Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
diesel17
Starter Motor

Default power steering rack leaking

I have a 2001 au2, I got it serviced at the local Ford dealer. They told me it needs a new power steering rack and tie rod end boots are split. I check my car every sunday and I have never had to put power steering fluid into it, there are no marks anywhere on my driveway! They then quoted me:

Steering rack $570

tie rod boots $112

Wheel align. $40

Labour $130

TOTAL $852.00

I can get a 2nd hand steering rack from a au2 thats only done 39,000kms for $195.00 and the local mechanic to fit it and wheel alignment $80 for a total of $275.

Or do I get a second opinion on the faults by some one else before I do anything?

I would welcome some opinions on what I should do!

Thanks Diesel

diesel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

If its not leaking, check the rack boots to see if they have fluid in them. Usually you will be able to feel the fluid just by giving them a squeeze. If there's no fluid there then it would appear to be ok.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Ive got the same thing happening in my 2001 AU2. One day ill fix it.... promise.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey wasnt there a recall for the racks on the auII????????? mine got changed for free.
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Ive got the same thing happening in my 2001 AU2. One day ill fix it.... promise.
lol, Pedders told me mine was rooted about 3 years ago....I too will get it fixed one day ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
scorpio39

Default Leaking steering rack

My Au 1 commenced weeping 18 months ago. I topped up the reservoir with steering & transmission sealer. No problems since.
scorpio39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
hey wasnt there a recall for the racks on the auII????????? mine got changed for free.
AUI - AUII between certain periods. Mine is outside of that period.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think the recall was actually a stud on the rack that needed welding ... not a replacement rack.

The recall was for early AUIIs and previous ... can't remember the month though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I went into a local ford dealer for the recall and my steering rack leakt all over my stencilling at home.When I took it back they insisted it was not their fault.Got quoted 560 dollars.

If you are in Sydney I highly recommend WESTERN STEERING AT SEVEN HILLS. These guys gave me a great price and service.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when it leaks it just stays on the rack and not in the ground.. i am gtting mine changed in my auII 2001 ute on tuesday.
Its going to cost 570 all up with labour and wheel alignment.
on the same day i am also getting a cooler for my tranny.. its burning the oil too fast and its too hot. thats another 220 fitted.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
Autocade

My AU2 went in for the recall work and got rack replaced
I am new here congratulations you have a fantastic forum
I wish I found you sooner
Keep up the great work
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
Nik

we had a lot of dramas with ours leeking ,and turned out it was just the powersteer switch/sensor was stuffed and fluid was leeking out of it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #13
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
when it leaks it just stays on the rack and not in the ground.. i am gtting mine changed in my auII 2001 ute on tuesday.
Its going to cost 570 all up with labour and wheel alignment.
on the same day i am also getting a cooler for my tranny.. its burning the oil too fast and its too hot. thats another 220 fitted.
Its a fair amount of cash for what is esentially a broken 45 cent gasket or two.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 16-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #14
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just got mine fixed and its f**ken great!!! it actually drives in a straight line now and i dont get clunking noises..
as for the transcooler, you can hear the oil getting pumped to it and because the cooler in my radiator wasn't working at all.. i am noticing a lot more power out of it when taking off and just general gear changes... all up it was 770 with Johnnie's GST and i could not be happier!!

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Old 18-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
diesel17
Starter Motor

I have got my power steering rack fixed.
Power steering rack (complete unit) of 2001 au2 that had done 39000 k's $195
Labour to replace steering rack $60
Wheel alignment $35
Transmission fluid $7
GST 10.20
Total $307-20
Compare that to my quote from Ford $852.00 (plus GST) another $85.20
$630.20 I have saved!

I found this site by accident doing a search, this was my first post on here and thank all for their responses. This site is fantastic, I reckon I have just about read every single topic and post on here in the last week!
Thanks Diesel
diesel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #16
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just a question, do a lot of you guys with AU falcons suffer from this problem???
is it a common problem with the AU?

Old 18-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
just a question, do a lot of you guys with AU falcons suffer from this problem???
is it a common problem with the AU?
Its as much a problem with the AU as it is with every other falcon model :togo:
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #18
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

okay... i was just wondering... i guess it is just a ford thing.

Old 19-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #19
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is also leaking, but only onto the rubber boot things. My mechanic told me i can leave it till my next service, but it looks like a few of you guys have gone on a lot longer than that. should i be worried and do something about it before it gets too late? at the moment its only a slow weep i think, no fluid on the ground.
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post