Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
urbancowboy

Default Front sway bar issues! please help if you can

I've got a AU2 XR8, The front end had been making a knock/clunk on the left mainly for a few weeks now and it does it when close to full lock.

I had all new Nolathane bushes put in the front end on Monday, Including new front Monroe GT Sport gas shocks. The Bushes are the red coloured type however the bushes i received for the sway bar are Nolathane's black type. Since my size was out of stock in the red type.

This made the cluck immediately more noticeable! whats more it wasn't only louder, but now does it when no where near full lock and from both sides!

So i go to the mechanic that works on my car and he has a look under the front end while the cars sitting on the ground with full left lock, and he grabs my sway bar and it moves a full two inches! I said WTF! Its got new bushes in the D clamp's and the link pins have new bushes!, it's been fully tightened up and the bushes are greased! So i reiterate WTF?

Im thinking i'll go back to Rubber D bushes and see if this eliminates the movement.

And ideas as to why my Brand New Nolathane bushes are useless? im pretty much going to send them back and demand a refund! But what if my sway bar still moves after i put rubber ones in it? after all it was doing it before, and i don't see what i can do to stop it!

HELP!

I'm starting to think my XR8 is a ALFA ROMEO!

****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
cjf
GT Hardcore

My guess is that you have the wrong size D bushes or something else in the front end is badly worn allowing movement.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
urbancowboy

D bushes are correct! i measured the sway bar with verniers and then when the sway bar bushes went on they were tight and still feel tight. They are allowing the sway bar to move side to side though.
Maybe the Link pins are allowing the movement?

EVERY front bush has been replaced!
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!

Last edited by urbancowboy; 04-11-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
So i go to the mechanic that works on my car and he has a look under the front end while the cars sitting on the ground with full left lock, and he grabs my sway bar and it moves a full two inches! I said WTF! Its got new bushes in the D clamp's and the link pins have new bushes!, it's been fully tightened up and the bushes are greased! So i reiterate WTF?
What did the mechanic think the problem was?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check your balljoints
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
urbancowboy

Mechanic originally said them new bushes are farked!
A friend suggested i get D bushes one size too small to get em fitting tighter.

Ball joints them selves feel good, however they may be a little loose in the control arm he suggested i.e. spline a bit old but ball joints seem ok.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

This sounds wierd.

How is it possible that your mechanic could not see the fault, yet he was moving the sway bar '2 inches'...........
Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
urbancowboy

Dunno but im seriously at my wits end with my heap of **** XR8!