Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
crannersEL
Banned

Default Brake light always blowing

Hey guys, the right hand side brake light keeps on blowing in my EL. We replaced the globe about 4 days ago and it blew again last night. Is this a fuse problem? Its only happening to the right side and not the left

I have also read you shouldn't touch the glass of the globe with your fingers when you install them, is this true? :

Thanks Paul

crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

That tends to be with halogen lights (the not touching them).

There must be some wiring issue happening. Sounds like either something is shorting out in or around that light globe (could be water or a bare wire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
Hey guys, the right hand side brake light keeps on blowing in my EL. We replaced the globe about 4 days ago and it blew again last night. Is this a fuse problem? Its only happening to the right side and not the left

I have also read you shouldn't touch the glass of the globe with your fingers when you install them, is this true? :

Thanks Paul
do you have subs in the boot cos mine used to do that when i had subs i guess it was the vibration then i took them out and it dosent happen anymore.
RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
neb
hibernating

my brake lights tend to blow fairly often as well.. well not as quick as yours... i've heard that there is some kind of fix for it? anyone know?
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

must be a wagon thing :P
Old 29-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
crannersEL
Banned

Nah i got no subs in the boot, There was a bit of water in behind the housing of the light section tho. Its been 3 globes in about a week.

Paul
Old 29-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Cranners, do you have a Towbar and Dodgy wiring? Sometimes when blokes wire the Trailer plug they either use Scotchloks or they just wrap a bit of wire around the twisted wire connection? Sounds like it COULD be your culprit? Dont think it is a fuse? they dont get LH/RH challenged
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
1TUFEA
MONTY is Alive !

my mate had this in his el futura and it ended up being that the wiring around the boot arm was crimping the wire til it was bare and everytime he breaked it would blow so check for loose connections ! also when i converted my ea tail lights to an eb setup the wires were crossed up so if it aint something with a bare wire just check that the globe holder itself is clear from anything that may cross the connection eg water and wet leaves and the like !!!

1988 Ford Fairmont EA Series 1

MODS: Hurricane Extractors, Red dash light, Fake Xenon Lights, Mpfi Conversion, Dumpage, 17" ANZ Mayhems (Chrome)

TO COME: 5 speed trans, 4.11 LSD, Carputer, Stage 2 cam, Major Head Work . :
1TUFEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
Cranners, do you have a Towbar and Dodgy wiring? Sometimes when blokes wire the Trailer plug they either use Scotchloks or they just wrap a bit of wire around the twisted wire connection? Sounds like it COULD be your culprit? Dont think it is a fuse? they dont get LH/RH challenged

Nah mate cars never towed, so no wire setups as such have been created.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
crannersEL
Banned

Ive taken away all the housing for the Tail lights, and there is a fair bit of water and muck around the area. I will clean it all out tonight and allow it to dry out overnight. Hopefully this helps, otherwise ill nned to seek advice from an Auto electric person.

PAul