Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
BongoKongo

Default Au Snuffs it in D & R

My car (99 AU) motor runs like a dream without a problem at any Rev range but when I put it into Drive or Reverse she instantly stalls.
I think it must be a seized Auto Transmission (probably a stuffed Torque Converter lock) or could it be something else?
Is it hard to replace the Auto on one of these beasts & will I need to buy a manual?
I was going to get used Auto Trans from a wrecker so how much should I pay for it? I go to UNI & don't have much money yet so I don't want to get ripped off by these Vultures.

BongoKongo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might not be a stuffed Tranny, can you drive it???

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
BongoKongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
Might not be a stuffed Tranny, can you drive it???
Nope, it instantly dies when I select any gear (except neutral of course) . Had to get it home on a truck.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bet would be to get it towed to a tranny place and get them to have a looksy at it,

cheers matt

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Go to a pick and pay wreckers, take take tools and a few hours and a friend, and learn how to take it out, and document it. Then pay the $150 for it, and take it home and repeat the process. Shouldnt be too hard and will take 246204
Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

do this for me: put your foot on the brake, dial up a few revs and pop her in drive. see if she stays afloat, if not, something srs is wrong. I wouldn't be changing my 'box on a whim.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to jump on Mr hardware's boat and agree to not change the box without enough cause. Also if its rolling at say 10kph in neutral and you drop it in drive does it still stall ?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
BongoKongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
do this for me: put your foot on the brake, dial up a few revs and pop her in drive. see if she stays afloat, if not, something srs is wrong. I wouldn't be changing my 'box on a whim.
OK I just did that, I brought the revs up fairly high & popped it into drive & Reverse and it just instantly dies (Motor just stalls).

The closest example I can give of what it is doing is that it feels like I'm popping the clutch in a manual with 5th gear selected to take off on a hill.
Quote:
Shouldnt be too hard and will take 246204
OK thanks The Monty but what does that mean?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoKongo

OK thanks The Monty but what does that mean?

That means a customer came in when I was posting that, and I must have scanned part of a barcode, lol.

It was meant to say, should only take a day.
But yeah, Im with Mr Hardware, get it checked first IF its the gearbox, then go my route.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=BongoKongo]OK I just did that, I brought the revs up fairly high & popped it into drive & Reverse and it just instantly dies (Motor just stalls).

The closest example I can give of what it is doing is that it feels like I'm popping the clutch in a manual with 5th gear selected to take off on a hill.

Does it do the same in 1, 2 or 3 as well? If so, could be torque converter, or transmission. Was the car drivable any time recently? If so, did it make any strange noises?

I'd be flatbedding it to the local trans place for a proper diagnosis, and once youknow what it is, you can weigh up your options. Bit hard to diagnose this sort of issue over the ethernet!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Bit hard to diagnose this sort of issue over the ethernet!
Not to mention the INTERNET! :
Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #12
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should a stuffed transmission or converter be turning the car off? perhaps something is wrong with it electronically. id go to a good mechanic and get them to run a diagnostic.
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
BongoKongo

No noise, No warning & it drove perfect. I just slowed down at a stop sign & it stalled and that is where it stayed until the RACQ trucked it home. He said that it was the Torque converter that had locked up.
The Transmission fluid pan was full of crud (bits of bands etc) so I pulled her out.
Went to the local wreckers & picked up a used one ( with torque converter because I think the old one may be rooted too - seized maybe).

Now comes the fun of lifting this bohemith & trying to bolt it back up to the engine block without doing myself an injury while still keeping both Nads intact.

Dam.. Those top 2 bolts are hard to get at & the starter motor bolts are a pain to get to as well.
Thanks for all your help guys, it is appreciated. :
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

starter motors are the worst hey... that top bolt is a pain..
i've done quite a few auto's now.. in mine and mates cars.. they get heavier and heavier each time...haha
glad to hear you got it sorted..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post