Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

Default Rotor button not turning in ED 6

well as in my other post the car died when driving it home from the shops.

so i checked to see if the rotor button was turning and it isnt ,so what does that mean ,whats broken ??
recently changed cam and fixed an oil leak ,a week later oil leak came back cause we didnt use the right gasket,so off the head came again and fitted new gasket,put it all back together ,cleaned it up and let it sit for about 10 mins ideling in the drive way

took it down the shops and drove it home ,not thrashing it or anything ,car started hesitating and made a pop sound ,pulled car over ,rocker cover gasket got blown out and now car wont start ,
so i changed the coil ,still no go,changed the dizzy still no go ,so i checked to see if the rotor button was moving and it wasnt ,so what could that mean,could of the timing chain slipped and stuff something ??

how much is a brand new engine ,or recon,or a wreckers job ,

will an EL engine fit in ,whats involved in putting one in

cheers jarrod

TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it could be the drive shaft driven by the timing chain.

it may have snapped.
Old 27-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

i put a brand new distributor in it already ,still wont fire,rotor button still wont turn
TUNED BY JEM
Old 27-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Take rocker cover off I suspect timing chain issues ???Don't try to start you may bend some valves!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the auxiliary shaft is whats gone i think..
Old 27-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah what he said is a possibility as well,,
Old 27-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

I dare say you've busted the aux shaft...or the bolt has come loose on the timing gear end.....i've had that happen before.
Old 27-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

As EBXR8240 has said proceed with caution unless you wish to pull head off completely.
Tis a bit strange that it's blown rocker cover gasket out, sounds like it could be something a little more serious inside the head itself. I'd be lifting the rocker cover off & checking for anything obvious up top of head. Check timing chain is connected, & tensioner is operational. If rocker cover gasket has blown out rocker cover has got pressurised.
If nothing is obvious on the top end of head & timing chain is fine do a compression check & see what shows there(having blown out rocker cover gasket I'll hazard a guess & say that compression will be suspect on one cylinder at least.)
If all is fine there check aux shaft. To check aux shaft, with the dizzy out, check for teeth on the auxilliary shaft where the dizzy gear should mesh. Put finger down hole where dizzy goes & feel for teeth on engine side of hole. I can't imagine you shearing one of these shafts apart, more likely to strip the teeth off it (tis relatively common - & a bit of a pain job to do.)

Last edited by wulos; 27-12-2005 at 09:01 PM.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

I reckon u might not of set chain tensioner correctly... may of been fully stuck out, and its been done up, this puts to much chain tension on the AUX shaft, the aux shaft doesnt have bearings, if the chains to tight the shaft binds up on the block and welds its self to the engine, the gear at the front snaps...

HEy are the valves moving, it could be the key way on the lower gear has fallen out, and the lower gear is just spinning on the crank
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

ok i just took the rocker cover off ,the chain seems in tact i pulled on it and didnt move ,but i did notice this

not sure if its surpose to be like that ,im pretty sure it isnt
TUNED BY JEM
Old 28-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

either it's snapped or the bolts has come undone,but seen as theres no further damage i'd sugest the aux shaft is stuffed..
Old 28-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
NZ
~~~

it shouldnt be on that angle mate. I'm not real familiar with the 6cyl. you might need to take off the timing cover to confirm the damage
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
EFFalcon
Last warning

the aux shaft gear should be alligned with the cam gear, and be dead straight.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

thats what i thought,it looks pretty stuffed ,so if it is snapped or broken or what ever ,what would it have dodne to the rest of the engine ,i know its hard to say
TUNED BY JEM
Old 28-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #15
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Ive only just gone through replacing the aux shaft on an EL....
Teeth were worn through on it.
Can you feel the gear through the hole the dizzy sits in??
What you need to do is remove the timing case cover on front of block. Depending upon precise anciliary mounts you may need to remove power steering mounts, alternator, & poss air con mounting brackets, as well as the idler pulley assemblies(basically whatever is bolted on that'll prevent you removing the timing cover)
You'll also need to remove fan(s), either clutch fan & shroud or electric fans to give you room to play. You can get away with replacing the aux shaft with radiator inplace but it can be a bit tight.
With the front of the motor stripped, you'll need to remove the harmonic off the crank(sometimes you may find this takes a bit of persuasion - can be glued onto crank)
You'll need to remove the timing chain tensioner here(I dare say you're already wisened up as to how this is done - be warned you CAN break these easily if you force things)
You can either struggle to pry the timing case cover off at this time or lower the sump to give yourself more room to play. remove the bolt holding the pulley on the front of the aux shaft. Behind the pulley will be a retaining bracket with 2 bolts, then the shaft should come out.
Parts I used 2x side timing case gaskets(top seal was fine as was the sump gasket), front crankshaft seal, aux shaft, joint silicon, & various other odd bits/lubricants...& a S***load of patience. hehehe not that difficult a job, but it is time consuming, & at times somewhat tedious(I dont have a lot of patience).
Old 28-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #16
wulos
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTY
thats what i thought,it looks pretty stuffed ,so if it is snapped or broken or what ever ,what would it have dodne to the rest of the engine ,i know its hard to say
If it is just that pulley thats shifted sideways & only effected the aux shaft then not much(apart from stopping the car from running)
If it's completely let go of the timing chain (timing chain skipped teeth etc) then the valve timing may have been stuffed up in relation to crank(poss valve collide with pistons) Tis hard to say.
just noticed I didnt put reassembly details on above post - tis almost reverse procedure. need to remember to check all alignment marks match up as per spec. Tis fairly straght forward.
Old 28-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #17
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
(I dont have a lot of patience).
Its evem more rewarding when you get it done when you have little patience I reckon. But dont dare anyone come around when I have tools in my hand lol.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 11:28 PM   #18
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

If thats how the aux shaft is sitting... Id be thinking rip the front cover of... ANd hopefully u can remove the shaft from the block.. it may of fuesed its self in and snaped the front of the shaft allowing the gear to sit on an angle
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #19
BlOWN-EA

what injected250 said, you will find the timing chain tensioner was incorrectly fitted and has caused the tension on the chain to snap off the oil pump gear, to of done this the aux shaft will be jammed in the block, seen it plenty of times, you gotta be carefull with those tempramental tensioners. put it this way new engine.
Old 29-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #20
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

to change the head gasket,do you have to touch the timing chain tensioner? just wondering
TUNED BY JEM
Old 29-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #21
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you sure do
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post