Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default single din radio

i hav fitted a new stereo into my car and also used 1 of those pockets to go under as well, but it doesnt seen to sit right and is moving around and its also sitting about 1cm in aswell. Is there any i havent mounted correctly?

mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you bend a few of the tabs on the cage you should be able to get it to sit a little straighter. It might still move a little bit if you don't fasten it with screws but I managed to get rid of most of the movement by bending the cage tabs.

The pocket should be sitting flush with the rest of the console. It's just a matter of fiddling around with the cage and pocket. By the looks of it, the plastic tabs on the pocket are hitting the lip of the cage.

As for the gap between the head unit and pocket, you can try and hide it a little more by straightening out the head unit a little more or perhaps bringing it forward a little. Other than that, you'll have to make a custom surround out of MDF or similar to fill out the space properly. There are a couple of threads on here that go into it.

I was going to attempt making one myself but the look of it doesn't bother me too much.

This is one of my pet hates with the AU2/3. They improved the look of it over the AU1 but stuffed up the 'flushness' due to the curve if you decided to go single din.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might look into the MDF space and i might make a couple of brackets up and remove the cage all together
Old 25-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good. Try and find those threads I mentioned. They should give you a few ideas
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
might look into the MDF space and i might make a couple of brackets up and remove the cage all together
Mine sticks out as far as yours sticks in, but I prefer it that way. There's not a lot you can do to get an aftermarket head unit looking good in the rounded AU console.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread Headunit Info has some really good info in it, including pics of mine.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

you know whats worse than that pos install job
manual in an au
Old 25-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
manual in an au

Who you talking to.

Also, keep comments like that to yourself, at least he had a go, put up what he tired, and asked for help fixing it.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
manual in an au
: What are you talking bout??????
Old 29-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
toolchick01
Now with an AU XR6

One of the best ways i find to mount H/U's in an AU is to rivet the cradle into the plastic surrounding it. Just find a position where you are happy with the look and bobs your uncle.

1999 AU1 XR6 VCT - Now with a momo steering wheel!
Manual - 18" Koya Race Tek's Black with polished lip - Lowered - Series 2 tail lights - Pioneer P80 Head Unit - Clarion Front 6" Splits - JL 5x7's Rear Coaxials - Clarion 4x90w RMS amp - Clarion DPX1800 800w RMS mono - 2 Clarion PXW1251 400w RMS 12" subs

Team Deck Chair Member ............ Once you sit down, you'll never stand up.
toolchick01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On this topic but taking a slightly different tack, has anyone ever tried mounting the head unit in the lower position with a pocket or panel above it?

I'm considering a place to mount a couple of gauges without cutting into the car... I'm thinking that a custom panel with an aftermarket head unit mounted at the bottom would be ideal.

As for your comments MR HARDWARE... Stick to your ex-taxi's.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post