Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Default AU Series 1 Compared to Series 2/3 XR6

What are the big differences between the 3 in the XR6 range. Is the body kit the only difference? I am looking buy an au xr6, series 1 came up but I hate the body kit and prefer series 2, if the only difference is the body kit I could put series 2 on there and it would be the same? Mechanically, interior, exterior...
Any help would be great

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Brakes are probably the biggest difference, there are quite a few other differences too though.

Wait for a series II/III.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I find the interior of the S2-3 to be nicer on the eyes.
The firewall was refined in the S2-3 to make the engine quieter, the S2-3 got another half a litre of oil in the sump, which extends service intervals from 10K - 15K (not that any of us really leaves it longer than 10K).
There were some nice colour choices added S2-3.
The body kit was indeed nicer (but opinions are always subjective).
Smartlock changed to Smartshield with nicer keypad (although some S1 also got this - Smartshield).

The biggest and most important change has already been mentioned - BRAKES! S2-3 brakes leave the S1 items for dead.

There's probably a lot more, but since I don't actually own an XR, that's about the limit of my memory.

If I were spending my money on an AU again, which I'd be happy to do, I'd be looking at a S2-3.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

There's no doubt that AUII/III is always the best choice, but there's something nice about the AU1s as well. Yep, they're inferior in heaps of ways, but they're also less diluted or something like that. In some ways the AUII/III is more 'normal' than the AU1 - the AU1 provides a weirdly awesome experience.
Old 26-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
There's no doubt that AUII/III is always the best choice, but there's something nice about the AU1s as well. Yep, they're inferior in heaps of ways, but they're also less diluted or something like that. In some ways the AUII/III is more 'normal' than the AU1 - the AU1 provides a weirdly awesome experience.
Agreed. Nicely said!

If there was no such thing as the S2-3, we'd all be quite happy to rave about the S1, apart from the brakes that is! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Thanks GK. I purposely bought an AUII over an AU1 for my proper car but when I had my AU1 i was pleasantly surprised with how un-terrible it was, i mean for all it's faults and failings it was somehow more 'Pure' or something. I kinda liked it. I can understand why my father-in-law loves his AU1 s-pak that he's had since basically brand spankers.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Are the brakes changable?

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
Are the brakes changable?
Yep, and it's an upgrade I've had done to my S1 wagon. Money absolutely well spent.

Here's an awesome thread detailing all you'll need and a step by step process with photos.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...69#post2720169

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well Ive owned an AU 1,2 & 3.

S1:
I agree with Mr Hardware on this one, the S1 really is unique in its own right, and contrary to many people, I prefer its interior to the s2&3, the centre part of the dash on a s2/3 looks like Ford just cut a hole in it and slapped the AC and stereo there. An S1 dash flows all together, and in black sure looks great.
Also, the full XR bodykit is simply fantastic IMO.

S2:
The XR kit was really toned down on this one, it looks good, but not the best of the AU. Naturally, the S2 got the 2 piston brakes, laminated firewall for better NVH, aluminum radiator, more reliable ball joints and I do believe IRS models were reconfigured too. I think the xr6 HP still had LSD standard.

S3:
Naturally the pick of the bunch, hardest/most expensive to find and the XRs are in the best colours (i swear every second S2 XR was silver). Bodykit for the xr6 is identical to that of the S2. xr6 HP did not have LSD standard.

Personally, if youre interested in saving money, get a S1 XR6 without the bodykit (theres plenty around). The brakes arent as bad as many think, just the S2's are better. Mechanicals are virtually identical, especially if its a HP.
But if youre set on a S2, then theres plenty around too for a good price. As far as XR6s go, the only difference between a S2 and S3 is the Series III badge, and LSD (HP). And S2s will always be cheaper.

Also, in my experience stay away from the VCT XR6, nothing more than a fuel guzzling slug thats outpaced by the supposed "lesser" HP model. If IRS means that much, get a V8 model. uses same (if less) fuel and is more fun. Some will say different, but hey in the end its up to you
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post