Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default headlights always on

I had a broken weld on the pedal box on the clutch arm, so pedal box was removed, welded up and put back into the car. Now everything works ok, all electrics working, how-ever the headlights are on low beam all the time, even with the key removed. The only way I can stop the lights is by removing either the circuit breaker or the low-beam relay.With the low beam relay removed the lights turn on and off ok, the high beam works on all 4 lights (xr) and parkers work. I swapped a like for like relay into the low beam and still stays on. Have I bumped something or forgot to hook some wires up or an earth for the lights? The dash wasn't removed to get the pedal box out, so the only wires disconnected were the white and orange connectors attached to the pedal box, the cruise control and the brake connectors. When I disconnect the white connecter the lcd dash goes out, the car wont start and the lead lights go out, when reconnect the white connecter everything works and the lights come on. I have also disconnected the light switch to see if that made a difference but it didn't. The only thing I haven't done is check the parkers relay, because I cant find it......any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by rob_liss_lms10; 31-05-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added more info
rob_liss_lms10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

I haven't actually come across this problem so I'm hazarding a bit of a guess here. If the lights all work as they should when the low beam relay is taken out of the circuit the problem is in the "switching" to that relay. I believe the BEM carries out this function so it leads me to think the problem could be in the BEM. All I can suggest is to disconnect your battery overnight and see if the BEM does a "reset". Other than that I expect you might have to get the Ford diagnostics unit onto the job.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If thats the case T3man, could he have pinched a wire with the pedal box as he put it back in. The BEM is above the pedal isn't it? Just a suggestion that you check you haven't done that rob.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

From memory..the low beams are activated by a negative trigger.Maybe the wire is jammed to the body somewhere under there.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the reply guys, I will do as suggested and leave the battery disconnected overnight and see if that helps. Possibly have pinched a wire, everything looks ok though. I read else where that someone else has had the same prob and they left the key in the on position for 30mins, unfortunately there was no follow up reply...I tried this but no luck.
Stav...Was thinking the same except the reverse..thought I may have left an earth off. I may have to remove the pedal box and start from scratch and check it as I go.
Thanks
Old 31-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Yes I suppose that is possible - the switching wire from the BEM would bean earthing one, and if it is pinched that would definitely cause it. However I expect it would be pretty hard to pinch just one wire out of the whole harness - but stranger things have happened LOL.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to disconnect the wire junction/connector to the bem when removing the pedal box...each time I disconnect the junction the lights go out..but so does the lcd screen and the engine wont start. The car is not my daily so I have time to potter about and try different things and if worse comes to worse will install a toggle switch directly to the power supply for the lights so I can turn on and off before it goes anywhere.
Old 31-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The wire comes down from the light switch .I think it would head to the relays at your right knee. A relay requires power,earth to switch.The parker lights are integrated witht the interior dash illumination.One question? Does your clock illuminate bright when it happens.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure stav, but when I use the indicators the low beams flas in sync with them. When I turn the lights on I can use high beam no probs, just cant stop low from working. When I pull either the circuit breaker or the low beam relay the indicators work fine as does the high beam and parkers.
Old 31-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was just thinking, if the power wires for the low beam,parkers and high beam all go to the light switch, if I have dislodged the wire for the low beam in the connector before it gets to the switch then it is not making a circuit to the switch, hence there is no way of turning it off? so if I can figure out which wire controls low beam to the switch, I can make sure that it actually gets to the switch in order to turn it off. Does that make any sense or seem logical?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the help on this guys, I have now fixed the problem, it was a bent pin in the white connector junction, some how I managed to miss align the 2 sides when I re-connected the plug and bent the low beam pin against another pin. After straightening it out and re-connecting all is working correctly.
Once again, thank-you for your help.
Rob
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, thats good. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what it was for future referance. Thats actually something i'd thought of late last night but wasn't sure if you'd had to unplug an connectors

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post