Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

Default Front Passenger Water Leak AU2

Hey there. Just got a 2000 AU2 Futura and have found that when it rains the front passenger floor area is getting wet. Its hard top explain where its coming from. Best way would be to say if you stuck your head underneath the footwell, looking up and to the right of the computer attached to the side of the footwell.. Have taken the passenger side piller off and have checked the bungs around the aerial, but they appear to be intact, and when pouring water over the top seems to be coming in futher up and to the right of where the aerial wires come into the cabin. I have re-siliconned a few places on the outside of the car, around the water drain areas, but to no avail.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and could point me in the right direction on how to stop this annoying leak and the best way to go about it.

Continue to attack it from the outside with more silicon or pull the computer and glove box out to see further up into the interior.

I'll post some pics tonight to hopefully give you a better idea of where the water is coming in.

Again, thanks for any suggestions.

jaredhearn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

The water trickles down from underneath the brown covering shown in DFC1042. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1039.JPG (89.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1041.JPG (78.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1042.JPG (96.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would avoid carrying any passengers that have water leaks. LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Burley
CRE.87V

happened to my old laser....pulled off the plastic cover under the windscreen, and ran a bit of sealent on the channel....some of the spot welds had let go????

another story...fiancees old tx3 rusted in this channel so i had to botch up with coke can a tube of sikaflex...
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I have had a similar problem. It drove me insane, a little bit of water would get in the footwell like in your car.

I traced it all the way back up the pillar going from the dash up to the roof. The windscreen sealent had perished, water got in from the top of the windscreen, ran down along the pillar behind the plastic cover of the pillar, under the dash near the front of the windscreen (near the tweeter) then dripped out into the footwell from behind the dash like in your situation.

I initially thought it was a door seal or a seal at the front of the windscreen. I tried siliconing it, but its too hard to seal it properly, such a small gap. I am going to kick the windscreen out on the weekend and get it replaced by insurance, then it will be sealed again properly.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

I dont think this is coming from the windscreen as it was leaking before the windscreen was replaced just days ago, and I dont think its coming from the vent channel because if i pour water down the around the aerial hole only (As shown in picture 1) it still leaks. I've put as much silicon as I can around all the weld joins, but it still leaks.... I'm starting to think that Im gonna have to pull the computer and glovebox out so that I can get right up in there and see whats happening. (Lot of work for a leak). Thanks for your suggestions though...
Old 03-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is the grommet that the aerial cable enters the side panel through still there, and still OK? If it's split, the water will trickle down the aerial cable and drip onto the floor.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

Yeah, that was one of the first things that we looked at. I'm gonna try spraying some Noise Damper spray through the vents and aerial area as its quite thick and hopefully this should seal any welds that may have split/popped. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

Found the problem. In the corner of the passenger firewall, there was a seam crack that ran along the side and bottom. Just used some noise dampner spay and another overcoat of underseal to seal the gap and no more leaks. YEAH... will post some pictures so that anyone else out there can check this area out straight away without all the crap ive gone through....... Hope this helps....
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
LPGUTE

my leak is on the driver side...water keep leaking on my clutch paddel would it be a similar problem?
LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhearn
Found the problem. In the corner of the passenger firewall, there was a seam crack that ran along the side and bottom. Just used some noise dampner spay and another overcoat of underseal to seal the gap and no more leaks. YEAH... will post some pictures so that anyone else out there can check this area out straight away without all the crap ive gone through....... Hope this helps....
Take a few pics of where the cracked seam was and post them up so others may have an idea of where to look (and what to look for!) if they have a similar leak.

Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddingo
my leak is on the driver side...water keep leaking on my clutch paddel would it be a similar problem?

Yeah Ive read a few forums on this one, From what i've read it normally occurs with the manuals. Have a look at this posting http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ght=water+leak

Hopefully points you in the right direction. Luck mate.

Will get them pics up soon. There are on my friends camera.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
roarin

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work with the LPG jet cleaning. 

Hi there bloke. Did you ever get those photo's of where the water was leaking? My series 3 SR is doing the exact same thing & I can't figure out where your description is pointing to
roarin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhearn
Hey there. Just got a 2000 AU2 Futura and have found that when it rains the front passenger floor area is getting wet. Its hard top explain where its coming from. Best way would be to say if you stuck your head underneath the footwell, looking up and to the right of the computer attached to the side of the footwell.. Have taken the passenger side piller off and have checked the bungs around the aerial, but they appear to be intact, and when pouring water over the top seems to be coming in futher up and to the right of where the aerial wires come into the cabin. I have re-siliconned a few places on the outside of the car, around the water drain areas, but to no avail.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and could point me in the right direction on how to stop this annoying leak and the best way to go about it.

Continue to attack it from the outside with more silicon or pull the computer and glove box out to see further up into the interior.

I'll post some pics tonight to hopefully give you a better idea of where the water is coming in.

Again, thanks for any suggestions.
I had the same problem in my AUII. It's the heater box, which has completely rusted out and started to leak. This is why I tell everybody to use proper coolant not water :

To get to it you will need to remove glove box and dash trim. A simple trick is to pull the heater hoses off the firewall and loop them so they don't circulate to the heater box and leak into your foot well. But that leaves you without a heater when it comes to winter.

NO AMOUNT OF SILICON WILL STOP THIS LEAK!

Replace heater core/box and use rust inhibitor in your coolant. I have a complete air con unit / heater box for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11208762

Do it right, do it once.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
jaredhearn
Starter Motor

Well, unfortuantly I couldnt find the pictures I took. I blame the wife
But I was reading over my original postings on how I fixed the problem, and didnt really give enough description, so to all you out there that has a similar problem to mine, this is well worth a go first.... Within the Engine bay of the passenger side, remove the washer fluid bottle. behind there near where the bottle sits on the wheel arch, you will see the seam that runs horizontally across and follows down the wheel arch. This is where the seam had obviously split. As mentioned, I just used a can of noise deadner and sprayed all along the seam. For what took me 2 days of trying to find it, came down to a 10 minute job. Just knowing where to look is the main thing ahe Hope this helps..