Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Getting another E series :)- Towing question

Hi guys,

Im getting another E series soon! Yay!

Dad's EA is dying in the **** and he doesnt like fixing cars so he will be driving our spare barina once its registered.

So I get to keep his ter EA pov pack GL 3 speed. :eclipsee_ Its on Gas and its free so Im not going to say no. The plan is to fit up a newer engine and convert it to manual at the same time. I might fix up the body later on and get it sprayed but the torana is priority.

How do these cars tow? Its going to be a tow car on weekends. Will it handle towing another car easily? Have any of you guys towed cars with your E series?

I towed an EB ghia wreck in mum's ea once and it struggled to move. Hopefully this was only due to it being auto.

Does anyone have a 5 speed conversion going at the moment?

Old 11-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

It is usually the other way around,, the BTR is recomended to tow over the manual.. The clutch or something is the weak link when towing with a manual.. I've towed a car trailor with my EL (670 000 kays and LPG) and other than a slight smell from the trans from city traffic take offs it was fine

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Inferno
Mr Forty Seven

I towed in my EB, nothing too it. I hate use to hate reversing with a trailer, but now I quite like it.

It might come down to the tow pack you've got on the car too, the EB could only tow upto 1600k including the trailer where as the EF can tow upto 2400k including trailer.

That's my 2 cents

Also Featuring

NFERNO Registration Plates
ELXR Front Bar & Bonnet with Sequential Scoop
18x8 Graphite Rims, Genie Extractors and Exhaust, Chrome Moulds
ELGT Steering Wheel, Clear Repeators, Cornering Lamps, Tinted Windows
Walnut Highlights, Pionner DEH-P9650MP Headunit & Pro-Series Speakers

Local Playground: Brisbane CBD and surrounding suburbs
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
It is usually the other way around,, the BTR is recomended to tow over the manual.. The clutch or something is the weak link when towing with a manual.. I've towed a car trailor with my EL (670 000 kays and LPG) and other than a slight smell from the trans from city traffic take offs it was fine
Hmm, mums car must be in poor shape or something but it was struggling to get to 60km/hr within a minute.

I always thought a manual was better for towing. Dad's trans is screwed and i really dont want to be replacing it with another 3 speed :(
Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

If its JUST going to be a tow car, keep it 3 speed auto, $800 rebuilds and never say die, and a 2.77lsd will be just perfect.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be my run around car once it has decent running gear hence wanting a manual. I dont think I could go back to an auto falcon as a daily. Especially one without boost :(
Old 11-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
It will be my run around car once it has decent running gear hence wanting a manual. I dont think I could go back to an auto falcon as a daily. Especially one without boost :(
I tow quite alot with my 5 speed EA, nothing to it, doesn't complain and gets the job done well.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slection
I tow quite alot with my 5 speed EA, nothing to it, doesn't complain and gets the job done well.
Cool, thats what I wanted to know.

Cheers
Dan
Old 11-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

i know Gunns tows a fair bit.
both with the SVO and the old EA, if you're gunna put a 5 speed in, just makesure you put a decent clutch in and it should be sweet.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #10
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
i know Gunns tows a fair bit.
both with the SVO and the old EA, if you're gunna put a 5 speed in, just makesure you put a decent clutch in and it should be sweet.
Cool. Ill get the barina ready for a RWC tonight so I can start working on the EA this weekend.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I have done so much towing with manual E series Falcons I should have my truck licence.

89 CFI, 89 MPFI, 93 XR6, 93 XG, 97 XH, blah blah..... All manuals.

The majority of my towing these days is a 1600kg dual axle enclosed trailer.
I have also towed car trailers and 2200kg boats with the same vehicles.

Many people like the autos for towing, I hate them.
They never seem to select the right gear, thy run as hot as buggery (even with a cooler), they have nil engine braking, and they don't last long.

A manual is so much easier to handle, you have engine braking, always the right gear, and cheap running costs.
The only requirement is a heavy duty clutch.
If you're going to tow a heavy load, a shorter diff ratio also helps.

My current tow vehicle is a BA I6 manual ute.

Rick.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, thats good to know Sox. Mum's was auto and I hated it. The auto was slipping heaps and overheating with a cooler. It took ages to get home.

What is the best kind of tow kit to have? Im not sure what is on Dad's. What should the tow kit be attached to? Are they all the same?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The standard as a 1200kg tow bar, you can fit an EB/ED 2600kg hayman reece tow bar if you drill a few extra 13mm holes, thats what I have put on my car.

Maybe look at getting one of them and a trailer with electronic braking and a unit in the car as well, not sure how much it would be needed, but help increase safety for frequent towing.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Cool, thats good to know Sox. Mum's was auto and I hated it. The auto was slipping heaps and overheating with a cooler. It took ages to get home.

What is the best kind of tow kit to have? Im not sure what is on Dad's. What should the tow kit be attached to? Are they all the same?
There are basically 2 different units, the 1600kg standard bar, and a 2300kg heavy duty hitch.

The hitch has the big square tube attachment and is likely the one you need if you're towing a car trailer.

I have never used electric brakes so not actually sure of there merits, however I've never found cable brakes to be of any problem if maintained well.

Load leveller bars will also likely be needed otherwise the rear of your car will be scraping it's belly.
The load levellers lift the rear end and transfer some of the weight to the front wheels, thus increasing steering response, evening braking, and levelling the car.
They also help a little with sway, though it shouldn't have a problem with swaying if the load is distributed properly.
That is, 10% of the total weight should be ball weight, so if your load is 2000kg, you should have 200kg of ball weight.

Rick.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
There are basically 2 different units, the 1600kg standard bar, and a 2300kg heavy duty hitch.

The hitch has the big square tube attachment and is likely the one you need if you're towing a car trailer.

I have never used electric brakes so not actually sure of there merits, however I've never found cable brakes to be of any problem if maintained well.

Load leveller bars will also likely be needed otherwise the rear of your car will be scraping it's belly.
The load levellers lift the rear end and transfer some of the weight to the front wheels, thus increasing steering response, evening braking, and levelling the car.
They also help a little with sway, though it shouldn't have a problem with swaying if the load is distributed properly.
That is, 10% of the total weight should be ball weight, so if your load is 2000kg, you should have 200kg of ball weight.

Rick.

Mums car has a big square tube at the back that you slide the tow bar and tow ball into. Is this the heavy duty kit? I might have to steal it :P

I didnt know that about the tow ball weight. Which is probably why I couldnt travel at over 60km/hr without the car fishtailing violently when Sunny and I brought home my ghia wreck a while ago. I figured the trailer was rooted as it was a hire one. Im guessing now it wasnt on the trailer good enough.

Thanks for all your advice guys, its really helpful.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #16
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Well my EA original said 1200kg on it, and the one now says 2600kg on it, according to the stickers/plates on them.

Yes the Hayman Reece heacy duty is the square pole removable type, save bashing into the towbar when not used, I like that idea

Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Mums car has a big square tube at the back that you slide the tow bar and tow ball into. Is this the heavy duty kit? I might have to steal it :P
Sounds like the one you need. If in doubt, it should have some kind of compliance tag stating it's capacity.
Quote:
I didnt know that about the tow ball weight. Which is probably why I couldnt travel at over 60km/hr without the car fishtailing violently when Sunny and I brought home my ghia wreck a while ago. I figured the trailer was rooted as it was a hire one. Im guessing now it wasnt on the trailer good enough.
Was the car on backwards, or perhaps not far foward enough?
Most people aren't aware of the ball weight issue, as a consequence things just get thrown in a trailer with no thought as to how the weight should be distributed. Recipe for disaster.
Follow the 10% rule and all should be fine.

I am able to maintain 110kph without any hint of swaying with 2000kg behind me.

Rick.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #18
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Well my EA original said 1200kg on it, and the one now says 2600kg on it, according to the stickers/plates on them.
Possibly just different brands, my figures were just ballpark anyhow.

Rick.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #19
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Sounds like the one you need. If in doubt, it should have some kind of compliance tag stating it's capacity.

Was the car on backwards, or perhaps not far foward enough?

I am able to maintain 110kph without any hint of swaying with 2000kg behind me.

Rick.
It was on backwards. Would all the weight be at the back of the trailer and cause trouble?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #20
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Fair enough then, as you said ALWAYS read the tags on the tow bar and don't exceed the limits, and load the trailer correctly.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
It was on backwards. Would all the weight be at the back of the trailer and cause trouble?
Backwards loading a car will do it everytime.

Rick.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #22
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Dan,

My EF tows my boat rather nicely with the 5spd.

Definately go with a HD clutch though, mine has a PBR HD and I noticed when I picked the boat up from Sydney that hill starts in traffic with a 1500kg boat/trailer on the back would kill a standard clutch pretty quickly!

I would also recommend some sort of trailer braking system for towing that sort of weight, my front rotors are warped to buggery from trying to stop with the boat on the back, stopping distance is hugely increased as well!

Daniel

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #23
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill add my 2c

I have towed a landcruiser on the back of a trailer with my ef 5 speed and had no probs. If you drive according to the load youll be fine.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #24
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, thanks guys.

Looks like the heap will get an AU engine and 5 speed conversion soon.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #25
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Towed the XB from Geelong in the NC and it was fine. Sat on 100-110 all the way home. Chomped fuel though.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post