Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
homegrown
hotshot

Default Trying to find old pic.

HI, I'm trying to find an old picture in magzine of an old man sitting in front of his XYGT guarding it with a shotgun. I've been flipping thru magzines to find it but no luck.
I'm brushing up on my black and white drawing skills. Ive done Bathurst cars before and thought rusty old cars sitting in padocks but thats been over done and then that pic came to me.
I think the article was about car insurance if that helps anyone.
Thanks for looking.

Old 13-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
blackwood
FiSTed

Wasn't that the cover of a Wheels issue circa 1970's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

I'm pretty sure it was a Street Machine story in the early 90's. That was one of the ways to protect your GT back then, Still is now! from those thieving lo-life scum.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I think I remember that one, it had a bloke sitting outside a garage with said shotgun and a couple of rotweilers and was about security and protecting your ride.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

I'm pretty sure Wheels recreated that for a cult heroes issue a few years back...I have that lying around somewhere if you want...
T2 TE50 #082 in Galaxy Blue

• ESS Auto • Twin 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust by Manta • Premium Brakes • 18" Azzuros • Premium Sound • K&N Filter •

1985 XF Falcon GL

• 4.1 • 4 Speed Manual • 15" Steelies • Snow White • Otherwise stock...for now •

2004 Porsche Cayenne S

• 4.5 V8 • 6 Speed Auto • 19" OEM Alloys in Bronze • Crystal Silver • Sunroof • PASM • The grocery getter
nutter_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
73gscoupe

The article was about cars you should lock away for investments. It listed the XY GTHO as the ultimate investment - rated 10/10. Buy one and lock it in a barn it advised. hah! back in 1970 something!

GT's also got a mention, as well as the E49, and the bathurst monaros. I seem to remember the article also mentioned something like a 179?m holden, toranas, customlines, and some other special models of the late 60's early 70's.

I have an original copy of the issue somewhere, will see if i can find it and scan.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recall a picture in the little column written by the bloke in the first couple of pages of Street Machine, not too long ago. The pic was small, had a bloke sitting down leant against the front of a GT. Column was about investments in muscle cars eg GT's etc, highest commanded prices at Shannons etc but how the high prices have removed these cars out of the reach of most enthusiasts, and also how its driving up the price of base model Falcons and Fairmonts etc. Sure it won't be too hard too find in the rack beside the porcelain seat in my library
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
homegrown
hotshot

Thanks for the response guys. If anyone could find a pic that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 13-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
GTP290

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
HI, I'm trying to find an old picture in magzine of an old man sitting in front of his XYGT guarding it with a shotgun. I've been flipping thru magzines to find it but no luck.
I'm brushing up on my black and white drawing skills. Ive done Bathurst cars before and thought rusty old cars sitting in padocks but thats been over done and then that pic came to me.
I think the article was about car insurance if that helps anyone.
Thanks for looking.
Ive actually got that magazine, from memory its october 77, I keep it boxed up under my stairwell along with other old car mags and the first second and third issue of australian muscle car magazine
Old 13-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scanned, being uploaded to photobucket as I write.

As mentioned, from my "library", easily located thanks to my Dewey Decimal System, found behind 2 Extreme Fords, 2 VMX Magazines.... it was the 3rd Street Machine on the rack... who knows how/why it is there... it is May 2007, the one with the blown E55 on the cover. Article is "G'day" by Geoff Seddon, pp.005 Street Machine, May 2007

Pics done, hope this is the one in mind, I'm sure it's featured in many others mentioned, it is marked as Photo: Wheels Magazine

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
homegrown
hotshot

Thats the one. There is different pics of this in some older magazines, but that's what I was after. Thanks for everyones help. I'll add my pic when I'm done.
Old 13-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im pretty sure Wheels had the same guy from a different angle also
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Muscle car prices

Hi all
Back in 1975 I bought from a car yard in Darwin a GTS 327 Monaro for the
princely some of $1750 yes seventeen hundred and fifty bucks 2 years later traded it in on a VF Valiant wagon had to fit the kids somewhere
Wish I had known then what I know now
also at the time I was offered a phase three it was sitting under a tree for $4000 and I said why would I pay that for a 5 year old car that only cost $4500 new
wheres my F###in time machine?
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
homegrown
hotshot

Hind sight is a beautiful thing.
Old 13-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
homegrown
hotshot

a fella at work celebrated his 40th year at holdens last week. He used to build the old 60's monaro's that came off the production line and we always ask him bout the days gone by and if he ever regretted not buying one straight off the line, but he said his weekly pay was only $80 back then so it wasn't as easy as it seemed.