Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
92ea
Starter Motor

Default considering

Gday,
Im considering buying a mates 92 ea falcon, but im not sure if this is a good thing to do, dont know if this model is a lemon or not???
i was told that this model car has been known to have some issues, but again im not sure if this is true or not???
the car has recently had a new head & gasket put on & has been running for the last 1000 k's without any problems, it runs on LPG but never was a cab.
im not sure if ive placed this in the right forum, sorry if i have, thanks in advance for your interest & replies

92ea is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it must be a eb if its a 92
Old 15-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure its the 4lt version. I reckoin its a better engine and i think it also had less troubles than the 3.9 (correct me if i'm wrong). But head gaskets are common on these models. Which model was it that it is believed that the problem of the head gasket was fixed, AU or BA?
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
BuuBox

The headgasket issue is ... overrated to say the least. Sure, it's a problem, but if the rest of the cooling system is kept up to scratch, it'll last more than the rule of 100,000kms. The 3.9 is the same engine as the 4.0, with some minor revisions to make it smoother and more powerful. Personally, I'd make sure it's a 4.0 litre EB2, but that said I'm driving a EB1 Fairmont that's done nearly 300,000kms on it's original headgasket. I'm not even running proper coolant, sick of seeing it's green goodness run down the driveway when I do anything like change the thermostat... :P

To put that into prespective, the family Camry V6 blew a head gasket @ 120,000kms, and trust me, the Ford i6 headgasket replacement is a (cheap) breeze compared to the horrible expensive storm of the Camry.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
HOON69
Banned

best bet is that its a 91 ea

make sure its not a cfi carby fed crap injection and a mpfi multi point fuel injection

also make sure gbox etc is running fine
check the oil colour etc and water colour
check the k's its done

and if its indeed a eb it'll have a 4litre and would be the more ideal vehicle
as for that model 92 model i wouldnt pay anymore then 2500 for a really nice one or if its average about a grand...

some car yards are selling 300,000klm ef's for 2500 ere in qld so dont wasre your money on a ea if theres something better out there,if its a 5-600 dollar job i'd buy it though ;)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

pop the bonnet, if it looks like a star wars creature with a plastic pipe coming of a space ship, stay away!
Old 19-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
dvk
running from explosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
The headgasket issue is ... overrated to say the least. Sure, it's a problem, but if the rest of the cooling system is kept up to scratch, it'll last more than the rule of 100,000kms. The 3.9 is the same engine as the 4.0, with some minor revisions to make it smoother and more powerful. Personally, I'd make sure it's a 4.0 litre EB2, but that said I'm driving a EB1 Fairmont that's done nearly 300,000kms on it's original headgasket. I'm not even running proper coolant, sick of seeing it's green goodness run down the driveway when I do anything like change the thermostat... :P

To put that into prespective, the family Camry V6 blew a head gasket @ 120,000kms, and trust me, the Ford i6 headgasket replacement is a (cheap) breeze compared to the horrible expensive storm of the Camry.
Agreed. If the cooling system is maintained properly, it should give much more than the 100 000km. Closer to 3 or 4 hundred thou. The thing is, they are just less forgiving when the system is neglected, hence the number of falcons with blown head gaskets.
dvk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Damo
Banned

Yeah I agree with the headgasket blowing issue being blown out of proportion. My Mum bought the EA I currently own in 96' with 250,000 on the clock, it's now well past 400,000 and no signs of headgasket or anything motor runs smooth as. My mum didn't even have the car serviced in the 4 or so years she drove it apart from the transmission. So yeah i'd say go for it, espicaially if it's an EB2 they had soo many improvements, just little things but it made for a much better/smoother car.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post