Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
rhysieboyy

Default fitting uhf(im not a fullblown hillbilly lol)

hye guys havent been on here for a while and me and dad aare thinkin about fitting a uhf to the xr8 ute ,what we were thinkin of doin was fittin the aerial in the tub along the front end laying down and putting the uhf on top of the cd stacker,has anybody on here done this before?or have people made overhead consoles for au ute cabins?
cheers
rhys

rhysieboyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
ford-88
ford-88

I was looking at this site a while ago for my ute

http://www.consoles.com.au/Ford_FalconAU_low.htm
ford-88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Did I read that right. Your going to lay the aerial down ?
Old 26-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

That's how I read it too...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
rhysieboyy

yer like along the fron of the tub and 1 side drill and mount a bracket so it runs along the front of the tub if you get what im saying,we wanna keep the original look but have a uhf lol were already makin it into a mini bns ute we got the rm williams bullhorn sticker on the back window lol
Old 26-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Mate, if you are making it a mini BNS ute, just mount the aerial in such a way that it would actually work?

Lemme guess though, you got the UHF free with your RM Williams sticker?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysieboyy
yer like along the fron of the tub and 1 side drill and mount a bracket so it runs along the front of the tub if you get what im saying,we wanna keep the original look but have a uhf lol were already makin it into a mini bns ute we got the rm williams bullhorn sticker on the back window lol
That will work great if you only want to talk to the car next to you, because thats about all the range you're going to get. Try to think of it like putting a TV antenna in the basement.

When you do get it going PLEASE don't use channel 40
Old 26-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
rhysieboyy

yer nah stuff usin the truckers channel nah just makes it easier to keep intact with mates when out drivin on a cruise and what not and of course to find out where the bacon patrol is,so havin it layin down shorts out the reception does?hmmm well might have to mount it behind the cab standing up
Old 26-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysieboyy
so havin it layin down shorts out the reception does?hmmm well might have to mount it behind the cab standing up
Put it this way. Out on the plains a Truck UHF will get out about 15+ k's (30k radius) with a roof mounted antenna. If you put yours hidden away under metal you might be lucky to get 300 metres.

If you don't want a permanent fitting you can get a magnetic base antenna and take it off when you don't use it.
Old 26-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
rhysieboyy

ok thanks for the info goin shopping for my new work tools tomorrow so might have to look into what its gunna cost to get all stuff for it
cheers
rhys
Old 27-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

You cant lay down a UHF antenna... the use their height inorder to send and receive radio waves... laying it down also creates alot of interference.

2 possible idea's to look for then.. 1. removable one. 2. short wave and stick in rear window. But remember, the shorter the antenna, the smaller the dB and thus, the smaller the working area.

Another possible idea for you (and i will be doing this myself) is buying a remote head based UHF, that is where the actual handpiece forms the head unit... that way you dont need to mount a head unit or base... you only need something for the handpiece to clip to... and these can also be easily removed or hidden.
Old 27-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
scrivens
quarter pane

We had to have UHF for emergencies when working/travelling in remote areas. I always bolted the unit to the console side just in front of the driver's seat where it was easy to reach the various knobs and buttons, close to power and simple routing for the aerial coax. For really remote areas I used a big magnetic mount on the boot lid, for normal Hay Plains type areas I had a standard aerial mounted in a hole bored on the driver's side, exactly opposite where the radio aerial is on the passenger side. As has been said, lay it down and you'll be talking to yourself. I found that even the specially wound "shorty" aerials were useless - needs to be up in the air.
scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

i had a UHF in my ED, drilled it into the centre console in the passenger footwell side. easy to reach and see, and yeah good fun stirrin up people with my mates haha
Old 27-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you mount the aerial behind the ute cabin, is there somewhere to feed the aerial coax out of the cabin to it without drilling holes in the cabin?
I am considering mounting the head unit under the dash D/S
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
rhysieboyy

im sure there;d be some plug there or put it through the speaker lookin thingies behind the cab