Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
fordman_01
DUB

Default HELP!... after fog lights installed car shakes

hey, after i hooked the fog lights to the battery my au1 starts shaking as i turn it on and revs at about 500rpm for a few secs then goes back to 1000rpm. it also starts shaking when im stationery at the lights or when im doing 20-30kms and then goes away for a few secs then comes back. when it starts it feels like its gonna stall but doesnt. my fuel tank has 60kms remaining but i dont think this would be the problem right?

i have hooked the lights like this; the 2 black wires for earth to the negative terminal and the red wire and blue wire to the positive terminal. so that means i can turn the lights on and off seperetly without using the high beam.

o and when i first connected it up and turned the car on my hazard lights would flash automatically and i would not be able to turn it off for about 30 secs....???????

any help would be great guys.

cheers neil

fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

I think you've got too much initial drain on your battery and alternator as soon as you switch them on. They should be running through a relay. "JC" recently did a thread on wiring up spot/fog lights with an easy to follow diagram...do a search, i'm sure you'll find it.

Here it is, it's on a thread that you started yourself.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=wiring+lights
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Fog lights are for people who live in fog. Brisbane is lucky to have fog three days a year. Fog lights are annoying sh11t that i high beam people who have them damn stupid fog lights on.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
ptwhite2003

Default Fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Fog lights are for people who live in fog. Brisbane is lucky to have fog three days a year. Fog lights are annoying sh11t that i high beam people who have them damn stupid fog lights on.
Amen, brother.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Don't start this argument again, the thread is in relation to a technical issue, not the pros and cons of having foggies.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Did you reset the ecu after installing the lights?
My guess is that you disconnected the battery during the install?

If so a ecu reset will fix the stutering car problem.

As by LG on the old aufalcon.com
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
To Reset AU ECU…
Disconnect the battery for approx 40minutes to 1 hour.

Once reconnected do the following:

AUTO Transmission:

- Reset Computer by disconnecting battery (Take off the positive terminal lead)
- When power is re-connected, start car and idle in this sequence…
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in drive and A/C on.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in drive and A/C off.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in neutral and A/C on.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in neutral and A/C off.
- Drive the car on the road, for at least 5 minutes under variable throttle positions.

MANUAL Transmission:

- Same as above, except put the transmission in gear for (drive).

Often, resetting the ECU can give the car a fresh start, improving performance, economy and smoothness. It is recommended that an ECU reset is done after any modification to allow the computer to relearn the car and the driver.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Cheers

Last edited by superroo; 11-03-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: he card read good
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippitydip
I think you've got too much initial drain on your battery and alternator as soon as you switch them on. They should be running through a relay. "JC" recently did a thread on wiring up spot/fog lights with an easy to follow diagram...do a search, i'm sure you'll find it.

Here it is, it's on a thread that you started yourself.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=wiring+lights
yeh mate this is the one i used
Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
haha tru that, as soon as i turned em on i got highbeamed atleast by 3 cars..... no probs lol just turned my high beams on and showed them the finger haha
Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Don't start this argument again, the thread is in relation to a technical issue, not the pros and cons of having foggies.
thanks b2tf
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Did you reset the ecu after installing the lights?
My guess is that you disconnected the battery during the install?

If so a ecu reset will fix the stutering car problem.

As by LG on the old aufalcon.com
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
To Reset AU ECU…
Disconnect the battery for approx 40minutes to 1 hour.

Once reconnected do the following:

AUTO Transmission:

- Reset Computer by disconnecting battery (Take off the positive terminal lead)
- When power is re-connected, start car and idle in this sequence…
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in drive and A/C on.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in drive and A/C off.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in neutral and A/C on.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in neutral and A/C off.
- Drive the car on the road, for at least 5 minutes under variable throttle positions.

MANUAL Transmission:

- Same as above, except put the transmission in gear for (drive).

Often, resetting the ECU can give the car a fresh start, improving performance, economy and smoothness. It is recommended that an ECU reset is done after any modification to allow the computer to relearn the car and the driver.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Cheers
thanks for ur help man, the probs was that my idle was too low so so we adjusted it higher and the shaking stoped.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
fordman_01
DUB

OK THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED ATM AND HOPEFULLY FOREVER LOL.

the blinkers were going off tap cos of some alarm system needed to be reset lol, my holden mad mate fixed that surprisingly.

thanks for all your help guys,
neil