Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default High(ish) Subaru WRX

Hi all,

Just seeing if anyone knows much about earlier model WRX's (95-99) and if looking at a well maintained vehicle (full log book) in a manual with around 100-150k is worth the trouble? It would be nice if people who have actually owned something similar comment.

barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: High(ish) Subaru WRX

A mate has an rx in that time frame. its on around 250 k now. he tows with it. its an auto. and from what he has told me it runs great. but because he uses it to tow it did a big end bearing and so he put a new motor in. but no rust economical enough. its has a bit of poke and everything works on it. so yeah don't but one with a tow bar lol

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I just sold my MY99 with 230K on the clock. I had it for about 11 years. My wife has a MY01 WRX still with about 185K on the clock.

Personally I'd go for a 99 model and it got the quicker engine, bigger brakes, better looking front end, bigger rear spoiler etc.

As long as it has been maintained well, they go forever.

My wife's car is midly modified but mine had lots of bolt on mods. It also had a straight cut gearbox. Now that was noisy
Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks superfly, great info, was it expensive to maintain, or similar to most cars these days?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Nice cheap way to go fast and be economical at the same time.

If they've survived this long (15 odd years) without being modded/thrashed/drifted/fullysik then they're probably a decent car to look at!

When I say Cheap - here is 3 quick examples
1) $18,000 (which almost sounds too cheap) for an STI
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...&cr=0&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 1216&silo=Stock&find=1997 wrx|CarAll
2) $12,600 with 138k no modifications
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...&cr=2&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 1216&silo=Stock&find=1997 wrx|CarAll
3) $12,000 with 75k no modifications
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...&cr=4&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 1216&silo=Stock&find=1997 wrx|CarAll

For the money - hard to find something that would be as nimble, economical, and fun to drive!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
superfly
Go the Hogster!

It wasn't too bad but being so old, things were needing replacing from time to time. As mine was modified some things like the gearbox broke as well. Clutches were around $1K fitted.

The 50K service was around $700 and the 100K service was around $1000. I didn't use Subaru to service my cars though.

If you are looking at any online, post up a link and I'll have a look for you.

To give you an idea, I sold my car for $13250 which was at the higher end of the price range but mine included a new engine, all the mods including the PPG straight cut gearbox. Engine was replaced due to water damage.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
1) $18,000 (which almost sounds too cheap) for an STI
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...&cr=0&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 1216&silo=Stock&find=1997 wrx|CarAll
Nice find. This car would have been a personal import as these were not sold in Australia. The first ADM STi was the MY99 STi. This JDM car doesn't have ABS. With the MY99 STi's they came with ABS but missed out on the waterspray.

Just note that the brakes are not made by Brembo and that the rear calipers are not 2 pots. The 2 pot rear brakes first appeared on the MY01's.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a 99 wrx and a 99 gt forester both cars were fanastic great handling reliable and plenty of poke for the street my forester was standard but the wrx I had it had IC,exhaust coldair intake and computer upgrade was a great reliable little cat but got hassled by the cops for being too loud also goan epa once.

But both cars were fantastic and I really regret selling the forester it was a great car
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
It wasn't too bad but being so old, things were needing replacing from time to time. As mine was modified some things like the gearbox broke as well. Clutches were around $1K fitted.

The 50K service was around $700 and the 100K service was around $1000. I didn't use Subaru to service my cars though.

If you are looking at any online, post up a link and I'll have a look for you.

To give you an idea, I sold my car for $13250 which was at the higher end of the price range but mine included a new engine, all the mods including the PPG straight cut gearbox. Engine was replaced due to water damage.
Thank you for the offer. I need to sell my car first and want to down grade once it is gone. I'm used to a turbo now and I don't think I can go without it! I've always liked the WRX but I was too young to affort it years ago. Just tossing up a few ideas and these have come into the group of cars I'll look at as a 6 cylinder won't do. 4 turbos all the way for me!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
superfly
Go the Hogster!

They are a great car. I went the opposite to you, I'm now in a n/a 6cyl. I needed a bigger car and after driving a quick car for the last 15 years (first a Liberty RS and then the WRX) I wanted something quiet, sedate, comfortable and reasonably quick.

It's funny that the XR50 is as quick as what the Liberty RS was 0-100kph.

My wife doesn't want to give up her Subaru though.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I don't need a bigger car, 2 more doors would be nice though!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
XR8_ash
2 wheel pilot, V8 novice.

I had the GT Forester. Awesome car !!! Went so well and nothing comes close to the turbo flat four rumble.... Easy car to work on and so EASY to extract power from. Mine only had a few tweaks so it went well and had great fuel economy.
XR8_ash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Had a mate with a 98 I think WRX. 5 speed. This thing hammered for stock. Had an exhaust but that was it. Pulled away from 5.7L quite easy.
No rust as all. Solid car, no rattles or squeeks. Handled like a cat made my300ZX TT like a damn vessel around corners.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have a JDM 94 WRX auto and from new 07 WRX.. If serviced they are very reliable...
My JDM [jap domestic market] has ABS,,, Recently fitted 96 WRX brakes and rebuilt forged 96 STI engine at 220,000 klrs..The old engine was sold as runner.. With 17"s and stiffer rear Whiteline sway bar which takes away most under-steer they handle very well.. With reasonable comfort...
If you hear of any faults ?? It's mainly through abuse ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Motorbreath310

Alot of higher km ones getting around with few complaints from owners. The GC8's are a well built car for their age and are fun to drive. Only thing I don't like about Subaru's that I've driven (mostly stock) is there is zero clutch feel and eff all low down torque. And the NA's are complete shockers they feel incredibly gutless.

Get one with evidence of cambelt and water pump changes and watch for oil leaks around rocker cover gaskets.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310
Alot of higher km ones getting around with few complaints from owners. The GC8's are a well built car for their age and are fun to drive. Only thing I don't like about Subaru's that I've driven (mostly stock) is there is zero clutch feel and eff all low down torque. And the NA's are complete shockers they feel incredibly gutless.

Get one with evidence of cambelt and water pump changes and watch for oil leaks around rocker cover gaskets.
What do you mean by zero clutch feel? My MY99 was on its fourth clutch when I sold it but my wife's MY01 is still on the stock clutch at 185K! It feels heavier than what mine ever did but I'm astounded it's still the stock one.

Yeah these cars need to be launched if you want to beat everyone. Especially with a bigger turbo fitted.

The rocker covers do leak from time to time. I had to replace mine a few times and I think I've done it once on the MY01.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310
Rocker cover gasket's 'pfft', it's rear main seals you need to look out for on Subaru, and the gearbox, especially if it's been driven hard. Other than that the motors while last ages if you look after them, unlike others, *cough honda*.
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #18
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
If you think about crash safety at all, then you must have a MY01 or newer. (The previous models are like driving around in a tin can in comparison)

I agree with what is said above. The 5-speed manual gear boxes are weak if engine is tuned and driven actively over time. Listen for noises before purchasing.
Engines are good, but as mentioned fails the big end bearings in some circumstances. Probably related to active driving too.

Subaru is one of the friendliest cars to repair. Very quick to do many service jobs, however with 4WD etc, there are more oil seals, oil levels, driveshafts etc than a 2wd.
Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post