Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question A Few Simple Mod Questions

Hi all.

I'm looking into some mods ATM and was wondering about a few:

What is the gain (if any) of replacing my roters with slotted ones and how much will the rotors cost?

I'm looking at doing an exhaust mod, but i don't won't a drone effect; however I do want something different. How hard would it be to have a twin oulet exhaust, such as one on the left and one on the right (much like the Pontiac GTO - or that other mob that made it : ).

I've heard a few mods done such as the "Dual LTD horn". How is this different from the standard horn? Worth it?

Thanks.

AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Also, What good aftermarket shifters will fit an AU? Any? There is one isotta one that I have been eyeing out...
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Hi all.
What is the gain (if any) of replacing my roters with slotted ones and how much will the rotors cost?
Basically they just reduce the amount of brake fade during multiple heavy brake applications. No actual performance gain just more piece of mind.

Quote:
I'm looking at doing an exhaust mod, but i don't won't a drone effect; however I do want something different. How hard would it be to have a twin oulet exhaust, such as one on the left and one on the right (much like the Pontiac GTO - or that other mob that made it : ).
On an AU sedan its not possible (ute can be done) as the fuel tank is in the way.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
I've heard a few mods done such as the "Dual LTD horn". How is this different from the standard horn? Worth it?
Fortes, Futuras and even some XRs only got a single Horn. The dual horn setup is exactly that - two horns behind the front bumper instead of one. All the wiring is there for the second horn, and you can mount the second horn using the mounting bolt for the single horn. I got a deep tone one from Supercheap for about $10 and fitted that. Does it do anything? Not really, just makes the horn a little deeper and maybe louder. Worthwhile? Depends on if you toot a lot of people or not - I do, so it is worthwhile for me.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Depends on if you toot a lot of people or not - I do, so it is worthwhile for me.
Me three, I just picked up a High-Tone Horn :
Old 16-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Interesting ... I have to put up with Sydney cabbies all of the time and I need my horn ... I find the standard horn as kinda OK ... could be a bit better though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Interesting ... I have to put up with Sydney cabbies all of the time and I need my horn ... I find the standard horn as kinda OK ... could be a bit better though.
It's not bad, but the single horn is a bit "high" and not all that loud. Twin horn's do make it that bit deeper and louder. I reckon the best would be a horn that sounds like a truck horn - would scare the crap out of some people, hearing a huge horn, but then realising it's from a falcon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I saw and heard a truck horn (from a Kenworth) in a Sukuzi Swift .... damn it was loud .... LMAO.
The car vibrated when the horn was activiated (was sitting the Swift at the time) ... LMAO
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
What good aftermarket shifters will fit an AU?
Like quick shifters ?

The rip shifter seems to be the go. Check this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=shifter

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
mattsAU1

i contemplated fitting my car with the slotted rotors but was told by a mate that worked for ABS in Melb that slotted rotors aren't effective as they dont get hot enough during normal daily driving to perform at their peak. he didnt mention any loss in braking power so i guess if u can see your disks through your rim IMO they do look better but as my rims are reasonably solid i couldnt justify spending the extra cash
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

The slotted rotors make a big difference to the stoping in a falcon..
when fitting its also a must to fit them with new brake pads..
you can feel it when you take off in the morning the brakes seem a little shabby, but after the first time you use them, and a little heat gets into the rotors and pads the car stops on a dime..
easy 20-30% better in my opinion.. the standard AU brakes arent much chop.. and if you know people new rotors can be had for $110ea, if not around $162ea..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post