Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Downzy
5.0L EL Ghia

Default Replacing a Blendor motor in a 97 fairmont

G'day,

Summer is coming up, and currently my air-conditioning constantly blows hot air, regardless of how hot or cold it is outside or inside the car. In the past, I have used a button sequence to reset the climate control system and that seemed to fix it a couple of times. The last time I tried that, it did not work, and I've been told that it is most likely the Blendor motor that is broken.

I have managed to get hold of one, but I'm not sure what is required to replace it. I would imagine that I have to pull the whole dash out to get to it.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone know where behind the dash it is located or have any diagrams that might be useful? Any hints on what to be careful of?

I'm really not looking forward to this, I might have to see if I can line up a spare car in case I can't figure out how to put it back together straight away...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Downzy

Downzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Spag

dash has to come out, blendor is on the top of the heater box wedged under the windscrenn support panel. ***** to get out, easier to pull out the heater box. lift straight up, dont twist the motor or you'll break the flap insside the box.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im just about done doing a climate conversion to my car, so Ive just been down this road.

Dash isnt that hard to get out, just make sure when you pull it out all the plugs are disconnected, its a pain in the *** trying to undo a couple of plugs you missed when the dash is balancing on the transmission hump. Pull the seats out too so you have plenty of room.

Heaterbox most definately has to come out, theres no way your going to get the motor out and back in properly without doing it.

Aircon will have to be disconnected, make sure you seal up the pipes for it because the oil in the system is hydroscopic (absorbs moisture)

IMO hardest part of the whole job was diconnecting and replacing the heater hoses. Not sure if it'll be any easier or harder with the V8.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh also on another forum, a guy put 24 volts through his blend motor to try and kick it back into life and it actually worked. So it may be worth a try.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

The heater hoses on the V8's are easier to get to than the 6's.

I changed mine, and when I was putting the dash back in, I missed one vacuum line, so the air only blows out the windscreen now. I can't really add much to what the other guys already said, except I found it a big job, just don't panic 1/2 way through, if you think about what you're doing, its all fairly simple.

When you did the button reset sequence, did it come up with an error code? I think E3 is the blend door motor error.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Downzy
5.0L EL Ghia

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it all on board. I can't remember what the code was now, it was a long time ago. If I can remember what the reset sequence was, I'll try it again to double-check the code.

Cheers,
Downzy
Downzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
jeffb

If you have duel airbags, you can take the passenger airbag out to at least have a fiddle with the old one first before you start ripping the dash out.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post