Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 17-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Paxton
Cobblers!

Default Leather

It is the little things that make the car. Power Windows, Climate Control and Leather seats. My Falcon has a number of these, however the one thing I really miss from my Territory is Leather Seats. They are really something else to sit on, especially compared to the cloth in my XR6. After driving the X5 for a number of days this week, I have come to the conculision that the one thing I really want in my Falcon is Leather Seats.

Before you start to ask why I didn't just get a Fairmont Ghia, I didn't want one, and am very happy with my XR6 - it just needs improving. This leads me to ask; has anybody gone out and had their EF Seats re-covered? I did an eBay search before starting this thread, partly looking for AU Howe Leather, when I came across This, and it interests me. I know it is only a cover (and isn't Leather), however for the price, I'm strangely intrigued. Does anybody have any experience with this?

What I really want to know, is what do people do when they want Leather Seats? The Wreckers that I know of in my area are terrible, and Darren at FTG'd be too expensive (for freight), so it is a re-upholstery job by the sounds of it. Does anybody know of a good upholsterers in Southern Sydney (Sutherland Shire)?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew.

Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.

Last edited by Paxton; 17-08-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Don't want to polarize
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've heard of some of them are actually quite a good fit. It'll obviously never be as good as proper leather seats though. E-series leather seats in good condition are very rare as e-series leather is pretty poor quality. I like my velour though (and my manual for that matter).

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

They look very good from them pics

If you get a set then post it up ... I am keen to know what there like ... I might get some as well to make the car that bit nicer
Old 18-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always seen people sell cracked leather seats for $400 and can't believe people actually buy them. EF ghia seem to be the worst from what I've seen (and many as I've been looking myself).

The ones I do see that are always in good nic are from the NL fairlanes but they have different mounts than the SWB models. If you're up for some bracket modding then I'd say they're your best bet.
Old 18-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
SICAZZ
Banned

Default Cvo

Go to CVO (Concept Vechile Operations) in settlement road, thomastown and have all your seats retrimmed in leather with a double stich. Oh yeah!!
SICAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
1FLYRYD
Boost Cruisin'

this is the com pany i am using cheaper then the ones you were looking at paxton
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/smyrna.import.export
1988 EA falcon, 20inch dark agents, cyprus blue, ED XR front, full EF fairmont interior conversion, built AU motor with modded BA turbo pistons, AiResearch T04, Snort manifold & 4inch dump, 50mm Synapse external gate, custom stainless 3inch exhaust & cooler piping, Synapse BOV, SMT8 piggy back, lowered on king sl's and ultima shocks, full noleathane bushings
1FLYRYD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got blackmans to do my 380, www.blackmanandsons.com.au they use 100% leather i got mine done cheaper but the list price is 1250 for the kit. fitted it myself. its black with perforated inserts and red double stitching. i wanna get my EF done as well but i cant decide on the color!

i know it looks a bit baggy, but if i take it back they can heat it slightly and the wrinkles will disappear.

Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I've always seen people sell cracked leather seats for $400 and can't believe people actually buy them. EF ghia seem to be the worst from what I've seen (and many as I've been looking myself)..
I got my Full leather Interior out of an EL GHIA that travelled 77,000klms for $400 (seats and door trims) BUT i was lucky - :

I wanted Real Leather as the Fake Stuff will burn your off in summer.......lol Some of the kits you can buy these days look the goods but at the end of the day you pay for what you get

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna
i got blackmans to do my 380, www.blackmanandsons.com.au they use 100% leather i got mine done cheaper but the list price is 1250 for the kit. fitted it myself. its black with perforated inserts and red double stitching. i wanna get my EF done as well but i cant decide on the color!

i know it looks a bit baggy, but if i take it back they can heat it slightly and the wrinkles will disappear.

They look the goods (and have a branch in my Suburb in Sydney). I'll have to check these guys out.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 18-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:

The ones I do see that are always in good nic are from the NL fairlanes but they have different mounts than the SWB models. If you're up for some bracket modding then I'd say they're your best bet.
Since when did they have different mounts?

The LWB front seats are identical, as are the rear seats. The only item that is different is the side bolsters on the rear seats. You must be thinking of wagons, as the whole rear seat is compleatly different.

If you are up for it, the best way to go for factory leather (which is cheap an nasty anyway) is to buy a smashed NL Concord and steal the interior, and part out the rest.

Otherwise aftermarket trimming is the way to go.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
The ones I do see that are always in good nic are from the NL fairlanes
The one's in my mate's NL are some of the worst I've seen.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 18-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fairlanes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1997-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem (not good pics)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1997-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen way more good than poor however things like garaging and treating need to be taken into account.

Here's a poor example of an NL:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1998-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem

Fairmonts:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1994-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem (worn)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1994-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem (hardened and baggy crack prone)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem (baggy doesn't look to far from cracking)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1997-Ford-Fai...QQcmdZViewItem
(Excellent condition fairmont leather, backrest of the seat looks nice and tight still, however the bottom has started to loosen like the others I've linked. It's hard to find it in this condition and above.

As for the brackets silly me the tutorial was on an NL interior > EA.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 18-08-2008 at 08:01 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
Dezza
Parts bin special

One thing I've noticed is that Cappa usually seems to hold up better than the Grey.

Old 18-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

That first link illavator the interior is mint

Got to laugh at this pic.............lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Hell yeah, thats the rear seat I need to find for my car and match it up with ED Ghia front seats!

On a side note I hate in photos when all the air vents are everywhere, professional magazines do it all the time too and it s..ts me!
Old 18-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #16
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVL-XR
On a side note I hate in photos when all the air vents are everywhere, professional magazines do it all the time too and it s..ts me!
lol That makes me feel better that I always have to put the air vents straight! I'm not the only one! What really annoys me is when people post photos up and they have rubbish in the footwells or poorly fitting seatcovers. I never have a lot of rubbish in the car, but any that is there is removed before any photos are taken.

Old 18-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
They look the goods (and have a branch in my Suburb in Sydney). I'll have to check these guys out.

Thanks for the tip.
Quoting myself now.

I've had an email back from Blackman and sons, and they're just over $2,000, or 1/3rd the price of the car. How did you get them to quote you at about a grand? PM me if you're more comfortable.

It looks like the leather covers are the way to go.