Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
t08
F6-557

Default Servicing ??

What are the benefits from getting the car serviced by the dealer then doing it yourself ?.

t08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
4ford

Default Re: Servicing ??

Seriously....there are none!
I'm assuming here that the owner has sufficient mechanical knowledge and experience to do the work himself...

For me, other than wheel alignments, my AUII Fairmont6 has not seen the inside of a mechanical workshop since I've owned it, and that was SEP03.

I've had too many bad/incompetent experiences in earlier years to ever go there again!

Even with the alignments, I am right there to watch every move, and ask questions.

The car before this current one, a BMW320i, put me in a position where I had to get it dealer serviced or it would depreciate it's value on resale, not having exclusively BMW stamps in the service book. And the BMW dealers really knew how to charge, to the extent that I decided to sell the car because of the over-the-top servicing charges.
Great car, hated the dealer!

The AU is up to 188,000 kms and running great, and I fully intend to continue servicing it fully myself, + brakes/disc changes + master cylinder changes + radiator/pwr steer pump/alternator that I've already done.

Cheers...
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably very few but when I buy a car I look for the dealership/workshop service stamp as proof that it has been done to a theoretical standard and not by some back yarder who may/may not take shortcuts

having said that I then proceed to do all my servicing myself

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

There's not too many "service" jobs that any competent spanner thrower can't do at home and quite a few of the non service jobs too short of drive train removal and ECU diagnostics and with the right gear some guys can do that too. Since my warranty ran out I've done 95% of the work on both our cars at home from ancillaries replacements to disc brake upgrades to shock and spring replacements. It's not too hard if you have the right gear.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
nat75

Back before the days of internet and forums, the advantage was the dealerships "knowledge" and other little things like diagnosing problems. But now days, there is next to no reason to take an car to a dealer, short of warranty work.
nat75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Try to find a mechanic shop who's willing to employ a dealer-"trained" mechanic.......
Stay well away from any that will!
Old 17-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ford
For me, other than wheel alignments...

Even with the alignments, I am right there to watch every move, and ask questions.
I don't blame you, most wheel alignment guys are useless.

Just recently I had a discussion with an imbecile (who claims they're a professional aligner), who insisted that AU's have radius rods.
Go figure.

I've been doing my own alignments for more than 20 years.
Old 17-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Servicing ??

I reckon the AU is a wonderful vehicle to help people grow in mechanical competency. It's simple and strong enough not to break or muck up (too easily) and allows you to start simple and progress to the more difficult tasks.

There are heaps of "how to" articles here, most with pictures which take the reader step by step through many useful processes.

I personally am in awe of many here who almost do absolutely everything on their cars. Sox for example, who even does his own alignments, wow, that boggles my somewhat simple mind.

Myself, I do as much as i reasonably can, gain advice and where possible physical help from other guys here and my other mates, and have a good and trusted mechanic or three (one for lpg, one general and a transmission joint) for the things I know I cannot, or shouldn't do!

Works for me and saves me cash, giving me the satisfaction that I'm able (and not afraid) to have a red hot go myself.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

None really, i dont even have my new car serviced at a dealer.
Old 17-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I reckon the AU is a wonderful vehicle to help people grow in mechanical competency. It's simple and strong enough not to break or muck up (too easily) and allows you to start simple and progress to the more difficult tasks.
Very true, the AU is a snap to maintain, most things have easy access, easy parts supply, cheap, etc.
Quote:
I personally am in awe of many here who almost do absolutely everything on their cars. Sox for example, who even does his own alignments, wow, that boggles my somewhat simple mind.
Alignments are surprisingly simple to do.
What makes most people shy away from it is the complexity of the machine which workshops use, yet you can get by without it.
A stringline, spirit level, a good eye, and some patience, can replicate a 20k machine.
The hardest thing to measure is castor, and with experience you'll get that right by feel.
Quote:
Myself, I do as much as i reasonably can, gain advice and where possible physical help from other guys here and my other mates, and have a good and trusted mechanic or three (one for lpg, one general and a transmission joint) for the things I know I cannot, or shouldn't do!

Works for me and saves me cash, giving me the satisfaction that I'm able (and not afraid) to have a red hot go myself.
It's a good feeling knowing you can do an equal or even better job than the monkey who's getting paid $100 an hour.
Old 17-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink Re: Servicing ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Very true, the AU is a snap to maintain, most things have easy access, easy parts supply, cheap, etc.

What makes most people shy away from it is the complexity of the machine which workshops use, yet you can get by without it.
A stringline, spirit level, a good eye, and some patience, can replicate a 20k machine.
The hardest thing to measure is castor, and with experience you'll get that right by feel.

It's a good feeling knowing you can do an equal or even better job than the monkey who's getting paid $100 an hour.
Darn shame you live so far away from me Sox!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we used to do the tow in/out alignment with an extendable stick, castor and camber was done by measuring from the top of inside of the wheel arch to the tyre and from bottom of tyre to bottom of other tyre

wheel balances were done on a balancing doohickey with a bulls eye level on the top

ah! they were the days.... .50c per hour and use the workshop as much as you like after hours provided you locked up afterwards

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I'm with Sox and GK. I have found one good alignment place in Syd and one transmission guy that does a great job. I was left disappointed everyhere else I went. The worst treatment was when I had a company car - they must see them coming from a mile away!..lol

Over the years, however I have resorted to doing my own alignments, originally to save money, but I found no one ever bothered about getting the steering wheel straight.

These days I have had the camber and castor set with a shim kit and only do the toe adjustment with 2 car stands and a piece of builders string.
Sox, would you mind sharing how you measure your castor and camber. I understand that it is just a distance measurement with some trigonometry to get the final figure, but do you have access to a completely level surface, or have measured everything up with a water level? Just curious. My garage floor is not completely level to allow for drainage, so I haven't bothered with trying do camber and castor.
Maybe I am showing my age - still under 40, but I learnt on an old XC and an XE. I agree though, the AU is great for getting into the whole repair thing - plenty of room to move around.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni
but I found no one ever bothered about getting the steering wheel straight.
And the ones who do bother, can't seem to get it right anyhow.
Quote:
These days I have had the camber and castor set with a shim kit and only do the toe adjustment with 2 car stands and a piece of builders string.
Sox, would you mind sharing how you measure your castor and camber. I understand that it is just a distance measurement with some trigonometry to get the final figure, but do you have access to a completely level surface, or have measured everything up with a water level? Just curious. My garage floor is not completely level to allow for drainage, so I haven't bothered with trying do camber and castor.
A spirit level and protractor will give you camber and castor measurements.
I do it mostly by feel these days.
Yes, it's very critical to have a level surface.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a mechanic thats getting paid $100 and hour but i agree with everything else you said

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_6falcon
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a mechanic thats getting paid $100 and hour but i agree with everything else you said
Fair enough, the monkey isn't getting $100/h, but the workshop rate will be around that.