Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Lightbulb Dash re-colouring

I want to basically have a black dash to match the seats, door trims and carpet... its currently in two shades of grey, as they are original. So, how do i go about this?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I want to basically have a black dash to match the seats, door trims and carpet... its currently in two shades of grey, as they are original. So, how do i go about this?
put in a black dash, or paint/colour dye it ?

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 10-03-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what i have seen and read, a few of the E series guys have dyed their dashes and door trims etc.

Im not sure where you could get the dye from though sorry.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Check out my build thread. I dyed and painted my grey dash.
I'll post some more pics when i get home, on mobile at the moment.
It could be done a lot easier than what i have done, but i will tell you all that once i'm on a computer.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Check out my build thread. I dyed and painted my grey dash.
I'll post some more pics when i get home, on mobile at the moment.
It could be done a lot easier than what i have done, but i will tell you all that once i'm on a computer.

Cheers
I definetly want to know more about the products you used, where you got them from and how you applied them...
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

OK, now I’m on a computer.
Before pics:

Now pics, Full black and blue interior, headliner and sun visors:

The interior is the same as the original pics, bar seats and door trims. The colour match is really good. Even the dash vents are the same as what came with the car:

The products that I used were VHT vinyl dye on the dash pad, a pillar trims, and most of the other black parts. On the sun visors and upper B pillar trim I have used a black paint. There are parts of the dye that is funny, and I’ve been meaning to touch them up.

The way that it was done is that I stripped all of the interior back, to just having the dash in there. Every thing that could be pulled out of the dash was. EG. Cluster, center fascia, seats, door trims, glove box, side panels passenger airbag, steering wheel, steering column covers, as I said I mean everything. This is the only pic I have:

Then went over the vinyl dash pad a few times with k&h wax/grease remover. Taped up overspray areas, and then sprayed. Not as how the can says though. Through all my use of the dye I found that doing one layer, let it dry until touch dry, and then apply next layer, and so on until your happy with the colour. Oh and you don't need to wait 72 as per VHT say, couple of hours are sufficient

Doing the dash took me two weeks. But that was due to the painting the bottom part. Truth be told, doing the dash pad alone took me a day. I would say two days though for stripping and re-assemble.

All products used were brought from autobarn, and I’ve gone through stupid amounts of dye and paint to get to this stage now, but it's still not done. I still need to modify and paint blue the center fascia, paint some other parts, and then some other things.

The only problem that I have with the vinyl dye is that it is not a real "hardy" product. I've found it scratch of easily. I tried paint on the sun visors and top B pillar cover to combat this but it still has scratched off, but not as much as the dye.
Although even "nargee's" pursuit who had the interior dyed professionally is still wearing the colour thin and through in the same areas as what mine are, so yeah. See detail below of unhardy dye.

That’s about all that I can think off. If you want details of how the bottom part of the dash is painted, I’ll post that too. But I would recommend against doing that unless you are really comfortable with painting.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

awesome job superroo, very well done
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

that is a damn good job! well done~!!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
superroo

Should also say that in the VHT range, satin black is what you need. That is the colour that the interior is currently done in.

Gloss black is what the steering wheel airbag was originally done in, and as you can see it is the wrong colour.
Charcole is only a slight darker shade than what the grey of the original interior is. I have no pics but i can say it is the wrong colour.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Damn... sounds like it wont be a good idea for a long time... thanks all the same.. time to find a black dash... :(
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
aye you
The Origional, The Best

awesome job there roo

i'd be thinking that finding a balck dash set would be your best option, since it will be a little more scratch resistant as opposed to the dying method.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #12
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
awesome job there roo

i'd be thinking that finding a balck dash set would be your best option, since it will be a little more scratch resistant as opposed to the dying method.
I was offered a Series 2 black dash for a good price, plus fuel to get it... but seeing as no-one has answered my question about fitting one... i dnt know if i can do it or not...
Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
aye you
The Origional, The Best

have you tried the Au god, JC?
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

With the centre facia (radio surround/aircon switches), would paint hold up on that?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
superroo

Yeah, the paint seams to be more hard wearing than the dye. My center fascia was done quickly with K&H rapid dry enamal, and i've had no problem witht that yet. All that involved spraying it was a few coats of plastic primer then paint.

You just need to give it a clean with wax/grease remover and plastic prime and you should have no problems what so ever.

As for doing the dash. If you did the top part in vyinal dye and the bottom in that rapid dry enamal you should have a problem with "hardy-ness". It's only the dye on plastics that i've had a problem with.

You should be able to do it in under a day really, if you coloured the whole dash.

Cheers
Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #16
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Yeah, the paint seams to be more hard wearing than the dye. My center fascia was done quickly with K&H rapid dry enamal, and i've had no problem witht that yet. All that involved spraying it was a few coats of plastic primer then paint.

You just need to give it a clean with wax/grease remover and plastic prime and you should have no problems what so ever.

As for doing the dash. If you did the top part in vyinal dye and the bottom in that rapid dry enamal you should have a problem with "hardy-ness". It's only the dye on plastics that i've had a problem with.

You should be able to do it in under a day really, if you coloured the whole dash.

Cheers

Ah.. cheers mate... that helps me more... now i wont have a problem with doing it... but using the dye.. is it a spray or wipe on process?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
superroo

It's a spray can. You spray it onto the surface, let it penetrate/dry then spray again.
Just remember lost of light coats are better than one heavy coat. Run's are a pain to fix up.

Cheers
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
It's a spray can. You spray it onto the surface, let it penetrate/dry then spray again.
Just remember lost of light coats are better than one heavy coat. Run's are a pain to fix up.

Cheers
Cheers... I am yet to find a VHT seller here in Bathurst, but AutoOne sell Motorspray...

Last edited by BLUEPRINT; 11-03-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added URL
InfernoSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #19
superroo

As i said, it's avalible from autobarn, but there are a few brands of vinyl dye. Supercheap have one that i can't think the name of, K&H do one, and there are more. I just chose VHT because i knew the name and had seen their adds.

Cheers
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Supercheap do Septone...

Ok, as a price comparison, how much did you pay a can?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
superroo

$15ish

Think i've gone through 10+ with all the stuff i've done. For just doing the viynl top, 2 should cover your *** nicely

Cheers

Last edited by superroo; 11-03-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: mssing lettersf plus exra's aND stUpid capS
Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
$15ish

thinks i've gone through 10+ with all the stuff i've done. For just doing th viynl top, 2 should cover your *** nicely

Cheers
I'm not dying my *** though... :togo:
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #23
superroo

: so what are you going to do? Full dash swap?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #24
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
: so what are you going to do? Full dash swap?
Sorry... word disappeared on me :P

I gotta way up the 2 options, re-colour or replace... depends on cost...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #25
superroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I'm not dying my *** though... :togo:
:Sorry, thick headed me just got that joke
Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #26
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
:Sorry, thick headed me just got that joke
It happens... even to the best of us