Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU Wagon Nolathane bushes

Hi guys, working on my AU series one update wagon. I have purchased 18" Cheetah rims with 235 and 245/18's. I have a new exhaust going on Wednsday pacemaker extractors single 2.5" and single ripleflow muffler. Depending drone i may fit a rear resonator. Also a 3.5" single stainless dump at rear. My next update is brakes and suspension, its booked in for lowered leaf springs and i was going to replace all the rear bushes while the springs were out with nolathane ones. Trouble is when i rang pedders the guy tried talking me out of it and said you will hate that you have done it and some bushes would not last as long as a normal standard one. Seeing he doesnt own a AU falcon, what do you guys think. I am replacing shocks as well. The ride is a bit harsher going from stock 15"s to 18"s but i was thinking new shocks will help. I am lowering the car 4" at rear and probably 2" at front. Rear first. AU owners with nolathane bushes let me know what yours are like.
Thanks
AZZA

AU series 1 update wagon
XY pro-street wagon

azza11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I really like poly bushes. They do add a small amount of harshness, but I don't mind.
On the other hand, they offer more feedback.

I've used them on leaves many times on many different Fords inclusing AU's and my current one.

As far as lasting as long, the guy has no clue. Poly bushes outlast rubber in all instances.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think you will certainly feel the ride difference being harsher after all this is fitted but the handling will be supreme.

FYI Nolathane is a brand of Urethane bush.

Id concentrate on the shocker quality you plan on getting rather than other things. Spend extra on good top quality shock absorbers.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how much to do a full bush kit front and back

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About $650 for front and rear kit. Thanks for info guys. Originally i was going to just buy Monroe shocks may have to buy something better. I cant afford Koni's. What do you recomend? Whats a good brand? KYB, Eibach, Pedders, Ebay specials. Probably want something middle of the road. Cars a daily driver and i should be spending money on my Pro street XY wagon!! I luv my AU though.
AZZA
Old 26-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've used Monroe, Koni, Bilstein, Gabriel, and Ultimas in various cars over the years.

Koni and Bilstein are by far the best, and you pay for it.

The other 3 are similar and there price reflects it.

The latest shock I've tried is the Monroe Gt Sport. They're a little better than the normal GT gas, and only marginally dearer.
I have them on my current yoot, and they're at least 35% better than the standard Tickford units.

Main difference is they ride much better without losing any control.
Still a fair way off a Koni or Bilstein but they're at least heading in the right direction.
Old 26-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

As Sox mentioned, Billies or Koni's are the pick if you can afford it.

Alternatively, I have BOGE shocks on my car which are short throw type shocks for the front for lowered springs. BOGE have been known to supply shocks in the past for more european market like audi's and merc etc.

There are a few on this forum that have BOGE shocks and have found them very good for the middle of the road pricing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
xrford
WAGONE

If you want poly bushes then get them, theyre expensive for a reason.......cos theyre better!!
I put them through my wagon after started hearing a small clunk on big bumps in the front end which was just a ball joint but it did make a bit of a difference with steering feedback and how tight it felt in cornering ect.

You'd prob have to really know the feel of your car to pick up on the change in ride comfort in the rear but compared to the difference that shocks, springs, wheels/tyres etc make, it would be not worth worrying about.
I run around with reset rear leafs, superlow front springs with heavy duty shocks and 235/35/20 rims and tyres and its not that bad, you'll learn to live with it and enjoy the handling difference more i reckon while your bushes ect will probably outlast the life of your car.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with you there. I have had a full nolathane kit before in my XY wagon, great bit of gear, realy impressed. My shocks are original and will be binned, have a 139,000 on them. I dont want to pay a fortune for shocks but i am looking at a 3"-4" lower rear end. Probably boge or eibachs as they do the shorter shocks. This will improve the ride over waht i have now and the nolathane bushes should smooth out a bit. Doing the rear first. Had the car 4 years, new rims and tyres have made a big difference.
AZZA