Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
damo03
BBQ gas User

Default manual into EB / ED

Hi guys.

I have been looking at buying a early E series Fairmont on gas and then converting it to manual. I'm not familiar with the Ecu's in the EA's, and EB's but I would rather buy a EB or ED after all the stories I have heard about EA's!

If I buy a EB II or ED is the infrastructure for a EA 5 speed manual compatible with the EBII or ED? I.E will the 5 speed, pedal box bell housing bolt straight on?

Also will I have to get a EA manual ECU or a Manual ECU specific to the model (eg manual eb ecu or manual ed ecu)?

Also when did the fairmont Ghia's stop having self leveling suspension? Was it just the EA?

Cheers in advance.

Damo

Old 14-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

not sure on the self leveling suspension - its crap anyway

IIRC the EA wont bolt up to eb2/ed because the gearbox mounts are slighty different, but the rest should bolt on. the ECU will only work on eb2/ed if its smart lock enabled (10/92 and onwards EB2) and all eds. the ea ecu will prolly not work if its CPI. thats if my memory serves me correctly

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

It will bolt in. The flywheels are different 3.9 to 4.0, however the 3.9 flywheel will bolt up still. Just make sure you get the right clutch for it, XR-EA will fit the EA, EBII-AU won't. The EA/EB 1 boxes are weaker than the EBII/ED ones. They also have different gear rations and no reverse brake.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
neb
hibernating

ea/eb1 gearboxes have a killer 1st gear though :P i would get a 4.0L (eb2 onwards) flywheel and clutch if you can, I've got the 3.9 clutch in mine its pretty useless once you have a bit of power
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
damo03
BBQ gas User

Ok. So if I get a EA box and infrastructure but put a 4.0 lt clutch and flywheel on it will bolt on and work properly? Is the 4.0 lt clutch compatible with the EA box?

Would it be ok leaving a the Auto ecu in or would I have to source a EB manual ECU? Also I take it the diff / tailshaft setup in the EA/B/D manuals is the same?

Thanks for your help and input guys.

Damo
Old 14-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

4.0 flywheel and clutch will go straight in. Spline on the clutch is the same.

You can trick the auto ECU to run it properly, don't know the exact details on that.

Diff and tailshaft are the same.
Old 14-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

yeah what psycho chicken said!
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Sounds like a nice project.

As far as I can recall, only EA Ghias had self levelling and EB came standard with sportier suspension settings. Long wheelbase sedans (Fairlane/LTD) retained it up to at least NC, not sure about NF. Some WH Statesmans have a similar system, which in turn was dropped when Control Link came into production.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

NL has SLS Jack.