Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
tomo123
tomo123

Default au xr8 3"exhaust

i'am considering fitting single 3" inch exhaust system from the cats back, running 1 straight through muffler and 1 resonator. lukey and red back sells the system off the shelf. was wondering if anyone has used the system or has heard any reports on it?

tomo123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

If you dont get any Info , Try Posting in the V8 Forums .. You might catch something in there ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

most people reccommend a twin 2.5" system for the V8's for best sound/performance.

but what would i know, i drive a Fairmont I6 :
Old 25-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Well Put Pops ..

Old 25-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Im running a Lukey 3" growl system on my XR8. With exhaust it will come down to your personal preferance. There will be some that will say a single is good and others will say a twin system is good. It really depends on what you like. Mine is a twin 2.5" out of the cats then into a single 3" through a muffler and then 3" mandrel ment around the IRS and out the back. I got a Y piece with twin 2.5" tips installed just so it looks a little factory. Apart from the tips the rest is an off the shelf lukey system. I am also running pacemaker tri Y esxtractors.
here is a clip of the sound

And its the video camera cutting out not the car . I must get a new vid done now with the new engine mods.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
DJRAU3XR8
Starter Motor

I am new here so please be gentle. I had the offer to have a 2.5inch herrod mandrel bent stainless fitted to my series 3 XR8. Needless to say i went for it, it consists of twin system with 1 muffler on each pipe then back into twin system and out. I have to say it sounds great and plenty of other people think the same.
DJRAU3XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Theres only one problem you have there DJRAU3XR8 , HERROD .

Ask REDXR347 about Herrod Stuff ..

Old 25-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR

i dunno, the herrod exhaust sounds pretty tough on my dads BA lol
Old 25-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:

Herrod stuff was good in its day, but that was nearly 8 years ago when the AU's were first released. I wouldnt think that there would be much herrod stuff from that era that is any good at all nowdays.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
DJRAU3XR8
Starter Motor

When you get it for free from herrods supplier i aint complaining!!! My mates brother works for a company in Bathurst who supplies herrods. He required a donor car to make up the casts for the au system and i wasnt going to say no. So all it cost me was a 3 hour drive from Gosford to Bathurst and back and a carton for his efforts. The only real herrod thing about it is the stamp in the mufflers.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAU3XR8
When you get it for free from herrods supplier i aint complaining!!! My mates brother works for a company in Bathurst who supplies herrods. He required a donor car to make up the casts for the au system and i wasnt going to say no. So all it cost me was a 3 hour drive from Gosford to Bathurst and back and a carton for his efforts. The only real herrod thing about it is the stamp in the mufflers.
So he works at HiTech headers?

My opinion of Herrod gear is that it is ok but it is not by any means the best like it may have once been.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
Im running a Lukey 3" growl system on my XR8. With exhaust it will come down to your personal preferance. There will be some that will say a single is good and others will say a twin system is good. It really depends on what you like. Mine is a twin 2.5" out of the cats then into a single 3" through a muffler and then 3" mandrel ment around the IRS and out the back. I got a Y piece with twin 2.5" tips installed just so it looks a little factory. Apart from the tips the rest is an off the shelf lukey system. I am also running pacemaker tri Y esxtractors.

And its the video camera cutting out not the car . I must get a new vid done now with the new engine mods.
sounds good...:
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
DJRAU3XR8
Starter Motor

Yeah well at the end of the day it SOUNDS like a v8. Way better than factory.
Old 26-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
XEESP_351

I had a single 3 inch Lukey system on my AUIII XR8 exactly the same as u have stated in your first post it cracked at the outlet of the front muffler and was only 80,000klms old..I didnt think it sounded very good anyways..I have now put on a twin 2 1/2 Manta System 2 font mufflers and no rear mufflers or resonators (race tail pipes Manta call them) and the great thing is it doesnt drone...Although i do have a manual, Autos tend to drone more..It sounds similar to TICK4D-TAS..
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
whiteELXR6

aren't hi-tech headers in sunshine vic?
whiteELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
DJRAU3XR8
Starter Motor

Nupe, Hi Tech Mufflers are located at Kelso Industrial Estate just outside Bathurst. Needless to say after my exhaust was fitted you know where i went for some laps!
Old 27-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

The Herrod catback for the AU XR8 are good so I'll defend them on that as were the old 4>1 headers that were made by Difillipo which are still on mine. Come to think of it I still have a couple of Herrod bits on mine like the springs and the intake pipe. Anything else from Herrod (like cats : ) is not so good and I wouldn't go anywhere near there for tuning.

As for the original question for a stock to near stock XR8 I wouldn't go any bigger than a single 2.5" system, a lot of people here will disagree. You will lose a couple of kw at the top of the rev range but you gain a lot of torque down low and in the mid range.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #18
tomo123
tomo123

most of the au's i've seen are running the twin 2.5" and i've heard good reports all round wif that, but nce i started shopping the majority of exhaust shops said we gave that the flick it desn't wrk as good as the 3" single. that y i am in a bit of a dilemer.
Old 27-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
tomo123
tomo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS

did u notice much of a power increase?
Old 27-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
markxr6t

I have an AU XR8 220 which was totally stock. I wanted the cheapest way to make it sound good (Got an XR6T, so I wasn't fussed about the XR8s performance). Found an excellent exhaust shop who custom made a mandrel bent 2.5" single cat back system with a Lukey Sports straight through muffler and a resonator. Sounds fantastic, doesn't drone and I was very surprised by the noticeable improvement in torque across the rev range. All for $440 - best money I've spent.

I haven't experienced it personally, but have read (HM Headers testing I think) and heard that going 3" single will actually reduce your low down torque due to less scavenging on an otherwise stock engine.

So from personal experience on a stocker I would happily recommend a 2.5" single with a straight through muffler and resonator.

Mark
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #21
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo123
did u notice much of a power increase?
I did at the time. But i also had the unichip retuned. So it would of beena combination of both. The biggest thing i noticed is how easier it reved out to the redline.
Old 27-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxr6t
I have an AU XR8 220 which was totally stock. I wanted the cheapest way to make it sound good (Got an XR6T, so I wasn't fussed about the XR8s performance). Found an excellent exhaust shop who custom made a mandrel bent 2.5" single cat back system with a Lukey Sports straight through muffler and a resonator. Sounds fantastic, doesn't drone and I was very surprised by the noticeable improvement in torque across the rev range. All for $440 - best money I've spent.

I haven't experienced it personally, but have read (HM Headers testing I think) and heard that going 3" single will actually reduce your low down torque due to less scavenging on an otherwise stock engine.

So from personal experience on a stocker I would happily recommend a 2.5" single with a straight through muffler and resonator.

Mark
All true there. HM are right you do lose torque. Going from the single to the twin on mine I noticed a drop in low end torque. That's on a 347 so I would think it would be even worse on a 302.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #23
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
All true there. HM are right you do lose torque. Going from the single to the twin on mine I noticed a drop in low end torque. That's on a 347 so I would think it would be even worse on a 302.
Not necessarily with torque loss, i know with mine i havent lost low down torque, infact it is better than factory system, though i wouldnt put the same system as mine on an auto.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post