Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
renno
Starter Motor

Default Would like advice on head gasket change.

I'm about to change the head gasket on my EB SeriesI. What do members consider is the best procedure to follow. I see that some recomend using an AU head gasket. Would this fit a 3.9CFI engine? Also what would be the best procedure to follow after the head goes on. I've seen using water after the initial start up recomended before putting in coolant, why? Any comments would be welcome.

renno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

renno tyr this doc
http://www.deleted link/portal/kb.php?mode=article&k=15

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
renno
Starter Motor

Default [B]Would like advice on head gasket change[/B]

Thanks for the reply Dellboy999. Yes I have looked at that site and downloaded the info, but there does appear to be more than one way to skin a cat. What I would like to know is will an AU head gasket fit the 3.9CFI motor, and is putting coolant back into the motor immediately before the initial startup the best way to go, or should I use plain water first.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Renno, the EB series 1 head gasket is DIFFERENT to the AU and ED. The Water jackets are different and you can see it when you have them together.

When the mechanics at work change heads they always add Coolant when they fill er up. Just make sure you make the Coolant and water ratio correct and completely EMPTY the system then add the NEW stuff
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
Damo
Banned

i have read that you should run water for a week for the headgasket to cure properly. Same goes for the water pump.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
superloweb
Fairmont6

do not run the car with just water, the coolant is there to protect the head gasket and internals from corrosion, the only reason people would run it with just water is to make sure they have no leaks, if they filled it with coolant and it leaked it would just be a waste of coolant. also dont put too much coolant in it becuase the water will become acidic and have the same effect. they rekon 3L coolant in a 3.9L ansd the rest water
superloweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
xa bird
XA coupe owner

Go to ford and buy the motorcraft coolant its expensive but worth it grab a new thermstat from ford as well don't use an aftermarket one they are nowhere near as good.
xa bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superloweb
they rekon 3L coolant in a 3.9L and the rest water
According to whom? Certainly not Ford! The capacity of the system is 15 litres, in normal climates, they recommend 33% coolant - in colder climates, up to 50%.
So using a full 5 litre bottle of GENUINE coolant would be the correct way to change it.
I wouldn't bother with cheap coolants, either - they do more harm than good - genuine Ford coolant isn't that expensive.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #9
renno
Starter Motor

Thank's for the advice guys, it's greatly appreciated.
Tony.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spope
So using a full 5 litre bottle of GENUINE coolant would be the correct way to change it.
I wouldn't bother with cheap coolants, either - they do more harm than good - genuine Ford coolant isn't that expensive.
You are so right. R132x1lt and R133x5lt are cheaper than buying Kmart brand. Kmart brand you are paying for water mostly.

R132 = $17.95 R133 = $75.20
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #11
eafalcon
Starter Motor

Just about everybody uses the AU gasket without any probs. They say it blocks certain waterways to redirect the waterflow to give better and even cooling.
No one had had a bad thing to say about using the AU h/gasket
eafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote