Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
sooty43

Default au 1 temp sensor removal.

Got cooling fan problem and going to start with new temp sensor. Is it a difficult job to replace it ?

sooty43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
AUFanboy

Default Re: au 1 temp sensor removal.

It looks like it would be a pain. Start with the relays, much easier and more likely to go wrong. The dash gauge and the ECU both read the same sensor, so if your temp gauge is working normally then the sensor should be right.
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
sooty43

That leads me to believe it could b the sensor because the temp gauge has never passed
N since I bought it 13 years ago even when its boiling.
Old 23-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
sooty43

Is there a way of replaceing the water temp sensor without pulling out the auto trans?
Old 23-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

You wont need to remove the transmission. It is in the back of the cylinder head on the drives side.
The real difficulty is just unplugging the sensor cause of where it is. Once unplugged you can just use an open wrench to get it out.
I am also assuming this is a 6cyl?
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
sooty43

Thanks for the advice Evgeni. You are right about the unplugging as the lock tab is on the opposite side out of sight and touch. I will try to undo it half a turn and then unplug the fitting and then unscrew the sensor. btw, a taxi mechanic told me the tranny had to be moved back.
Old 24-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Probably worst case scenario, you will need to take the rocker cover off which will give you some more room.
Just make sure you get it diagnosed properly if you are going to the trouble of replacing it. Last time I checked, new ones were around $150. Wreckers were selling them for around $30.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post