Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
EL_futuraistic

Default Fitting alternate shif knob to EL futura

looking to fit the fairmont leather shift knob. Does anyone know where to source one other than ford, who quoted $455

Ford also told me there is a fairlane one that would cost a lot less but is not leather. Does anyone know if this one would be different to my original futura plastic one???

I have checked on the info page, and found a pic of the interior of an NF fairlane. Looks to have this shifter, can anyone with an NF let me know.

Cheers

Last edited by EL_futuraistic; 11-01-2005 at 11:04 PM. Reason: providing more info
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

fairlane one is no different except it features a chrome button
looks the same, feels the same.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 AM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

$455, my god, Ford really are pulling themselves if they think people will pay that.

Try a wreckers, might have one.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #4
InitialD
Low and Loud

Trying to get a EL Leatherwrapped shifter is very very hard. Most wreckers want ALOT for them, since most also have Chrome buttons in them. Ive come across quite a few leather handbrake covers and chrome buttons but never seen a Shifter that was cheap.

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Still got to be cheaper then buying from ford tho.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 03:20 AM   #6
Danny
GT4.

Mum Had an NL Fairlane Before the BA, and Yes it did have a leather shifter. So ford are wrong. Good luck in finding one though
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:35 AM   #7
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

$500 for a shifter. WTF.
I'll give you the 2 ways i can think of on how to get it for free.

1: those things can fit in your pockets upon leaving a wrecker.
pros - it's free.
cons - theft & finding one.

2: Start scouring auctions for wrecked Fairmonts.
pros - getting the shifter & any other parts you want (cos you will eventually want other monty stuff )
- being able to scrap the rest of the stuff & nearly guaranteed to get your money back on it.

cons - original cash outlay required.
-having the vehicle sit around whilst it is raped for parts.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
$500 for a shifter. WTF.
I'll give you the 2 ways i can think of on how to get it for free.

1: those things can fit in your pockets upon leaving a wrecker.
pros - it's free.
cons - theft & finding one.
These things are pretty big! unless you are wearing a huge oversize jacket or something, good luck getting it outta there! And a huge oversize jacket might look a bit suss in the middle of summer! lmao.

They aren't *that* hard to find, i could think of a few wreckers off the top of my head that would have a good chance of having one. Last i heard Ozwreck in Dandenong wanted $90 for one.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Yeh I've heard about a few Vic wreckers being like prisons. Probably be like that here (SA) one day.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Depends on what you want really - autotek have the MOMO ones for a very good price (i cant remember what it is, but it is good for MOMO oem stuff).
EDIT: Just had a look and it's $105 or so, with a choice of 4. Thats for the auto one, the manual one is about $80.

Or you could go the AU2/3 Fairmont shifter, which is just black plastic but is grained to look like leather. Not the worst thing to use either, feels better than the E series ones anyway. Is black in colour though.

Or you can go the genuine article, and in which case has already been said - you'll need to find one etc etc.

If it were me (and what i might get around to doing), id go a black leather wheel, and a black shifter - a MOMO one if i was feeling particularly rich at the time.

Last edited by b2tf; 12-01-2005 at 05:16 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
EL_futuraistic

Default thanks, where bouts for momo?

Thanks for that. Is there a web site for the momo ones?? or where did you get the prices?

Yeah, leather wheel and shifter is what im thinking.

but not at $1000 for both if i get them through ford.
($455 shifter, $490 EL XR wheel)
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

All the MOMO stuff Ford used (so shifters, wheels etc) came from autotek, and you can buy it from them directly. Their website is www.autotek.com.au, just go to their 'shop' page, and you will find the stuff.