Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
peeds13
XC AMS

Default HELP! Au III ute on gas wont start!

Hi, I've just bought an Au series 3 ute with factory gas. An today it wont start? It just cranks over an dosent fire. Can any help? I've got no idea with new cars and their sh#@y computers.

peeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you pressing the accelerator when you crank it over?
If you are - DONT.
Cranking is inhibited when the accelerator is pressed.

It is normal for the vehicle to take a few seconds cranking before it starts. If it fails to start after 5 seconds of cranking, release the ignition key and try again after a few moments.
(source - Ford dedicated LPG operating guide)

Last edited by rag top; 07-02-2008 at 01:57 PM.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
aye you
The Origional, The Best

could be a vacuum problem
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
peeds13
XC AMS

Yer I'm not pressing the accelerator, just keeps turning over? I heard from a bloke I know who has a Ba ute one gas that his has done this b4 an it was a sensor in the throttle body that wasnt letting gas in or something?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has it been difficult to start, or has it just done this?
When was the last service? How many kms has it done? (might also be a weak spark)
What condition is the battery in?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is normally the inlet solonoid to the converter gummed up normally a tap with something solid fixes (not to hard but) had the same problem with ba ute racv said it was a common prob
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

depending on the klm's travelled... the Vialle might of done a diaphram and filled the convertor with water.. there is a 13?/mm nut on the underside of said convertor that you undo to drain any coolant out of.. It is not a permanent fix but will get you mobile abeit with a miss to the LPG workshop.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

and not to be rude,. in your opening post you mention that you just purchased this buggy.. How many klm's have you squeezed out of the tank? NEVER trust the factory gauge. Not saying it is out of gas, you would have to be super unlucky to run it dry just as you pull up and park :P

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
peeds13
XC AMS

Thanks guys I'll give these pointers a try, umm its done 145k its just had a service bout 250ks ago. Its been ok to start till today no probs. The battery is good. I've only filled the gas once with bout quarter of a tank in it. Its now just over half... Only had it 4 days. The problem is because its a commercial vehicle theres no warranty, but I just rang the dealer and they have agreed to help out... But I spose that'll depend on the problem...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

OK .... it sounds like you have flooded the engine ... it happens.
I have had it happen to me ... usually when the pre-prime solenoid stays open for too long and let through too much gas prior to cranking ... it's a pain.

To get it started you need a really good battery to start with ... and also prior to cranking you will need to depress the accelerator to the floor (should here a louf click from one of the solenoids.

Now ... when trying to crank (you will need to hold the key on start for a LOOOONG time) you NEED to depress the accelerator slightly (before the lock-off clicks in) ... it's the lightest press of the pedal as well .... the car will kick over ... but it will get quicker and quicker as it does it ... you need patience here though.

It will eventually catch and start ... it is a pain ... but it's the only way of getting it to start on your own.

You may need another vehicle and jumper leads just to make sure you have decent spark ... I have a deep cycle cranking battery though that has plenty of reserve.

Trust me .... I have done it plenty of times.

The eventual fix was the disconnect the pre-prime solenoid to prevent engine flooding on start up ... after that it took an extra 1 second longer to start ... but started first time everytime without a hitch.

Oh ... mine is an AUII EGAS ute as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
peeds13
XC AMS

Your a legend mate! Just done it and it started! Great, now I know what 2 do. Thanks! Did you have it happen often? Or was it just a once off? :
Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
peeds13
XC AMS

Also how do I dissconnect the pre prime solenoid?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It was getting worse overtime ... if i didn't let the engine catch properly ... it would stall and flood ... at the time it would nearly start .. crank another second ... and then start ... if i didn't let it ... I had issues.

I need to look at mine ... from memory it is the top centre solenoid ... there's a water-proof wide electrical connector to it ... just unclip it.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Another fix is replacing the solenoid ... I just disconnected it in the meantime ... although I have been lazy and haven't replaced it ... it has been disconnected for a LONG time now ... starts fine ever since.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

OK ... to make sure you have the right one ... looking front the front of the engine bay ... you will see the Stepper motor at the front (with the LPG feed pipe that runs over the top of the motor ... and the pre-prime solenoid is the solenoid next to it on top of the converter. The next solenoid after that is the lock-off from the tank if memory serves me correct.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
peeds13
XC AMS

Thanks mate, your a life saver.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
vbtruk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the same prob today, drove to work fine and then when i went to leave it would not start at all, i did what racecraft said and undid the bolt under the converter closest to the extractors and let a whole heap of coolant out then she started. Is this common? how do i change the diaphram?
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #18
vbtruk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok got another converter to get me going for now and stripped the faulty one, looks like the diaphragm is fine but the oring on the outer cover was stuffed!
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post