Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
nevetsg

Default Oil leaking from intercooler. TDCI

Hi

Wife call me this morning saying that we were leaking oil near the front of the car. I got her to check the level and it was OK so she said she would drop by a mechanic. He discovered that it was leaking from one of the seals for the intercooler and refereed us to Diesel experts near by.

Now, my googleing just now suggests that some is OK/normal and maybe I just have to clean it out and see if it builds back up again. However, Lots of oil could be the turbo seals on the way out. I was thinking option 1 and keep an eye on it.
The car has done about 122,000Km.

Thoughts, ideas, expert advice?

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Oil leaking from intercooler. TDCI

you will get a fair amount of oil from the PCV

You can install a catch can (e.g. provent 200) which will prevent build up.

Also a sign the intercooler is slightly leaking, could replace it with a higher quality aftermarket model
Old 08-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
nevetsg

So I called Diesel experts and the first thing he asked was if I have had any work done on the front end. Well, yes we had a smash that was repaired by the worst repairers ever 4 months ago.
Now I am guessing that the Oil is the normal build up and the intercooler got cracked/seal broken in the smash. It is going back in to get fixed (forth time back) again next week they can determine if it is related then.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
nevetsg

I got under the car yesterday and undid the 17 screws and 4 plastic clips to remove the front under guard. I could see that the oil was definitely coming from where the intercooler out connects to a hose up the engine. There was a fair bit of gunk on the top of the front under guard and all around. The ring clamp was pretty tight so i started and revved the engine to 3K for a bit, I could see a small drop of oil start to appear.
I tried for ages to get the pipe separated at that section but failed, tried up at the manifold as well... After loosing the clamp what magic does it take to get those things apart?
cleaned the area and put all back together; will think about it again after smash repair.