Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Swordie

Default Falcon and Fairmonts below $5000

I’m looking around at Falcon / Fairmonts below $5000 for an elderly couple. Most appear to be over 200,000 kms. I was looking at EB’s onwards. They will probably do 5,000 km a year.

What’s a good model for my budget? What should I look for when looking at cars? Will there be much life left? What things would I expect pay for to keep the car going?

Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
BlackLS

Well not too long ago someone was selling a EF fairmont ghia for 3000, in the for sale section of the site.

For 5000 Look for a well kept EF futura with about 120,000. 200,000 is nothing to be ashamed of, as long as it has had its regular servicing, had the head gasket done, and perhaps auto serviced regularly.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

5k is quite a bit to spend!
km's aren't bad thing, just make sure the normal stuff was fixed. Timing chains, autos serviced and the dreaded head gasket. Also, ensure the drivers seat isn't too worn by some fat bloke.

Personally I like EB-EL. The EFII and EL were probably the pick of the bunch.
Not a great deal goes wrong, but if the normal stuff hasn't already been fixed... it will need to be, although none are expensive, or terribly difficult.

Expamples (taken from carpoint)
EL Fairmornt 152k - $5850
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Deskt...ias=carpointau
EB Fairmont Ghia Special Edition 202k - $4500
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Deskt...ias=carpointau

Now this is a nice example...
1994 ED Fairmort - 305k - $4000
Yes, its done 300,000clicks, but look at the condition!
Its got the original radio and mudflaps (clearly not owned by Mr.Boy-Racer)!
The seller says the body needs some attention... probably a spot of rust in the boot sill.

Fairmonts and Farimont Ghias were all autos (unless changed afterwards).
To get the manual option, go back to a well equipped Futura.

My choice, given 5k, would probably be a cobalt blue Falcon S (basically the first XR6 that ford made). They're nice inside, they're light and an extremly easy car to maintain thanks to the huge surplus of spares available for just about nothing.

Good luck with your hunting, you've got a huge market to choose from.
If you don't find anything you like, stick it out for another fortnight.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the ForSale section of this forum, the guys selling are always looking for a fast sale to buy something bigger and better which they simply can't wait for! I bought my current car from here, 230k EF1 XR6. I've just had to do the timing chain and head gasket (it was due anyway). It still puts a smile on all that drive it, but could do with some decent shocks... they're getting a bit worn!
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post