Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
TalbotsEF

Default Replacing Air Box with POD

For someone such as me who is not so mechanicaly advanced, can yahs help out on this one?! :

My previous ride being a REX, I ripped out the Air Box and replaced it with a "fully sick" Air Pod to help the sucker breath like a mofo. Made a huge difference in the car, especialy since it had a turbo hanging off it.

Now that I have a I6 Donk, I noticed most of you guys just put a better snorkel on and POD inside the box.. Im just wondering, is there a reason why the Air Box and snorkel should be left in? any reason for not removing snorkel and box to just run a POD? :yeees:

TalbotsEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
FordFan86
meow

Snorkel should be left on because it helps get more air in.
Box should be left on because it's illegal otherwise.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

that and it helps the pod get cooler air, instead of the engine bays hot air.
Old 20-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
TalbotsEF

I realise taking out the box is illegal, but so is the height of my car haha :

So it apparently just helps suck more air hey? I'm tempted to test this theory and run my car with a POD in Air Box and run POD alone with no air box.

Anymore theorys people?
Old 20-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
TalbotsEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
that and it helps the pod get cooler air, instead of the engine bays hot air.
Point taken, good call.
Old 20-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
darnoldrs

what might be able to be done is to cut a hole into the inner guard and run a pod filter there, getting lots of cold air. Leav the air box intact covering the plumbing so it looks standard and make up a guard around the pod to keep water and such from getting onto it in the inner guard. Juat a thought
darnoldrs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
TalbotsEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnoldrs
what might be able to be done is to cut a hole into the inner guard and run a pod filter there, getting lots of cold air. Leav the air box intact covering the plumbing so it looks standard and make up a guard around the pod to keep water and such from getting onto it in the inner guard. Juat a thought
mmmmmm yeah makes sense, infact thats how the subarus normaly take in air, my old one had a hol on the inner side of the guard etc - of course is no use when you rip the box out to run POD only.

Last edited by TalbotsEF; 20-10-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 20-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I think you'll find Subis have snorkels just like Falcons. It's just piped through the guard.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #9
TalbotsEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I think you'll find Subis have snorkels just like Falcons. It's just piped through the guard.
Yeah thats what I was meaning mate.