Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
catfood

Default Need some info on a busted axel

Hey all,

My names pat and I drive a green eb, nothing fancy just a manual, a bit of a lowering job and recently a minispool. Now last night I was having some fun in the rain (I live in Brisbane btw) and my passenger (short?) axel somehow stopped spinning. I think the splines have twisted to a point that they don’t work or have sheered off. I managed to drive it home as the drivers side wheel still spun and now it’s sitting in the front driveway. My question is how hard is it to pull the busted axel out and put a new one in, and if I do it will it leak oil?

I’m thinking that installing the new one would be a bugger cause I will have to line up the splines with the minispools teeth and I have heard that you need to get a specific machine to put the axel in or it will leak.

If it’s a job for the professionals does anyone know of a diff shop that will work on a minispooled car because the few I have contacted in the past tell me they will only work on the diff once its out the car and I have had my fill of changing diffs for a while (this is the fifth time I’ve broken a diff). Anyway any information/advice you may have would be great.

Cheers Pat.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Easy as. Jack up, remove wheel, remove brake caliper and disc. There's 4 bolts on the back holding the axle in. Take them off. It'll be hard as hell to get off so get an old brake disc, bolt it on to the studs backwards and belt it off with a hammer (hence using an old one). Axle should pull out, hopefully in one piece. If not, you've made a bigger mess of it and the diff will have to be pulled apart.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
BlOWN-EA

I manage to get my snapped off splines out with a magnet.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
catfood

Thanks Psycho and Blown getting it out sounds simple enough, how bout putting it in? Does the new axel just slip in or does it need a tap or two? And does it leak if I just wack the newone in and do it up?
Old 06-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Should slip in fairly easy, might have to tap it a bit. If it doesn't go in easily I'd say you've stuffed something. Spools have a habit of doing that.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
xxxc
tuff

an easier way to get the old axal of would be to put a stockie wheel on backwards and pull side to side as hard as you can ,as they are a ***** to come out -even worse in your case.
xxxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
catfood

Thanks for the info blokes I finally got round to looking at it today. The axel had sheered off leaving the splines stuck in the mini-spool. Talk about dramas. Managed to get it out by removing the long axel, grinding some steel to the right width and poking it out. Twice the work I originally anticipated but better than opening up the center .

Cheers Pat.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work mate. Did you get the new axle in with no dramas?
Old 13-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
catfood

yep just slid in, so far so good too. I am gonna take it easy till I can get a decient LSD, I busted the gears on my last one, but it was out of an old EA. I want to get a XR8 ED LSD cause I think they may be 4 pinion instead of two and will defiantly be 28 spline.