Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Work experience at a Ford Dealership (or somewhere similar)

Hi everyone,
I'm currently in year 10 which means that I've been given the opportunity to apply for work experience. I've decided that I'd like to work in the automotive industry and was wondering if anyone could tell me if their are any work experience/job placements available at any Ford Dealerships near Keilor (the north western region) - well somewhere that is reasonably easy to get to using public transport (although I can be driven on Wednesday's and Friday's). I would also consider something similar. The work experience is in June and goes for a period of two weeks. Once again, any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Anthony

Last edited by Coogs289; 16-03-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Coogs289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They will teach you all you need to know, basically the 2 phrases "they all do that" and "its within factory tolerances".

But just find the closest dealership and ask them, shouldn't be a problem, I know people who have done work experience at a Ford dealership.

There's a dealer locator on the Ford website I think.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

As has been said contact your nearest dealer, shouldn't be a problem.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did my work experience in a pro shop. I had planned to be a professional golfer. All I did was serve customers , pick up balls from the golf range and then clean them. Also had to clean the hire clubs.

But I did score a caddy's job during a professional golf tournament here in Canberra. That was worth it.

Still suck at golf. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I wanted to do the same but decided to pursue real estate instead and I'm just about to get a traineeship if all goes to plan next week. If you like sales it might me anoher option. There's more money in it. But only your going to work hard for it.

Just an idea have fun whatever you do.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Work experience at a Ford Dealer....like Bucky said, you won't be doing anything exciting. Working for Ford at a dealer level is excruciatingly boring, I know, I've done it before.

Let's hope that you are good with a chamois.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
There's a dealer locator on the Ford website I think.
I've done the following:

City Ford: They 'don't do' work experience.
Binks Ford: No response...
Jefferson Ford: Nothing at the moment, but will get back to me if something comes up.
Essendon Ford: I used the dealer locator on the ford site. I typed in my postcode (3036) and Essendon Ford came up (which I knew would). ESSENDON NORTH
Essendon Ford
330 Wirraway Road
ESSENDON NORTH VIC 3041
Phone: 0393747000
Fax: 0393747044
Email: jeffm@essendonford.com.au

i sent an email to them yesterday (using my bigpond account) and they rang me back today. the only thing, it was actually JEFF WIGNALL that rang me, which means that the closest yard would be in frankston. just a BIT too far for my likings. i've got no idea why they contacted me instead but i sent another email to essendon ford using the "enquiry service" on their site.
hopefully they reply soon... how long do you think it should take to get a response. city ford took a couple of weeks, binks still haven't replied (it's been like a month...), essendon/jeff wignall only took one day and jefferson, i don't really know how they got my number. i was looking at the fg xd6t review on drive.com.au and on the side saw that you could send an email to all the dealers in melbourne at once. i tried to send it and failed 3 times so....:S
Old 16-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Email. :

Pick up the bloody phone and talk to someone in person. You'll be surprised how much further you'll get when you make one simple phone call.

Oo\===/oO
Old 16-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Email. :

Pick up the bloody phone and talk to someone in person. You'll be surprised how much further you'll get when you make one simple phone call.
lol. yer i probably should've called by now... if essendon don't reply to the email in the next couple of days, i'm going to ring.
Old 16-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
73gscoupe

Quote:
Email. :

AGREE 100%.

Pick up the Phone and call. Speak confidently and politely. Get onto the right person in the organisation, and tell them what you want, and why you want to come work for them for 2 weeks.

If I were you id call the FPV Customer Relationship Centre - 133 378 - give it a shot, who knows?
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Mate I've done 3 different work experiences during my time at school and for the most part the first place I went to they said "sure no worries" and signed the form. The best way to get a work experience is to physically ask them as this implies that you have a backbone and they can gauge you on your posture/clothing.

Simply ask for a ride to the nearest FORD dealership from your folks while wearing respectable clothes (average plain ones, no baggy jeans etc) and ask for the Service Department Manager and ask if he would like to take on a work experience kid for a week. TBH the work at the FORD dealership I went to wasn't that good, mostly just simple servicing and wheel alignments followed by alot of sweeping but any experience is good experience and I learned alot from the mechanics on cars.
Old 16-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Rangas GTP

Do us all a favour and ask for customer service job. Approve all warranty work in your two week period. : You will leave your mark at Ford for many many years
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #13
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangas GTP
Do us all a favour and ask for customer service job. Approve all warranty work in your two week period. : You will leave your mark at Ford for many many years
Not sure if thats a good idea. If you listen to some people on here and elsewhere, 2 weeks of accepted warranty claims would just about finish Ford off financially
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

If I had the oportunity I wouldn't go to a dealer. Unless you like to sweep floors.

Contact wreckers, that is the best way to learn the workings of a variety of cars. You will gain experience in how a car goes together and comes apart. Enhance you knowledge on cars.

Sure a dealer can teach you how to change oil, pain brake pads and plug in diagnostic machines...
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want work experience at a dealer give them a call or better yet go in there and ask in person. Thats what i done when i did work experience at the local ford dealer. It was pretty boring most of the time but i done a bit of everything. Washing parts, sweeping floors, took a diff out of an EF for a rebuild, serviced an kia, AU, then watched as they done a major/big service on a mondeo. Also washed/prepped new cars and helped with dealer fitted options. During lunch i watched one of the mechanics work on his XY GT which he had kept at work.... :P
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I actually did my year 10 work experience at Wignall Ford (Mornington, the Frankston branch didn't even exist then) in the service department. But like you said it's a bit far from Keilor.

Mostly sweeping floors and standing around watching. But I was assigned to the LPG fitter so most of my hands on work was with him. Stuff like drilling holes and tightening bolts. Exciting stuff I know lol.

I did see the EF a couple of weeks before it's official release while I was there though. I remember thinking how futuristic it looked.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I did my work experience in a pro shop. I had planned to be a professional golfer. All I did was serve customers , pick up balls from the golf range and then clean them. Also had to clean the hire clubs.

But I did score a caddy's job during a professional golf tournament here in Canberra. That was worth it.

Still suck at golf. :

LoL sorry its off topic, but i had to laugh at that... I used to play golf with my old boss, well, we used to dress up like idiots in golf outfits and drink at the bar at the club, then hit balls with a skin full of rum

Did my work experience with an I.T Company, just walked up and asked them., no harm in asking.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I actually did my work experience at Mercedes Benz Pro Star Motors in Hawthorn... I helped out servicing, and even got my hands dirty rebuilding a motor with the senior mechanic... Had heaps of fun there... And yep on the Friday i had to sweep and mop the floor... Best part was been given the keys to move the C43 AMG and i was only 15!!!!
Old 17-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GOT WORK EXPERIENCE AT ESSENDON FORD!!! : : :
Thanks for the advice everyone
So what sort of jobs do you think I'll be doing?

Cheers, Anthony
Old 17-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Washing cars, sweeping floors. If you're really lucky you'll get to sort the shed full of old warranty parts and match them to their RO's.

Oo\===/oO
Old 17-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Washing cars, sweeping floors. If you're really lucky you'll get to sort the shed full of old warranty parts and match them to their RO's.
lol, sounds like fun... I'M STILL STOKED! : : :
Old 18-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another vote for get cleaned up and go to dealers, if your really keen keep pestering them (in a nice way) you`ll get your work experience.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #23
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
GOT WORK EXPERIENCE AT ESSENDON FORD!!! : : :
Thanks for the advice everyone
So what sort of jobs do you think I'll be doing?

Cheers, Anthony
Standing next to some 88yo cynical old fart who's had enough of the trade and listen to him rant all day about how the company will use you, there is no incentives, the car industry is going down the gurgler, how cars work better back in his day because they are too complicated now etc etc etc.......
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

In summary.

If you want to learn anything you wouldn't go to a dealer.
Unless you want to learn how to sweep and mop.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
In summary.

If you want to learn anything you wouldn't go to a dealer.
Unless you want to learn how to sweep and mop.
as well as... how to change oil, pain brake pads and plug in diagnostic machines... I get to wash cars too! : Lol. It's all good bcoz they're ORSM cars! : :
Old 18-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
pain brake pads
That sounds painful.

Oo\===/oO