Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Hank_1
Starter Motor

Default Instrument Cluster Problem

Car: 2001 AUII Futura Classic

Problem: Instruments intermittently dying on me. LCD trip meter in the centre bottom of view goes blank, rev counter, speedo, fuel and oil temp guages freeze in place. Problem lasts whilst I drive - the following morning they're ok again.

Rebel Ford Diagnosis: Car in today - they tell me there could be a dry joint or problem on the circuit board driving the gauges. New instrument cluster $750 + labour + resetting odometer?

Anybody got a more cost effective alternative? I'd really appreciate some help here.

Hank_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank_1
Car: 2001 AUII Futura Classic

Problem: Instruments intermittently dying on me. LCD trip meter in the centre bottom of view goes blank, rev counter, speedo, fuel and oil temp guages freeze in place. Problem lasts whilst I drive - the following morning they're ok again.

Rebel Ford Diagnosis: Car in today - they tell me there could be a dry joint or problem on the circuit board driving the gauges. New instrument cluster $750 + labour + resetting odometer?

Anybody got a more cost effective alternative? I'd really appreciate some help here.
i'm sure you could pick up a second hand instrument cluster from a wrecker for $150 or so. I know BA units go for this much so i'd imagine an AU wouldn't be too much different. As long as you don't mind it having a different KM reading.

Try contacting site sponsor FTG Autosalvage
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Hank_1
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice mate...this seems reasonable.

I found a reference to instructions on removing the cluster at http://www.aufalcon.com/aufalcon.htm , then looking under "workshop" for an article explaining how to remove the cluster. Unfortunately the weblink no longer works; I think the website address was changed.

Anybody got a new link to this article?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Dont have a link but provided you're careful it is easy to do.

At the top of the cluster there's 2 plastic plugs, carefully prise these out and you'll see 2 philips head screws. Undo these, then carefully prise the cluster out, making sure you get the actual cluster and not just the plastic fascia in front of it.

The easiest way I've found is to pop out the fuel door/boot release buttons (they just pull out) from the dash, and then wedge a long screwdriver up behind the cluster and carefully prise it out that way. If you've never had it out before, it can be pretty firm and hard to get moving, but once you've got it on it's way, its a very simple process.

Obviously refitting is the reverse.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank_1
Anybody got a new link to this article?
Here it is:-
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=305
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Hank_1
Starter Motor

Thanks for the quick help guys!

Can I simply use any AUII cluster?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

yep. should be a straight swap.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When you get it out check the cable conections, soem of the wires may be 'lose'. turn the keys to just before you start the engine, move the cable and see if any of the lights come on/off.

Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Hank_1
Starter Motor

Hey Uncle Ken,
Do you mean my problems may simply be related to a loose wire? (rather than a bum unit)

Since the problem is intermittent I guess the best time to do this is when it's not working?

Murphy's Law - it's been fine all the way home from the Ford Dealer and all the way to work today!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I just know I thought my door locks had gone but having spent a weekend pulling of all the door trims checking and then replacing them I pulled out the cluster unpluged/pluged and hey presto all good. If you have a go leave the cluster out and drive around the block (carfully of course) and keep an eye on the cluster. If you are lucky it might just be a lose conection

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
When you get it out check the cable conections, soem of the wires may be 'lose'. turn the keys to just before you start the engine, move the cable and see if any of the lights come on/off.

Uncle Ken
Good suggestion Ken, many a gremlin has been caused by a loose connection / plug.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
tickford90

Hey guys,
My cluster has stuffed up too so i bought one from ebay and the seller was from a wrecker and had tested it and everything and it worked properly (according to them). But it doesnt' light up when the headlights are on, the right indicator doesn't display but it click and works, and the tacho jumps as it increases but is normal when decreasing. Does anyone know if it is just a fuse or something along those lines. I have pulled out and swapped the fuse in the fusbox below the steering wheel and unplugged the cluster and reconnected it too??? thanks guys look forward to your suggestions. P.S. everything works other than that
tickford90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford90
Hey guys,
My cluster has stuffed up too so i bought one from ebay and the seller was from a wrecker and had tested it and everything and it worked properly (according to them). But it doesnt' light up when the headlights are on, the right indicator doesn't display but it click and works, and the tacho jumps as it increases but is normal when decreasing. Does anyone know if it is just a fuse or something along those lines. I have pulled out and swapped the fuse in the fusbox below the steering wheel and unplugged the cluster and reconnected it too??? thanks guys look forward to your suggestions. P.S. everything works other than that
Check your globes there probably burnt out,
Also with sticky tach needles, you will find the needle base is touching the display facia, you might have to lift the clear plastic of and then with two screw drivers lightly lift the needle up a little, enough so it won't touch the facia.
This happened to mine only in warm weather, and after a 20min drive at night when the instrament light's where on, it heated the facia lightly warping it enough to make the needle stick.
cheers mick.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
tickford90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURSUIT-250
Check your globes there probably burnt out,
Also with sticky tach needles, you will find the needle base is touching the display facia, you might have to lift the clear plastic of and then with two screw drivers lightly lift the needle up a little, enough so it won't touch the facia.
This happened to mine only in warm weather, and after a 20min drive at night when the instrament light's where on, it heated the facia lightly warping it enough to make the needle stick.
cheers mick.
Thanks for your advice but with the globes I have replaced the globes and still no good. Anyone else have some thoughts? Is there fuses in the cluster itself?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Hank_1
Starter Motor

It's now four days since the "problem" was diagnosed, and I've driven the car on three out of the four days doing about 200km....NO PROBLEMS?

"Knock on wood", it was a dodgy connection that got inadvertently "fixed" when the Ford guys pulled it out and stuck it back in!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford90
Hey guys,
Did you replace a low series cluster with an XR or High series item? If so, you'd have a few issues, one being the right indicator, the other being the abs light.

There are some wires that need cutting from the right plug and connecting to pins on the cluster. Pain of a job. I had mine working okay but the "new" cluster had a faulty temp gauge. I haven't got around to having another go at it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
tickford90

Oh yeah you read my mind!! I want to take it to an auto electrician but I just needed to know exactly what was wrong with it so they don't charge me an arm and a leg. Thanks for the input, I did swap the low series with the XR version. They only had the XR ones on ebay so yeah. Thanks for that, I'll get a professional to do it. Does anyone know of a good auto electrician on the Gold Coast???