Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #31
MAV50L
Banned

Default Re: Advice about Hiluxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes
I just found a 2003 BA 6cyl ute auto dedicated gas for only $6200, very tempting but I'm very suspicious at why it's so cheap. These normally sell for more than that eh?

Thats about normal price. If not a little high.
If you get a Lux you be paying a premium due to the badge. Yes they have good reslae value but you have to pay for that as well.
Otherwise you will be forking out for an underspecced , overpriced vehicle with ordinary fuel economy.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #32
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Nearly 240k, fair few kays for a 2003 model I guess, but surely that wouldn't bring the value down alone??
No but the fact its a BA and there has now been BF and FG since does. It sounds about right in terms of price.

I have 2 Hiluxes in my fleet at work, one is an 02 model and one is my regular ute which is an 05 model. Both are auto, both V6 petrol and both have required full engine replacements. DO NOT buy one unless it has a full and reliable service history, if they arent serviced right they go to crap real quick.

The 02 model interior feels and looks straight out of 1985 but the 05 is my regular drive car and it is a much nicer place to be.

Other than that my 05 is bulletproof, it puts up with a lot of rough work and still keeps on going.
Old 24-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #33
gaz084
F1D procharged ute

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: With the amount of detail Gareth has put into his BF heat exchanger by-pass modification ... and also his work on his supercharged BA EGAS build thread has been a help to many on this forum when it comes to DIY inginuity. 

I have had a 2004 ba Egas and a 1985 hilux diesel....the Egas is much better in everyway.The great thing about the hilux is if it has problems it will keep on going for ages before you have to fix it,the Egas has only broken
Down once in 150k thow.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283622
gaz084 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
The point is that with a Hilux you can go a lot of places a low-slung Falcon ute won't...and the Falcon doesn't have a solid full chassis. Mix in the rego savings of a four over a six and the amazing level of knowledge about modifications and fixes for Hiluxes anywhere you go in the country and it starts to make a lot of sense.
Good points
But the falcon will have a bigger payload than the hilux
The rego savings arent that great in the overall picture
Full chassis utes are good if ya use them for serious loads and towing alot,general weekend prunings to the dump ,anything will do
Even if i was after just a ute as a ute (not to tow loads like the patrol ute) i still wouldnt buy a 4 pot ute
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #35
LightningStrike

I was shopping in a similar price range for similar circumstances (needed a ute to do actual work with including tip runs, something I would never do with my FG) and ended up with an AU series 2 egas manual, canopy, racks, 1 tonne susp. and HD towpack. It owes me about 4k after regoing and a big cleanup.

In comparison, my neighbour just offloaded a neat looking white 92 Hilux 2wd extra cab auto with chrome bumpers and 18s for $5.5k.
This thing had 340,000ks!!!

If my money stretched I would have been in a BA or BF for not much more, but I wanted to get something I would not be tempted to do up. Best of luck!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Hilux with 340,000km on the clock? Poor old thing probably only has another half a million kilometers left in it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #37
LightningStrike

True......hence it didn't hang around!

Interesting to see how well even late '80's Hiluxes sell compared to Tritons/Navaras/Rodeos of the same age. Their resale can't all be based on folklore - can it?

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
A lpg Falcon will murder it for economy.
ya.
this.
Old 24-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #39
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrike

Interesting to see how well even late '80's Hiluxes sell compared to Tritons/Navaras/Rodeos of the same age. Their resale can't all be based on folklore - can it?
Pay for the badge ,im afraid
Same as comparing patrols to cruisers,same year and Ks cruiser will always get more
I sold my hilux for 2 grand (paid less),mate who owns it now, hasnt touched it other than services for a few years now, his only major expense in that time was under $100 for a backyard white respray
But he does take to his motorbike to work 4 days a week
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #40
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

I've got an '85 Hilux diesel, and it's very good for what it is. From my experience with them, they are great trucks and very, very reliable. Mine's got over 330,000kms on the original motor and gearbox and still going strong. The diesels can be quite sluggish (hence mine being called 'The Slug') but they are great utes. For the era your looking at they shouldn't be over $10,000 (depending on the kms and condition.)

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #41
mistermxer

Quote:
Nearly 240k, fair few kays for a 2003 model I guess, but surely that wouldn't bring the value down alone??
that would do exactly that....

mistermxer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #42
Gman_86_xr6

I would not bother with a petrol 4x2 hilux, they ARE gutless, they ARE thirsty, and compared to a Falcon (or Commodore for that matter) the suspension is terrible. Remember, a Hilux is a truck, a Falcon is a ute, one was built to be comfortable AND capable, one was built just to be capable.

You are also better off with an AUII or AUIII over a BA, AUs are as reliable as a Hilux, and run very well on gas. BAs aren't quite as reliable, and the interior plastics are of a lower quality. Also if you go for an AU over a BA, you will get better condition and lower kms for the same money.
Gman_86_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #43
mistermxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
A Hilux with 340,000km on the clock? Poor old thing probably only has another half a million kilometers left in it...
i've seen a hilux 4x4 (fairly old) with 150,000(ish) kays on the clock. old mate told me it's the second time he has seen that figure.

Old 24-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #44
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, id be going with a AU on gas, ive had a 93 hilux, diesel 4x4 though, and god, driving my car than hilux over and over again it felt like hoping in a ferrari after the hilux
Old 25-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #45
Brodes
Brodes

Excellent info, thanks everyone. It's helped me change my mind, I'll be looking for an AU-BA ute on gas now, same price I was looking at paying (if not cheaper), better & more practical all round. I'll keep yas posted on the hunt results :-)
Old 25-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #46
mistermxer

on ya !

Old 27-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #47
Brodes
Brodes

Thumbs up Re: Advice about Hiluxs

Ok I know it's been a while but I finally got myself a ute....Not quite was I was aiming for but I don't care too much when it's free :-D

It's my old mans old ute, he was gunna get rid of it and offered it to me for nothing. It's done a good job so far. Little heavy on the juice but I knew what to expect from an auto 250 X-flow. This'll do me until I decide to buy a newer ute.

Old 27-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #48
ZDLANE
Starter Motor

i got a 2000 hilux 3 litre diesel brought it at 30000k have now done 420000k,not one thing has every gone wrong with it,changed timing belt,tyres changed oil every 5000k,thing uses stuff all fuel like running a lawnmower,not very comfortable,not very fast but for a a to b car its great
ZDLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #49
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman_86_xr6
I would not bother with a petrol 4x2 hilux, they ARE gutless, they ARE thirsty, and compared to a Falcon (or Commodore for that matter) the suspension is terrible. Remember, a Hilux is a truck, a Falcon is a ute, one was built to be comfortable AND capable, one was built just to be capable.

You are also better off with an AUII or AUIII over a BA, AUs are as reliable as a Hilux, and run very well on gas. BAs aren't quite as reliable, and the interior plastics are of a lower quality. Also if you go for an AU over a BA, you will get better condition and lower kms for the same money.
I agree they chew heaps of bloody fuel!!! I'd go AU over a petrol hilux. I wouldnt say all the petrol hiluxs where gutless thou. I reckon the V6 petrol motor would give a stocko AU 6 cylinder ute a run for its money.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #50
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok I know it's been a while but I finally got myself a ute....Not quite was I was aiming for but I don't care too much when it's free :-D

It's my old mans old ute, he was gunna get rid of it and offered it to me for nothing. It's done a good job so far. Little heavy on the juice but I knew what to expect from an auto 250 X-flow. This'll do me until I decide to buy a newer ute.

Awesome. Free is always good, and those XFs are damn near indestructible.

For the record, Hiluxs are overpriced beyond belief, predominately due to the “Toyota Only” policy of many large fleets. Yes, they probably are better and more reliable, but not THAT much better.
Some companies now are revising those policies and switching to cheaper vehicles that are otherwise comparable. Ford rangers are increasingly popular as they are generally cheaper than their Mazda cousins.
Also Izuzu are making inroads.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post