont know how to go about it. Often referred to as a difficult engine to mod but not that hard once you understand how they work. If I was looking to get a 6 cylinder model, a VCT would more than likely be the one I would look for.

XR6 HP and VCT do have a few differences that sets them apart, ill let someone go into more detail about these though.
Old 22-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Kryton

since you mentioned that you are a P plater AND an Apprentice, steer clear of EVERYTHING with an XR badge on it.
insurance will be a killer(do an online quote if you dont believe me)

even a povo pack (Forte) auto will seem like a Porsche compared with what you are driving now.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

You could go for a S2 Fairmont and build upon that. If you want the bare bones option, go a S2-3 Futura, not a povo pack, but not loaded up with as much extra weight as a Fairmont or Ghia.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, although the VCT engine has more power, it's coupled with the IRS, which has a weight penalty over the live rear end. The IRS models have the better ride though, going from what's generally accepted info here.

I would also opt for a diff change, 3:45 was XR spec, but 3:7 is a popular balance between power and economy. People are getting good results in autos and manuals. If the power isn't enough after such a change, then I'd contemplate going from auto to manual.

As for engine, you could source a XR6 HP cam, have it fitted and tuned via the capa flash box you mentioned above, and get some great results with that.

Pacemaker extractors, Tickford snorkle, freer flowing air filter topped off with a 2.5 Redback exhaust. Standard cat works fine with such a setup.

Evan (ClassicAU) has just this setup with LSD and the driveability is most impressive. His car inspired me to do almost the same mods. Mine however is on LPG and doesn't have the capa box and is a single spinner, but apart from that, our cars are mostly the same. His also has a larger cat IIRC.

All the best with your deliberations.

P.S, I'd get an SR to start with. The body kit on them look so much nicer than a stock Forte or Futura.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Falcon87
Falcon Unbelievable

My Forte looked good George...Well when i had finished moding it lol! I had no body kit either besides an XR Spoiler and an C2R Grill.
Falcon87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If youre after a manual, Id be looking for an 'S' model - these came in factory manual guise and have a bit more poke than your base model Fortes etc. They werent made in huge numbers but it should be possible to find one.

I had one of those before i had the XR, was a fantastic car, 5 speed, Tickford suspension. Some days I wish I didn't sell it (only because the new owner pranged it).

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayy_youu

what rwkw would i expect from this, and what would i need to get say, around 165rwkw or better without resulting to blowers turbos or nos (p plater)
Hate to burst ur bubble, but P-Platers are not allowed to do any engine modifications at all as far as i am aware.

Not to say that stops us

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Hate to burst ur bubble, but P-Platers are not allowed to do any engine modifications at all as far as i am aware.

Not to say that stops us
it will if you crash and the insurance company wont pay out.

i also believe its any PERFORMANCE enhancing mods. that will include anything from an airfilter/box, exhaust, diff etc.

they could even debate that a brake upgrade is a performance enhancing mod along with larger rims and lowered suspension.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
it will if you crash and the insurance company wont pay out.

i also believe its any PERFORMANCE enhancing mods. that will include anything from an airfilter/box, exhaust, diff etc.

they could even debate that a brake upgrade is a performance enhancing mod along with larger rims and lowered suspension.
Insurance company knows i am a p-plater and i have mods and knows details of the mods..

nothing said

weird aye?

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
LPGUTE

i think AGE is more of a factor in insurance price then p plater...

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
fordman_01
DUB

mines insured full comp under a stock falcon for 1k i havnt told them anything about my mods yet either lol. like bodykit, rims, full exhaust system and sound system. i looked that if they know about this it goes up double the price to almost 2k! so im just gonna tell them about the bodykit and rims and the "replacement" engine parts haha
fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

insurance companies are dumb. when i was a p plater, i told them about my mods (NRMA) and they just said, as long as they are road worthy....

no rise in premium or excess...
Old 23-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Not all insurers are dumb. Bit of info for you - Im insured with Shannons, all mods listed, full comp and Im 21. So im pretty well right. On my policy, the mods are listed in EXACTLY the same order as my forum signature here, I kid you not. So just remember that anything you say/type on here, they may very well find out.
Old 23-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Forget about the bigger throttle body and injectors mate, simply not needed.

Go the extractors (under the standard heat shield), exhaust, snorkel, filter, cam and tune. It will look stock as a rock under the bonnet, and if you keep it quiet, you shouldn't have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Insurance company knows i am a p-plater and i have mods and knows details of the mods..

nothing said

weird aye?
Many insurance companies will also let you take out a policy on an unengineered turbo falcon. All will be fine until the day you make a claim...
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

i found a 5 speed forte, had just got a catback and tickford suspension and it handles great... and goes alright... im also looking at extractors but abit confused on the hi-flow v standard cat war... so many diff opinions, one exhaust place says dont bother i could sell you one but it'd be a waist of money the next says will need it if i do any engine work and will need it or the zorst will hang to low...

remember its not worth spending the extra 3k to get a manual if you could have a fairmont for 9k compered to a forte manual for 12k, go the fairmont... au clutchs take a bit to get work out...

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I thought 'S' model were the same in power as a Forte