Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
I meant the light positions behind the grill.

The grill is also a great idea but if need be ill change it like yours.

Also, will having the lights on for a long period of time somehow kill the battery?
..thats what ive heard anyway.

Sorry for all the questions fellas
When you take the grille off, there are 2 holes in the radiator support panel, and 2 on the headlights that hold the grille in. All I did is drill one hole each side at the same depth as the grille lights and mounted the driving lights there (basically about 2 to 3 inches to the headlight side of the standard grille holes in the radiator support panel, on each side, if that makes sense).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 27-10-2009 at 09:59 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #32
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
JC I'd love to know what that mesh is that's surrounding the Ford badge, would look the goods on the front of the Ghia :
There are a few options. You can get the cheapish aluminium mesh from supercheap, autobarn etc, but the holes are too small, and the mesh too flimsy, IMO. I went to a metal place (metaland, IIRC) and asked for some mesh off cuts - got enough to do around 3 grilles, and cost me all of $5. It's steel mesh, and zinc dipped - I just primed and painted it black. the holes are around 20 x 15mm (or thereabouts - get what looks good to you)

Fixing up the surround once you cut the bars out is the hardest part, but even that's pretty straight forward if you can do fibreglass work (get a "Digger" brand fibreglass repair kit from bunnings - it even comes with instructions!) I fibreglassed it, and increased the depth by about an inch, then plasti-bonded it, sanded it, primed it and painted it black too.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #33
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

V3rsac3, almost made it sound too easy! but a great idea

JC, makes perfect sense mate, thats basically my main idea of where the light would have been attached, on the support panel.

The mesh grill sounds great too

Thanks a bunch for the info fellas!
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #34
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Thats tops!

is that a simple LED setup or..? if its that simple, i might go for this than the lights mmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
Beleive it or not that type of set up isn't as difficult as you think.

POELWYK would probably be using a Neon Strip light or LED which had been mounted in the grill. 1 Wire connects to the battery, the other goes through the whole in your firewall (just a rubber plug in the engine bay) which come out where the clutch would under your carpet. This is where you wire that wire to a switch and then the connect another wire to the switch and run it too a negative point in the car. And there you can turn them on and off from inside the car ;) ... It's a good effect for not a big effort. That was my original goal along side with the spotty's in the grill.
yeah its a LED Strip theres about 9 Blue LED's on it it lookes better in the flesh pics just dont do it

Last edited by POELWYK; 27-10-2009 at 11:41 PM.
POELWYK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Mechan1k, thats one sick lookin ute!
I was planning to do something like that, although right now the cost of it all is a bit much for me :voldar02:

The old girl was retired about a year ago now ... I have a BFII EGAS in white now.

The driving lights were good ... but think they reduced airflow on really hot days causing a few overheating issues.

The lower fog lights are Hella items and just fit under the numberplate nicely ... they weren't too expensive either ... and they threw a decent wide fog lights beam (made life easier driving to work in the morning and visbility was about 2 metres) ... at least i could see catz-eyes reflect back through the fog from them (with low beam off)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post