Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Trebby
Starter Motor

Default Central locking - Accidentally locking keys in car

I have a 1995 EF Fairmont. This weekend a baby was locked accidentally inside the car. The keys were in my handbag in the front seat, front and one rear door were closed. The passenger side rear door was closed but didnt close properly when the door was then tried to be reopened the car locked.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Also did anyone know that babies locked in cars get priority help from RACQ/NRMA even if you are not a member?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebby
Also did anyone know that babies locked in cars get priority help from RACQ/NRMA even if you are not a member?
Ye I do roadside and when it's a child in a locked car everything is dropped, not only that but they also call most if not all of the available service providers in that area to ensure someone gets their quick, in case one gets stuck in traffic or similar.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
I have a 1995 EF Fairmont. This weekend a baby was locked accidentally inside the car. The keys were in my handbag in the front seat, front and one rear door were closed. The passenger side rear door was closed but didnt close properly when the door was then tried to be reopened the car locked.
This doesn't seem to make a word of sense to me. But maybes its just me.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Has anyone else had this happen?

Unless there was something in your bag that leant against the button - they do not lock them selves automatically once you have opened the door
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
89 S-PACK

i rethought my post and removed it

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG23BP
Unless there was something in your bag that leant against the button - they do not lock them selves automatically once you have opened the door
I had an EL Fairmont and unless the ignition was turned on within a certain time (2 minutes i think) of unlocking the car remotely, it would re-lock.

I found this out the hard way, unlocking the car, keys in ignition but not turned on, turned around to say goodbye to someone and shut the door - couple of minutes later i was rewarded by the sound of the door locks cycling - the an hours wait for the RAA

Only did it once though!! Then i learnt.......

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
AHMD6T
Banned

Sometimes, but very rarely if the locks on the front doors of tibbe lock equipped cars aren't adjusted correctly or sitting correctly - lifting the door handle when the door is partially open will LOCK the doors.

I've had this problem before but luckily at home.
AHMD6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
Trebby
Starter Motor

Thanks for all your replies, not sure what happened and I don't seem to be able to reconstruct the scenario to make it happen again.
Oh well will be more carefull now.

Hard lesson learnt.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Even if you lock the car somehow whilst still being in it, the car won't automatically re-lock itself if it detects the interior light going on when a door is opened. I can't see how it can be done?

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
efgiar
rofl copter

if there is a fauly actuator it can lock itself, it can also unlock it self when it feels like, many a time ive walked away from my car, locked it, and come back and its unlocked, even if its in my drive way at home.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG23BP
Oh they do - my EL has done this to me once before and tried to do it several times after that. The first and only time it locked my keys inside was when I was closing the gate while the engine was running and keys in ignition

Opened the door, got out, door closed on itself due to angle of car, a second later I turn around and heard the lock actuator noise and badda bing my keys were locked in it.

Lucky I was at home so I ran and got my spare set. Since that day I always wind my window down if I'm getting out to close a gate,etc.

Nothing was leaning on the key (it couldn't have it since it was in the ignition) and other than the door shutting, nothing was disturbed. I'm just glad it happened at home where I had my spare set.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
Trebby
Starter Motor

I am not sure how it happened, but my real aim in posting this thread was to help raise awareness of accidentally having a child locked in a car and the options available to help the situation.

Thanks for your interest in my thread though

A tried and true Ford fan.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trebby

i have a 98 el and have kids (3 of for me) and being that my el does lock the doors in the same way as you described it scares the hell out of me to think your kids were locked in the car

i probably would have just smashed a window to get in

a window is a small price to pay in the long run

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 05-03-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed spelling again
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
Trebby
Starter Motor

Grimus,

If my little Grandbaby had been distressed or in any danger there would be no second thought, and a window would have been broken immediately. As it was we were undercover, it was quite a cool day and early in the morning, he was safely strapped in his car seat and thought the game his aunty and grandmother were playing was the best fun ever. Once he started to become upset we were about to smash a window when we finally got the door open.
Unfortunately his Mum was the one who was the most frantic.

To anyone who may have been at Grand Plaza on that morning and stopped to help or make sure we were ok, a huge hug of gratitude.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #15
futura95
Starter Motor

I have a 95 futura, and a couple of times this un-explained phenomenon has happened to me, pull up from going somewhere turn the car off and within say 2min the car locks by itself?????.......... It is strange!!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
futura95
Starter Motor

I have a 95 futura, and a couple of times this un-explained phenomenon has happened to me, pull up from going somewhere turn the car off and within say 2min the car locks by itself?????.......... It is strange!! My brother has a 95 GLI and he said its happened to him too!