Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Default Both brakes lights playing up?

Recently I noticed my AUII's brake lights had gone out, so i went and got myself some new bulbs to replace them.

That seemed to do solve the problem for a while, but soon after they went out again, and seem to work randomly. (Works for a bit, doesn't work for a bit)

I don't think the problem could be a blown fuse because the would not turn on at all? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could help solve the problem?

Many thanks
TPH

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just the brake lights? Do the tail lights work?
If it is just the brake lights the switch that the brake pedel activates may be dodgy. I had the problem in a land cruiser years ago. took me weeks to work it out. If it is tail lights as well will most prob be an earthing issue. Hope that helps.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Brake light switch near the pedal is probably the culprit.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Hmm, i just had a look behind the pedal.. Is the brake light switch the small box with 2 dots on either side?

And yes the tail lights work fine.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
Old 28-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I'm having a similar problem, but i recall reading somewhere that if the brake light switch is faulty the cruise control won't work either.
Is this true? because cruise control works fine, both brake lights aren't working but parkers do and no fuses blown.

Got me stumped...

Also, it seems that the reverse light is out too, are the brake lights and reverse on a common earth? (It's on series 1 ute btw)
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the switch is the little box looking thing.
It would only affect the cruise if it was making the brake lights stay on, which in both your cases it is not.
Old 28-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Right... Are they user repairable and where would i go finding one? None on ebay

METALLICA
Old 28-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last 1 I got from repco. They should aval from most auto parts suppliers.
Old 28-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
Night

Would say it is the brake light switch as everyone i know with a ford seem to replace them fairly often. You could bend the contact point but that doesn't seem to fix the problem for long.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

had the same prob a couple of weeks ago.was the wire that goes to the brake switch that had broken.
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

They are easy to repair, but if you can, fork out the $55 and get a proper FORD (motorcraft) one. The ones you get from Supercheap, autobarn and the likes, the springs are too hard, and either wont work, or wont work properly. Takes about three minutes to fix once you have the part.
Old 29-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i fixed mine a couple of months ago now, same problem, now it's fine. i just bent the piece that contacts the pedal back a bit so it touches properly
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i fixed mine a couple of months ago now, same problem, now it's fine. i just bent the piece that contacts the pedal back a bit so it touches properly
Is there any chance that you could post a picture of what you did?

METALLICA
Old 29-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Are the globes actually blowing .. well are the brake light filaments blown at all?????
If they are it may not be the brake light switch ... if you have a tow-bar mounted on your vehicle the loom for that can also be the culprit for actually blowing brake lights every so often.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
plzhelpmeiamnew
illiterate with cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Is there any chance that you could post a picture of what you did?
yes can someone please post on how to tighten the switch, mine is slightly hanging and so it wont make a proper earth connection when pressed down. I want to push it back up and have it tightened it to fix the switch but i dont see any nut to tighten only a metal looping clip on the leftside
plzhelpmeiamnew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to remove the switch and bend the tabs that contact the pedal out a bit (towards where they contact the pedal). i haven't got any pictures, but you will see what i mean if you hold it in your hands.

very basically, the switch is [0)=]

now, where the ) is, bend that to the left in the picture, to reduce the angle it is on, only very slightly though, if you go too far the lights will be on all the time...

good luck, if you can't figure it out i may have another go at explaining it better..
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post