Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default Aftermarket High-Energy Coilpack

Has anyone tried one of these yet? Mustang V6 Coil or one of these perhaps? V6 Truck Coil or maybe one of these? Accel Coil

The Mustang one seems to be the same as the Explorer one. Does anyone have an Explorer coilpack handy to see how it compares with the 2 types used in the AU?

It seems that any of them allow the plug gap to be opened out to 1.6mm.

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the explorer one has the same plug as ef/au1, but i'm not sure if the plug it wired the same, i can get access to a 97 explorer and have a look, i actually have an au1 coil and an explorer coil i can compare side by side to make sure firing order, etc is the same
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

Sweet. It'll be a nice upgrade for any force-fed AU/EF's. Series 1 AU's and EF's will need a set of AU2/3 leads as well.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 26-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why would you want to open the gap up? With the flash tuners they re-gap smaller. I'm already trying to get the throttle body off the wifes explorer for the AU, dont make try and take the coil pack as well.lol
Old 26-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Sweet. It'll be a nice upgrade for any force-fed AU/EF's. Series 1 AU's and EF's will need a set of AU2/3 leads as well.
or if you can come up with another mounting location, just use the explorer or mustang leads, which you may have to anyway, as I think the actual coil end of the plug lead is different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_liss_lms10
why would you want to open the gap up? With the flash tuners they re-gap smaller. I'm already trying to get the throttle body off the wifes explorer for the AU, dont make try and take the coil pack as well.lol
as far as the gap goes, because it's higher energy they are saying open up the plug gap so the spark spreads around the cylinder more effectively...don't ask me, that's what they say on their site, because it's a better spark it expands better or something
Old 26-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

The spark plug gap is a tradeoff between a bigger spark for quicker initial combustion and more power, against the risk of misfire or failure to spark altogether. The higher energy coil reduces this risk, allowing a wider gap to be used.

Relocating the coilpack is on the cards for me anyway. It's easy enough to remove the airbox for access to the coilpack, less so to unbolt an SC for access...

I guess the gains from tweaking spark and fuel maps with the flash tuner outweigh the effect of gapping down for more reliable spark... which is needed if you reduce the safety margin built in to the factory tune. Upgrading the coilpack with a flash tune probably makes sense to anyone who's ever fitted a HEI or MSD to a highly-tuned Clevo.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 13-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alright, i know it's been a while, but i finally remembered to get hold of the coil to compare it, according to these wiring diagrams the pin locations look the same http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...at=1401&page=1
http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=675&page=1
and these photo's show the differences, basically the only difference between them is the au coil has 1+6, 2+5, 3+4 and the explorer one has 1+5, 2+6, 3+4, so theoretically all you have to do is swap the leads around

this is both together to show what they look like next to each other

au coil, coils are as above, left to right

explorer coil, same as above left to right, top being 1, etc
i haven't tested this on a car yet as i haven't had time, i may get around to it next weekend, but i will need to get hold of some leads too, which the old ones of the car this coil came out if will probably do just for a test

i'll let you know how it goes and if anything more than what i have said about is required

Last edited by bodes-sh; 13-04-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 13-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i haven't tested this on a car yet as i haven't had time, i may get around to it next weekend, but i will need to get hold of some leads too, which the old ones of the car this coil came out if will probably do just for a test

i'll let you know how it goes and if anything more than what i have said about is required
Can't wait to see how it goes - I may need to do my coilpack, and if I'm doing it, may as well upgrade considering the price of these things new!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
sly
Sly like a G6

Thanks for reply bodes-sh. I was off the air for nearly 2 wks due to a blacklisted IP address so haven't been able to follow this up anyway.

In a PM about something else, Stav mentioned that the Screamin' Demon coils had been tried on Mustangs and didn't make any difference. But if I can bring one in at a reasonable price I'd still be tempted to try it. My original coilpack is still going after 330,000km... has to pack it in sooner or later...

Sleeper, anyone?