Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
BLACK 6
★★★

Default Audio Set-Up for my EF

Hey
Supercheap auto is having a 20% sale tomorrow so that's why I've decided to push forward my plans of getting my audio set-up.
Just wondering what everyone else has here:

What are some good speakers (6x9's) whether 3-Way, 4-Way..
and 2 amps or 1?
Thanks, but I do need answers quickly

BLACK 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Oz Dude

Step 1. Figure out what your budget is and what you will accept as far as quality and output are concerned.

Step 2. Get the best quality speakers you can afford. Preferably splits for the front with a 5" mid driver and then a set of 2 ways for the rear. You can bolt a 12" sub comfortably under the parcel shelf and have it fire through the factory port.

Step 3. Once you've settled on your speakers, match the RMS output of the amps to the speakers. For cost saving you could run 1 x 3 channel amp - L&R to the splits and the mono to the sub, and drive the rears off the deck. Rears should only be for "fill".

Before you go spending up big at Supercheap, get some specs and some prices then go to a car audio outlet and see hoe their prices stack up on other brands. Better to spend a couple of hundred more and get better sound than to blow it all on a "sale" and compromise. Not saying Supercheap have bad stuff but sometimes good prices are available in more places than one...

My $0.02.
Oz
Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
Mickus
Banned

Generally Supercheaps audio stuff isnt great, sony Xplod and panasonic gear mainly from memory I think.
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
the lane

In the wife's EF I put 6in pioneers in the front and the same in the back and a sanyo HU.She is stoked with the sound heaps better than factory.Super cheap is as good as anywhere to get entry level gear.Strathfield's has a wider range in the same dollar bracket.The problem I found buying cheaper gear is that I was never happy with it and always looking to up grade,costing more.The advise to but less but better is very sound advise.Good HU and speakers first, amps/subs later.At the end of the day it is personal choice,what I think sounds good may sound like crap to someone else.I personally like 6x9's alot of the forum uses don't,cool each to their own.In the NL I have a pioneer HU and 6in 3ways up front,6x9's in the back(in speaker boxes)and 12in sub,all running off two amps.My choice and I'm loving it.
the lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #5
Oz Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lane
At the end of the day it is personal choice,what I think sounds good may sound like crap to someone else.
That is by far the most important statement of all... It has to be something YOU like. When I built my last system, I had 3 sets of splits to choose from (all Focal, all the same size). Each cone was made of a different material. In my opinion 2 of them sounded like dogs bollocks which is why I picked the third but I was able to listen to all 3 types in 3 different cars so I could compare.

Before you lay down one penny, take music you like to listen to and listen to it! The sound board in the shop will still be different to your car but at least you can gauge what you like and don't like to a degree.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #6
-jjM-
Banned

6" pioneer 260w 4ways front and 6x9 pioneers 420w 4ways in the back, sounds good
needa a beter head unit thow, so far that was $400 all up, bout the speakers off ebay and headunit of a mate
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote