Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
dreadly
Banned

Default Which alphabet cam? b303, e303, d303, f303 or x303??

Hey guys, i decided im gonna go with ford racing.... for a cam swap- cam, lifters, valve springs.
Now which one should i choose, im leaning towards the e303, or maybe the f303 or x303?
Has anyone used an alphabet cam before thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
It's going in an au 2 xr8 ute with 1.72's and 70mm T/B, also will be fitting a new old stock herrod motorsport 20% harmonic balancer/under drive pulley.
And custom tuned by injection perfection in sydney.

Has anyone used injection perfection in sydney? thoughts on em.
No one up the coast can tune au's with flash boxes. So im after a tuner and a mate recommended them.

Thanks for any help, suggestions or input.

dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

I remember when the Z303 was released a few years after the F303........... Ford Motorsport (SVO) called it "CAMZILLA"

Never used one of the Motorsport cams, always used the 2020/2030/2031 Crane split pattern cams, either with or without the 1.7:1 rockers with good success. Now that you can raise base idle speed with a flash tune, the lumpier sounding cams are more streetable with a stock converter so the "F" and the "Z" are a good option.

IMHO opinion however, the XE Comp cams have been the pick of the litter for a good while now.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Unless your using after market pistons or going to fly cut your stock ones you wont have enough piston to valve clearance for the X303 and the Z303 that CAT600 was talking about.

If you use 1.6 rockers the F303 would work, Get some expert advice before you make your cam purchase.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Ive gone from e303 to F303. The midrange to top end pull is awesome but its at the cost of my lower rpm range
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Unless your using after market pistons or going to fly cut your stock ones you wont have enough piston to valve clearance for the X303 and the Z303 that CAT600 was talking about.
Is the flycutting a confirmed fact or a cautious assumption by Ford Motorsport? because I remember reading about a car over east a few years back that was running an X303 and if I remember rightly, the bottom end was completely untouched.

Daniel
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
dreadly
Banned

Which one did you find better, idle wise, performance, everyday drivablity the e303 or f303?? cheers Peter
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Idlewise,everyday drivability the E303 but for performance the F303. I did find however with the F303 if i upped my idle to 950-1000rpm it was abit better
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
dreadly
Banned

Whats better for my 5L, with 1.72's 70mm, 20% underdrive pulley& manual trans. The e303 or f303? How much difference is there between the two?

Also whats a fair price for cam, lifters and valve springs?
Thanks hey Peter
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Cant give you an estimate bud. I bought both cams thru ford motorsport, right out of the catalogue was around $500 ages ago. Lifter, probably be cheaper to go aftermarket like crane. Valve springs go Isky with locks and retainers, cant really comment on anyone else sorry bud
Quote:
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Is the flycutting a confirmed fact or a cautious assumption by Ford Motorsport? because I remember reading about a car over east a few years back that was running an X303 and if I remember rightly, the bottom end was completely untouched.

Daniel
Ha ha, assumption by me and Ford Motorsport.

Got a stanga magazine that says .544 lift is all you'll be able to get away with on a bone stock 5.0 engine. But are they the same motor as ours, I don't know.

Cheer's, Craig.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Ha ha, assumption by me and Ford Motorsport.

Got a stanga magazine that says .544 lift is all you'll be able to get away with on a bone stock 5.0 engine. But are they the same motor as ours, I don't know.

Cheer's, Craig.
Fair enough, those bigger Motorsport cams were limited on stock engines not so much because of valve lift, rather valve to piston "running clearances" as the inlet was beginning to open and also when the exhaust was closing when the piston was around top centre........ Bigger duration cams had the valve further open at these points and that is where the risk is.

For example, I ran a stock AU 185 engine with the Crane 2020 AND the 1.7:1 rockers, giving over 0.560 lift on both valves with heaps of room on PTV measurements. This bump in lift also brought the effective 0.050" duration up from 208/216, to more like 210-212 on the inlet and 218-220 on the exhaust as the valve reached the .050 marker earlier and was above that point for longer. That was a great combo on the stock GT40P heads and Explorer manifold and was 28 lbft better than the 2031 in the midrange with only a 8 rwhp deficit at 5500rpm (peak on the 2031) and a crapload better idle quality.

BTW, the 0.544 lift is probably spot on for an inlet valve, but the exhaust rotators would restrict exhaust lift by almost 0.100 of that considering their thickness.
Daniel
Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Well I'll be, The article in the mag i have is a bump stick swap on a stock 93 GT and the cam is the the one you used Daniel, Crane Powermax 2020. Now they bought it in kit form also came with new timing gear set, roller lifters, push rods and 1.7 ratio rockers but they shy'd away from the 1.7 rockers because lift would have been exactly as you said 0.560 so they settled for the 1.6 rockers which gave them 0.530 lift and a fair bit of a safety margin... CHICKENS !!!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #13
dreadly
Banned

So then if rockers will add more lift, then its definatly looking like the e303 cam then, injection perfection said 1k for the cam, valve springs, and lifters
seems ok ish? hope the ford valve springs include retainers.....maybe aswell find out a price for a timing gear aswell..... though im gonna check with my ford/fpv dealer and see if they can get them in aswell- will get a good discount on parts and labour then. ;)
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't bother trying to get Ford Racing components through your Ford Dealer... Last time I looked they were fiendishly expensive.

Is there any reason you want the Ford Racing cam and not the Crane? Considering they have exactly the same specifications and purchasing the Crane cam is in likelyhood going to be cheaper?

Crane 2040/ Ford Racing E303 would be my choice for a 5.0L manual which is getting an ECU remap. I'd also suggest some better cylinder heads.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
STOJMONT

do crane to a f303 equivilent and what is the rev range on the the f303