Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you buy my Hybrid?
Hell yes, what a perfect concept 8 9.88%
Maybe, I like the idea but am not 100% on hybrids yet 7 8.64%
No, while it is tempting I am a LPG driver 7 8.64%
No, 120km/h is too slow 12 14.81%
No, I will stick with conventional technology for a while yet 26 32.10%
No chance, it does not have stripes, a bulge, 4 exhausts and a V8 21 25.93%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #31
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a decent hybrid powertrain, you need to look at the Fisker Karma. You have to ignore the Japanese hybrids, where they are gutless, rely more on the gutless petrol engine than they do on the wheezy little electric motor they threw on there as an afterthought. Then to top it off, they throw in some Lead-Acid batteries.
Electric motors should be used, far more torque than a diesel if done right, and forget peak torque at 1600-1800rpm on a diesel, electrics peak torque start at 0 rpm, and can rev like an F1 car. I am all for electric motors in all cars, trucks, SUVs, busses. But I still think there is a conspiracy out there to make elec motors look expensive, bad, slow, and unreliable. But what is more reliable than 1 moving part? Diesels will require urea/DEF system to meet future emissions laws while being able to maintain the fuel economy advantage. So they are getting more expensive. I like diesels, but electric is much better. I also don't mind if it has a small internal combustion engine to charge the batteries (and keep them charged), it would still be better.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #32
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
For a decent hybrid powertrain, you need to look at the Fisker Karma. You have to ignore the Japanese hybrids, where they are gutless, rely more on the gutless petrol engine than they do on the wheezy little electric motor they threw on there as an afterthought. Then to top it off, they throw in some Lead-Acid batteries.
Electric motors should be used, far more torque than a diesel if done right, and forget peak torque at 1600-1800rpm on a diesel, electrics peak torque start at 0 rpm, and can rev like an F1 car. I am all for electric motors in all cars, trucks, SUVs, busses. But I still think there is a conspiracy out there to make elec motors look expensive, bad, slow, and unreliable. But what is more reliable than 1 moving part? Diesels will require urea/DEF system to meet future emissions laws while being able to maintain the fuel economy advantage. So they are getting more expensive. I like diesels, but electric is much better. I also don't mind if it has a small internal combustion engine to charge the batteries (and keep them charged), it would still be better.
Its not the motors that are the problem mate, its the batteries that expensive, bad, slow, and unreliable.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You can forget about lead acid battery technology, their physical size, weight and lack of capacity
compared to Nickel Metal Hydrate or Lithium Ion means they are consigned to history...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You can forget about lead acid battery technology, their physical size, weight and lack of capacity
compared to Nickel Metal Hydrate or Lithium Ion means they are consigned to history...

They're trying to move to super capacitor technology for batteries. Problem is the capacities aren't there. But in small devices (like drills) apparently they are unbelievable. Hopefully in the next 5-10 years they'll get it right.
Old 18-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #35
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In 2012....................

Would you buy one?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Turbo LILPG I-4?
Some different hardware and electronics different to Ecoboost, I think it would be even better....
Let's get the Geelong Engineers onto it...
Yes