Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Default How to change plugs & leads

I'd like to have a go at changing these over on my series 1 as i bought some today.

Looked in the technical resources section, couldn't find a how to on it, but is it relatively simple or should i get one of my mechanically inclined mates to do it?

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

not mechanically challenging, just physically, hope u got a flexible arm

plugs is straight forward, just remember to use a little bit grphite grease on plug thread and ensure that the crush washer is properly cruched when plugs are to be reinstalled

as for leads, dont mix up the order:
front pair: 1 & 6
middle pair: 2 & 5
rear pair: 3 & 4

removed air box and intalke snorkel and ensure engine is dead cold, other wise u WILL burn urself on heater pipe
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I find swearing helps when putting the coil end on. I like to do it from underneath.
Old 29-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Yeah i got some dielectric grease from supercheap auto, is that the same stuff ur talkin about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
I find swearing helps when putting the coil end on. I like to do it from underneath.

OOOOFT.

/confidence plummets

Currently:
Old 29-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Yeah i got some dielectric grease from supercheap auto, is that the same stuff ur talkin about?

OOOOFT.

/confidence plummets

No - you can do it, its just fiddly and if you have big hands/fingers its just a fraction harder.

You will get it done.
Old 30-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
fordman_01
DUB

damn if only i new bout this earlier lol. last week i forked out almost 200 buks to get new NGK leads put in from my mech......:(
fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your mech ripped you off something awefull. It took a mate and I about 15 minutes first go to get it done. I could have done it myself, but it would have taken 10 minutes more.. Through either moving the airbox out of the way or passing each lead down one at a time, then hopping under each time to connect it.

Absolute peice of cake, even for a newbie.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

OOOOFT.

/confidence plummets
Even a small ammount of engine oil does the trick.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best bet is to take them off one at a time and replace them individually, that way you cant mess up the firing order. as stated just remove airbox and pipework up to the throttle body, give your throttle body and maybe your Idle control a clean out while it's apart and it takes a bit of fiddling to do from the top but you can get it no worries, wont take too long.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Cheers for advice guys.

Just got home from a 30 min drive, gonna wait an hour or so for it all to cool down and then give it a go.

I had better not stuff this up! LoL

Currently:
Old 30-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Flyn
AU 1

OK for the plug leads....but what about the coil pack. Is it possible to replace this from the top?
Flyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn
OK for the plug leads....but what about the coil pack. Is it possible to replace this from the top?
nope, you can't get it out as there isn't enough room between the inlet manifold ans the block, tried it before....
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
amisupposed2b

I must admit, the changing the leads has lead me to get really irritated with where they put the coil pack....
amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I found the AU easier than my XG ute... which is easier than my parents DA1 LTD...

I ended up having leads that were numbered anyway, which made things alot easier... :P
Old 31-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

If the EF coilpack location is the same as AU (which I think it is), I remember it being a bastard of a job! Didn't take long, maybe 20 minutes as a first timer, but boy was it painful!!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I ended up having leads that were numbered anyway, which made things alot easier... :P
Even with the numbered leads i still managed to screw it up! Even changing one lead at a time! I am perplexed how i managed to not get it right first go.

Definately not a hard thing to do, but as you guys said, physically challenging!

Took me about 40 minutes to complete it, that includes taking the airbox and pipework off twice when i realised i had stuffed up the firing order, lol.

Once again, cheers for all your help guys

Currently:
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #17
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even with the numbered leads i still managed to screw it up! Even changing one lead at a time! I am perplexed how i managed to not get it right first go.

Definately not a hard thing to do, but as you guys said, physically challenging!

Took me about 40 minutes to complete it, that includes taking the airbox and pipework off twice when i realised i had stuffed up the firing order, lol.

Once again, cheers for all your help guys
when you screw it up and it's misfiring (i got distracted and didn't plug one lead into the dizzy) it feels like your car is being hit with a sledgehammer hey? horrible feeling:P

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuldiner
when you screw it up and it's misfiring (i got distracted and didn't plug one lead into the dizzy) it feels like your car is being hit with a sledgehammer hey? horrible feeling:P
Oh my God, doesn't it ever!

I felt sick after that and when i fixed it all up and plugged all the leads in properly, i didn't want to turn my key, lmfao. It seriously took me like 2 or 3 mins to build up the courage to turn it

Currently: