Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
krzysiek

Default Thoughts on the BMW 320D E90?

Hey guys,

I'm in the market (hopefully) for a new FG XR6 EcoLPI. Going mainly for the performance while still cheap-to-run factor. I like the looks, and the interior too. Hoping to wait for the FG II before making a purchase though... so I could be waiting a long time.

I have just recently looked at some BMW's. Never really considered them because, well, I'm probably not very educated in them. I've just never really bothered to check out their cars, as I wouldn't be interested in their 4-cyclinder Petrols, would possibly be interested in the N/A 6 but from brief looks at the KW/torque figures and weight of car, I feel an FG XR6 would provide a lot more for the money.

Anyway, I've spent a day or two browsing over and I love how the BMW's look. I would, if anything, be interested in the BMW 320D E90. I believe they have something like 130KW/380N or thereabouts. Given that our Astra TD at home has around 115KW/320N and has some pull, I figure the BMW might go well.

What are your thoughts on it? Fuel economy seems quite good, and would be providing me pretty much a very similar cost of running as to the Ford.

What about servicing costs? Are these cars reliable, if anyone knows?

And don't even get me started on the BMW 330D... LOL, a bucket-load of torque. Love it. Too expensive, haha. But the 320D seems a nice choice, still would have a bit of a kick, cheap to run, looks great inside and out. Thoughts?

PS: Spent an hour looking to see if I can import a 330D from UK because they're SO BLOODY CHEAP but they're not on the SEVS register (no BMW's are???) so I can't import it unless it is a personal import. Bloody sucks. Because there is a lot of $$$ to be made if I imported and re-sold even. Too bad.

krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
GT2

Default Re: Thoughts on the BMW 320D E90?

I bought my Mrs a 320d back on 2007. Great car to drive all round. Plenty of torque, just a little lag at first but you get quickly adapt. 7L/100km around the city and Sydney-Brisbane on a tank.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
krzysiek

Thanks GT2.

Not sure if they come in manual or not but I've seen one on YouTube in an Auto I've timed it myself on the phone who did 0-100KM in 7 seconds flat. Add a bit of error from my end to 7.2 or so, but still... did not expect that for a diesel. The N/A XR6 will do around that time from memory... quite impressive.

Did you ever get yours chipped?
Old 27-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
thedutchman92

Not sure about the BM but dad has a Audi A4 2.7 TDI and while it goes very effortlessly one annoying thing about it is the mid corner boost that you get (due to the lag) and I think it might be even worse in a RWD.
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
Hey guys,

I'm in the market (hopefully) for a new FG XR6 EcoLPI. Going mainly for the performance while still cheap-to-run factor. I like the looks, and the interior too. Hoping to wait for the FG II before making a purchase though... so I could be waiting a long time.

I have just recently looked at some BMW's. Never really considered them because, well, I'm probably not very educated in them. I've just never really bothered to check out their cars, as I wouldn't be interested in their 4-cyclinder Petrols, would possibly be interested in the N/A 6 but from brief looks at the KW/torque figures and weight of car, I feel an FG XR6 would provide a lot more for the money.

Anyway, I've spent a day or two browsing over and I love how the BMW's look. I would, if anything, be interested in the BMW 320D E90. I believe they have something like 130KW/380N or thereabouts. Given that our Astra TD at home has around 115KW/320N and has some pull, I figure the BMW might go well.

What are your thoughts on it? Fuel economy seems quite good, and would be providing me pretty much a very similar cost of running as to the Ford.

And don't even get me started on the BMW 330D... LOL, a bucket-load of torque. Love it. Too expensive, haha. But the 320D seems a nice choice, still would have a bit of a kick, cheap to run, looks great inside and out. Thoughts?

PS: Spent an hour looking to see if I can import a 330D from UK because they're SO BLOODY CHEAP but they're not on the SEVS register (no BMW's are???) so I can't import it unless it is a personal import. Bloody sucks. Because there is a lot of $$$ to be made if I imported and re-sold even. Too bad.
Have a look at the larger motor , going from 2l to 2.8 n/a makes a lot of difference , or add a blower (E36 328)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
krzysiek

Thanks Dutchman! I must say... a bit of mid corner boost sounds kinda fun haha, but I doubt that is the point you were trying to make. I guess it's something that needs a test drive!
Old 27-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
krzysiek

Atec77, thanks mate. I'm not good with BMW's at all, so I'll take a look. But a selling point for me is "cheap to run" that's why I'm having a bit of a dig in the 320D and also looking at the EcoLPi that's coming out (cheaper to run than 320D by a little bit, I think)

The 2.8 N/A you're talking of, which model is that? I am assuming it is ofcourse a petrol, in which case it probably, unfortunately, puts it out of the eqn for me.
Old 27-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

My mate at work just bought a new 320d, he had his freebie BMW driver training day today.
He is very impressed with it, performance and fuel economy is outstanding.
Old 28-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goes very well. All the power you need in day to day driving, it buries the petrol equivalent. The N47 diesel engine in it is very reliable. Servicing is a bit pricey, Bmw usually charge around $190ph. I'd advise servicing it yourself at home if you can you're much better off.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
krzysiek

Thanks for the input. My dad has been servicing our Holden Astra TD 2007 model so I think he would go okay with servicing this thing too. I've always loved the looks of a nice BMW, and I do like how this one looks. But it's around $35K-$39K for a 2007+ model, whereas I can get an FG XR6 EcoLPi brand new for around that price.

Tough choice. XR6 would be a bit cheaper to run from my calculations and obviously would be a more 'sportier' car, so I may just end up sticking with that. But the BMW looks nice for sure.
Old 28-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
krzysiek

I've also seen some "chipped" ones doing around 7 - 7.3 seconds to 100KM/h, very impressive for a 2L TD. In that case, pretty sure it's quicker than the XR6 N/A off the line.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys,

how about a second hand 07/08 mercedes c class diesel. 1.9 litres. 125kw, 400nm (from about 1500rpm), and only 6.7l /100 km. about 8 seconds 0 to 100kmh (slightly smaller then a falcon so feels as fast or faster as smaller cars generally do, even if falcon does it in 7 seconds) 5 speed auto, and 07 model will cost similar to a new falcon. was wheels car of the year when it came out. even sounds nice and racy being revved up! ive driven it as a mate owns one, it feels like less effort to speed up from idle then the heavy falcons i have owned, really quite zippy and smooth power. or what about a Volvo performance turbo machine? if you are looking at something besides a big falcon, you are opening a can of worms, there are so many choices with performance, effiecieny and economy, especially with smaller cars, as they are usually the most efficient, unlike barges like the falcon. if you are looking outside of falcons now, soon you will be judging cars on handling too, and there are so many better choices then a falcon in that respect too.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would probably stick with the Falcon, faster, handles better, more comfortable, more space, looks better, cheaper to run, cheaper to service, cheaper to fix.

Also lower end BMWs tend to have an economy car feel to them, Im not sure if its because they are built in South Africa or what, but probably better off with a Mazda 3 diesel or something.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
krzysiek

Thanks for your opinions guys. Appreciated. I am pretty focused on the XR6 Lpi, but if I were to consider anything else then it would have to be a Turbo Diesel with decent economy and power. I'd probably be wanting a sedan as well, not a coupe or anything. I might have to look around for some of the other offerings, but I do love how the BMW's look - will take a look at those Mercs too.

I think what Brazen said might have me in the end though, cheaper to service and cheaper to fix is where it might get me.
Old 28-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If you want something a bit sporty don't buy a diesel. They don't rev, usually have a bit of lag and sometimes have narrow torque bands. Small capacity ones anyway.

I big 6 would be a lot more enjoyable.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
thedutchman92

Or wait for the FG mkII with an ecoboost falcon, 2.0L twin-turbo with close to 200kw and 400nm. Fuel economy should be in the high 7s or low 8s around town and it would be very sporty indeed.
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #17
krzysiek

Wouldn't be able to drive the turbo (despite it having on par performance to the N/A 6) so will probably in most likelihood stick with the LPi. Any word on MKII for FG? Really not sure if I should be jumping on the FG XR6 LPi when it is out to buy, or if I should wait for the MKII
Old 29-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what you're after. If it's for economy don't compromise everything you want in a car and end up buying a souless plank on wheels.

The FG XR6 falcon can be put on liquid injection LPG, running costs solved. Now it's only a matter of deciding which one you like more.
Old 29-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #19
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I would probably stick with the Falcon, faster, handles better, more comfortable, more space, looks better, cheaper to run, cheaper to service, cheaper to fix.

Are you taking the ****?

If you aren't, I am sure your tongue and your windows are best friends.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #20
krzysiek

Drew, in his defense I think the 320D is not as fast as the XR6 (but I don't really know for certain) and the cheaper to run part I think is true for Lpi vs. Diesel (but not far off). Either way, both very nice cars!
Old 29-08-2011, 03:18 AM   #21
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Wouldn't be able to drive the turbo (despite it having on par performance to the N/A 6) so will probably in most likelihood stick with the LPi. Any word on MKII for FG? Really not sure if I should be jumping on the FG XR6 LPi when it is out to buy, or if I should wait for the MKII
MkII may not be as cheap or as discounted as what MkI would be when the time comes. It'll boil down to the extra features of what MkII brings and whether or not they're worth the extra dollars for you. It probably is a good idea to wait if you're not in a hurry - it's not like you can go out and buy an LPi at the moment anyway.
Old 29-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #22
Zero_PSI
Banned

Couldn't be bothered reading through the whole thing. But BMW has such a good name for a reason.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post