Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is it worth it?

Been car shopping (again..) and found an EB V8 that I just about fell in love with.. (must be that V8 thing again, hear the words V8 and im sold!!!)

Currently they have $6500 on this car. Its white with very straight panels (except for a minor dint where it looks like a car door has hit it). Automatic, 184k/km. Lowered and mags (crappy mags, scrubbed to bits). Petrol. (which i prefer anyway). New exhaust system. No obvious leaks/rust.

Probably hard for you guys to tell me if its worth it without a photo and seeing the car first hand but a rough idea would be great...

Cheers

Melz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
XT221
Blue Blooded

Smile

I Recently sold my 95 ef 5.0l fairmont with 16x7 & 16x8 roh wheels, 6months rego, had 150000kays and was in pristine cond, only got $6500 for it. my point is you should be able to get a better ride for the money, just my 2 cents....
XT221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
-jjM-
Banned

true, there are alot more out there mate, thing is where too look :S
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, i appreciate your comment. I can understand totally, i thought it was a bit on the expensive side (but i haven't had much experience with this model, so wasn't 100%). Just wanted a bit more of an idea before haggling!
Old 24-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
BuuBox

I wouldn't pay more than 4k or so for it, especially with the way fuel prices are headed.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
I wouldn't pay more than 4k or so for it, especially with the way fuel prices are headed.
No offence, but what does the price of petrol have to do with it? Even if petrol hits $2.00 a litre, it won't bring down the cost of a V8 - people drive V8 cause they want to, not cause they are efficient. The roads would be covered with Daewoo Matizs if we all thought that way. /END RANT

Melz - you didn't mention what year or series it was. If it is EB1, I'd be wary. If it's EB2, it may still be a touch on the high side but not excessive. Is it a GLi, XR8 or Fairmont? If it's XR8 or Fairmont, that's probably quite reasonable. And 184K is pretty low for a 12 year old car.
Not much goes wrong with the Windsors with those sort of low k's on them - and if there are no obvious leaks and no panel damage, I reckon go for it. You are the one parting with the cash, if you like the car, then why not?
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a series 1 gli
Old 24-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Not worth $6500. $5000 tops, that's only because of the low kms. You could get an EB2 Ghia 5.0 for $6500. I didn't pay much more for my Fairlane.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
BuuBox

Scope, the fact that it's a V8 has everything to do with price. Have you seen how many 'inefficient' cars are for sale on the side of the road? Someone on these forum's got a BA XR8 for 27k. At the least, it's a haggling point. At the most, it's a huge concern for a large group of people, who might just be driving a V8.

Series 1 EB? Gli? Definatly low points there. I'd imagine you could pick up a EB2 Ghia with similar km's for around the same price. But if it's in especially good condition...
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hey Melz arn't you from Bendigo, there was a EB Fairmont Ghia 5ltr, lowered with 16in Tickford's and tint for sale, I see it getting around a fair bit, it look's really nice.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, im from Bendigo.. i haven't seen that car... i'll have to keep my eyes peeled!! Cheers
Old 24-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I didnt pay much more for that for my 95 LTD, its got high K's but like what has been said, its nothing for the V8's. Keep looking, there are plenty of gems out there.

Looking for a V8 is definately a good thing, because of the fuel prices people are offloading them rather cheap to buy their more fuel effiecient cars, me? i jumped into my V8 tonight, fired it up and it put the biggest smile on my face after not being able to drive it
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #13
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
I didnt pay much more for that for my 95 LTD, its got high K's but like what has been said, its nothing for the V8's. Keep looking, there are plenty of gems out there.

Looking for a V8 is definately a good thing, because of the fuel prices people are offloading them rather cheap to buy their more fuel effiecient cars, me? i jumped into my V8 tonight, fired it up and it put the biggest smile on my face after not being able to drive it
Thanxs for posting.. now i've changed my mind and now i want your Cortina..!! hmmm the joys of wanting my cake and eating it too!! lol
Old 24-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Theres even a EL XR8 on the forums for sale for $6500... just something to think about
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #15
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You'll get better value for money looking an an XR8 or Fairmont/Ghia V8 (or LWB :P)

$6500 is more than what my Ghia V8 would be worth now I reckon. Keep looking ;) The Windsor V8s are a good reliable motor, but they do need a bit of waking up if you want grunt ;) Mine's still sleeping :Reverend:

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #16
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

Go to bed & sleep on it
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #17
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke AV
Go to bed & sleep on it
Very good advice, i did go to bed and sleep on it! And decided to hold off and do a few things with my current vehicles. A splash out a bit, do the Advanced Driving course, Trip to Wagga for the ford day and the PFM drags. That should leave me broke enough for now!! Then i'll be back in the market for an e-series!
Old 25-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #18
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Good move its too old (EB) for the money and an EF-EL could be had for that.

Also the V8's are being almost given away by some private sellers too now as the hype of the petrol prices meets the hip pocket with a lot of people. It is getting hard to sell an older Aussie V8.

Plenty of time to haggle here I bet.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote