Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
josh_hartman
Banned

Smile Who Said This Was Impossible :)

Well heres the story. today i hooked up 2 300w amps and 2 12 inch subs upto my standard head unit. i have been told by many places its not possible but i did it in 2 hours all myself . at first i was worried about the blue signal cable going to the amps but i solved that with cutting into the accesories wire so the amps only come on with the key. problem two was no left and right signal cable (white and red rc). so i had this little box thing i forget what its called but i cut into my back speaker cables and ran it into this box and it converts it to a rc signal. only problem is i thought it might make the back speakers sound but they still sound good so anyway i turned it all on and its very loud and all works perfectly.
main reason i went to do this is because i didnt want to fork out 300 for a module so i could still use my stereo controls on the steering wheel. this way i save alot of money, looks standard, use my stereo controls and still wake the neighbours up

josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking at upgrading my system soon too, also using the factory head unit. Its good to hear that its possible to do.

I like the factory look, and I'll be trying to keep everything looking as standard as possible.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
adrian k
adrian

excellent, i have been wanting to hook my subs up too
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Nice one mate

Does ur standard unit include cd player? Cuz i think mine was only a tape player, lol...

I cant remember, too long ago and too much money spent on my sound system... :(

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
josh_hartman
Banned

yeh its just the standard single cd player
josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Night

I know the box thing your talking about and you can get it at most car audio places. The only thing with it is the signal being converted from the speaker cables is not as good as if it came from before the amp in the stereo itself. I know that with the holden decks you can actually open them up and wire in some rca plugs before the signal goes to the built in amp but i don't know how to do it with the ford deck. If you can do it then you will get a much better sound.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

With what night is saying the from what i have seen with the ford headunits in the AU's is that if it wasn't used its not in their, AU premium sound in my car for example actually has no rear amp in it at all, cause it has the factory amp in boot.
Old 28-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

there is a guy that can wire in almost anthing you want into the standard head units, he's on mobile electronics australia, not too badly priced either i think, i was thinking about doing mine but i want to get the alpine IVA-W502E.i love the look of the standard unit but it just doesn't have the features i want
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

well the thing is the space is all there for it, the amp chip itself in mine is just missing, you could always just put the chip in. On the note with RCA outputs, you could always attach them to the signal in on the internal poweramp chip if there is no add on spots. But you should really be running a buffer of some sort. Anything can be done to them if you have the knowledge to do it.
Old 28-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Night

This is a link to what I was talking about with the holden unit. It should be possible with the ford unit also but don't ask me for instructions.

http://www.cyber.com.au/users/grant/rca.html
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did what u did as soon as i got my car, but i went out and bought type r spilts and subs, yea the standard unit off straight away cause the subs sounded nowhere near as good as the should of as soon as the new headunit went in sounded 4000times better
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed 8lueoval the standard headunit has a very ordinary signal/sound quality etc...
i ripped mine out just after getting the car and threw in my jvc single din DVD headunit then upgraded to a double din touch screen item (1000x better look to the dash and its a solid unit with great audio quality)

now just need to run another pair of RCA cables to run the rear speakers..didnt have a spare when i installed it so its just front 6.5" focal splits and a pair of JL Audio 15s in the boot and the stock sub also wired in to make for a lil extra mid bass kick
Old 30-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

not impossible... did this 4 years ago... pretty easy once you know how... had three amps and three subs running off it... quite messy wiring considering how many splitters you have to use, but, it sounded ok...

if you're after some quality sound you're better off replacing the whole system if your finances permit..

cheers

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

hey guys i also did it about 4 years ago im good friends with gary and the boys at gary,s car radio .Now i did mine different though ,we pulled my 6 disc indash unit apart and adapted a wire to the on off wire in the unit and ran the wire out the back of the unit.and the little rca converter box is made by stinger and is called a SLOC II FIXED CONVERTER best running of the rear speackers.I ran two JBL GTI 12 and let me tell you it surprised everyone it thumped .running the subs was pheonix gold QX series 2 channel and a 4 channel running the rest.looking in the car it looked stock .hope this helps.. :
T1TS50#04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Question is, can you install a fairly cheap CD tuner head unit in a Premium Sound equipped AU2 with a single DIN adapter pocket, and still keep function of the steering wheel controls AND the factory amp and sub ?

My 6 stack head unit is stuffed - not just the CD drive mech - and want to throw in a 2-250 buck MP3/USB CD Tuner but not lose the above functions ?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately no. There are modules that allow you to use the steering wheel controls, however they're all prohibitively expensive.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Thought as much.

Cheers.