Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU airbag indicator

Hi i was wanting to know if anyone knew how to get the steering wheel cover / air bag cover / horn cover off the AU steering wheel.

I want to get into the air bag area because my air bag light came on a few days after i got my volume controller buttons fixed by ford. im assuming that during their fix something has caused something to come off in the steering wheel area.

i dont want to take it back to ford because $120 "to look at" a problem they prob caused is a bit steep

also if anyone knows if the airbag will still trigger even if i disconnect the battery

Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Disconnect the battery, should be 2 plastic clips on the back of the steering wheel, under their should be 2x 10mm or 12mm bolts then just unclip airbag.

But from the problem with the airbag light i think it needs to be reset, i cant think that far back on how to do it.
Old 16-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kool thanks for that mate, i had a look and the bolts holding it in have a funny head on them. this is where ive got stuck... but thanks for the info!
Old 16-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a TS-30 bit required to remove it. Do a search and you will find multiple threads with the part number Repco sell.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This may help.

Changing Steering Wheel
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=59

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This may sound obvious, but have you checked the fuse? If the fuse has blown, the light will flash or stay lit. The AU seems to be self clearing for air bag codes once the issue is rectified. I doubt it's anything to do with the bits in the steering wheel.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
EvilChief
Boost Addict

most common part to fail during steering wheel removal is the clock spring. it will throw a "driver airbag high resistance" error in the ecu. as ford were the ones to screw it up get them to fix it. btw clock springs are a pain in the butt to replace ;)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
btw clock springs are a pain in the butt to replace ;)
Even worse PITA to actually fix too - I have fixed one and replaced one, and replacement is easier (just)!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh i sort of hope it was the fuse but no dice there. so im off to repco for that 30-5 sided torx bit, and thanks for that thread GK!