Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
parawolf
beep beep

Default Looking at getting an ED/EF/EL XR6

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an ED -> EL XR6 manual.

I've currently got two options.

1) ED XR6 manual
210,000km
$8,000

2) EF XR6 manual
234,000km
$6,450

Both appear to be very straight panels with no signs of damage, performed the 'magnet' test on both cars and check out under the hood and in the boot for rust and repair marks and couldn't find anything substantial.

Obviously the EF looks the better buy, apart from its higher k's. Is this a good price? The $1500 could go a long way towards reco'ing the engine internals, gearbox and diff where required to bring it far in front of the ED (assuming it is in better condition).

Whats the thoughts? Anything else I should look for?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf

Obviously the EF looks the better buy, apart from its higher k's. Is this a good price? The $1500 could go a long way towards reco'ing the engine internals, gearbox and diff where required to bring it far in front of the ED (assuming it is in better condition).
Agreed. The EF XR6s are rockets, one of Ford's best stockers IMO. Altho that is mighty cheap, so i'd proceed with caution.

Quote:
Anything else I should look for?
Typical ford stuff - coolant/cooling system, condition of lifters, condition of ignition etc... if possible, see if LSD is still LS...
Old 04-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Typical ford stuff - coolant/cooling system, condition of lifters, condition of ignition etc... if possible, see if LSD is still LS...
So test drive, ditch the salesman if possible and drop the clutch and check for two black marks? :
Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol, yeah or if they have a workshop put it on the hoist and check the limited slipper... Falcon LSDs dont tend to lock up 100% of the time in clutch droppers... well, not these kinda falcons anyway.

Even if stuffed diff was the only thing wrong with it, would be a good price IMO.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I always try to buy the newest/best for the money even knowing it will need money spent on it down the track.

In your case I'd buy the EF but keep the saved money for a rainy day. Either car could really blow a head gasket at any time, but at the end of the day the EF gives you more to show for your hard-earned.

Best of luck with it.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

kays are to similar to be judging on that, price is very different but :S