Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Becoming a car Salesperson!!

Hey all!!

I've recently finished uni and i cant find a full time job in my area of study (legal), anyways i'm looking into becoming a car salesperson but they are only looking for experienced people!!

The only experince i can bring is 3years at Repco and one at autobarn.

This there anyone out there that is a car salesperson who can give me some advice.?? Thanks a bunch

xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
This there anyone out there that is a car salesperson who can give me some advice.?? Thanks a bunch
I'm Not a car sales person, but i have been selling for 30+ years and if it helps, before you can sell a new or used car to a customer you will need to sell yourself to your employer. So look at ways to show the potential employer that buy spending the companys money on you ( wages / commission ) that you have the potential to return a higher return for thier money than opposed to some one else.

Another key factor will be your ability to work with the team around you.

Some people may be able to sell but if they dont fit with the team and produce a win win effect they dont last long.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

You might want to ask RATT
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
rodderz

Talk to Ratt, gadgetman or explorer....years of experience between them
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Thats unbelievable you cant find a job in the legal industry!

Not even a legal clerk?

From what ive been told that is one proffesional industry that has big demand at teh moment.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks a bunch for the input!!!

Sad but true!!! i cant find something even as a legal clerk!! i was looking more into government jobs such as customs, feds and even state police but no luck so far...
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Could you sell your grandmother?
Can you lie successfully?
Do you talk about BS alot and be convincing?

Then you can sell cars.

I deal with them everyday and back when I was a detailer I saw the 'behind the scenes' and these traits are what you require.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
damo351

Dont become a sales rep, if you studied law, do somthin in that field.

My mate sells stuff and he dosnt even have his year 10 cert, what a waste of time goin to uni that was.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
thanks a bunch for the input!!!

Sad but true!!! i cant find something even as a legal clerk!! i was looking more into government jobs such as customs, feds and even state police but no luck so far...
Tried any regulatory bodies?? i.e. ASIC/APRA/ACCC/ATO
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree big time with Damo.

Please dont go and sell cars after your years of hard work getting a degree.

Getting something in your field might be tough (im not familiar with Law) - however you are immediately going to the bottom of the opportunity barrel if you choose to go and sell cars IMHO. (no offence to car salesman. but how many car salesman have law degrees?)
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive worked with 2 people who have law degrees and one who has just graduated. The first 2 have both wasted their time. One of them had a good job but has no work ethic whatsoever. He probably though having a law degree would mean less work-DEAD WRONG!!

White collar workers have the same amount of work and stress if not more. How many relationship breakups do they have because of their work interferring? How many have free time when they get home? They sometimes have to do more work at home

Obviously you sound like you didnt for the right reasons. Im sure ATO and centrelink take in graduates every year in many fields

Heres a search thingy i did for all different types

http://jobsearch.gov.au/government/G...spx?TextOnly=0

ATO
http://www.ato.gov.au/pathway.asp?pc=001/001/003

Centrelink
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...x_graduate.htm

Hope it helps
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #12
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Nothing wrong with making a quick buck in car sales...the skills you pick up are very useful for any future career path you choose- i should know..i did IT and got a cert 2 in IT and Cert 4 in helpdesk...half a Cert 4 in Network Management. The IT market is quiet where i am so i picked up something else in the mean time. If your good at it- you can earn up to 60 or 70000 a year plus a company car and fuel in most cases...big savings!!...trust me- im 21 and make a stack doing it..it may not feel like the most rewarding job in the world and have a social stigma over it but im trying to do my little bit to make a difference...and as for being at the bottom of the job barrel...ask a car detailer how much lower it can get...
Its good to make a buck...dont make it a career IMO but as a go between...it beats working as a telemarketer
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
parawolf
beep beep

Personally I agree with those that are suggesting you should go to work in your field of education if that is where you want a career. Even if it is for a pittance to start with, get the experience and move on quickly (12 - 18 months). If you attempted to get a job again in a law firm or in some similar position and someone sees graduated from uni with a degree in law, and went to work for 3 years at a car dealership as a salesman. I'd be wondering why... Because it doesn't show commitment to your career.

If you get that first job that is for a pittance but gives you time to learn and pick up some hands on skills, then that is far more valuable longer term, in my opinion.